Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Is the Singapore Girl letting her hair down?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Singapore Girl letting her hair down?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold
Wink Is the Singapore Girl letting her hair down?

Anyone else notice that SQ's latest print and TV ads show their "Singapore Girls" in uniform but with their hair open and flowing. Never actually do they have their hair open in uniform in real life -- always pinned tightly back in a bun. So... is SQ just teasing us, or are they really planning to let them let their hair down...? They'd look nice with their hair open, less robotic and more individual...
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
It's definitely just for the ads!
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:25 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Hello Guy Betsy, welcome back to FT !
Old Aug 10, 2005, 2:20 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Sankaps
Anyone else notice that SQ's latest print and TV ads show their "Singapore Girls" in uniform but with their hair open and flowing. Never actually do they have their hair open in uniform in real life -- always pinned tightly back in a bun. So... is SQ just teasing us, or are they really planning to let them let their hair down...? They'd look nice with their hair open, less robotic and more individual...
Agree, just for the ads I would think. They are not allowed to do that when working. Same as they can't choose their make-up but have to use the colors SQ wants. Any change to that would be a big surprise to me. Hmm, anyone with a direct line into SQ? Paging Savage25
Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:34 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demue
Agree, just for the ads I would think. They are not allowed to do that when working. Same as they can't choose their make-up but have to use the colors SQ wants. Any change to that would be a big surprise to me. Hmm, anyone with a direct line into SQ? Paging Savage25
They are allowed to let down their hair when they go into crew rest on the 345 flights

Actually, they don't have to have their hair pinned back in a bun - there's a specific hair length (as long as it doesn't reach their shoulders?) upto which they can keep their hair down as long as its straight and remains in place.

And you can always tell the ones who've been working for a while by the subtle differences in the color of make-up/nail polish from the SQ standard - they tend to use their own brands and colors in time.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Guy Betsy welcome back where have you been ?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
Like the girls, the guys often get told taht their hair has to be shorter than a certain length and they get told off by the IFS is the IFS feels if the hair length is inappropriate. One of the cabin crew boys did tell me before that some of teh IFS have even gone so far as to write reports on their crew if the hair length is too long and so on.

AS for the girls, i thinks its more appropriate as to wait staff standards. You wouldn't want a strand of hair in your satay now would you? Unless you are one of those peopel who admire the girls so much that you want a personal souvenir of them.

The same goes with outfits as well. In case you don't realise, a lot of the SQ girls tend to put on bra pads and so on just so that ah hemmm.... the uniform looks good on them. The SQ girls if im not wrong are also forbidden from wearing petty coats as ithe front portion of the kebaya has a very high cut.

For our gay audience, im not sure but maybe othe SQ boys are tempted to wear some of those new designer underwear that "supposedly" enhance the front of the uniform. Maybe thats why you often find premium cabins are filled with more SQ boys than girls.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by trekkie
For our gay audience, im not sure but maybe othe SQ boys are tempted to wear some of those new designer underwear that "supposedly" enhance the front of the uniform. Maybe thats why you often find premium cabins are filled with more SQ boys than girls.
I think that's needless speculation on your part. The premium cabins' male-to-female ratio is due more to the tension between family and work, which women tend to feel more acutely than men. The attrition rate because of the decision to pursue non-career alternatives is therefore higher among the women.

Besides, the trousers don't sport a Gucci-type (high-crotch) cut. In addition, the powder blue blazers don't do much to enhance masculine appeal IMO (though MegatopLover might disagree with me here).
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:07 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
AS for the girls, i thinks its more appropriate as to wait staff standards. You wouldn't want a strand of hair in your satay now would you?
Nope, I can certainly live without that.

The same goes with outfits as well. In case you don't realise, a lot of the SQ girls tend to put on bra pads and so on just so that ah hemmm.... the uniform looks good on them. .
Really? Aehm, I think you might be on to something. This isn't an SQ phenomenon per se IMHO. I would dare to say that a very large percentage of Singaporean women wear the "padded" kind. Triumph's (leading lingerie maker) best sellers in Asia are the "slightly advantageous" ones. Enough said. How did we get into this topic in the first place? Cheers ...

Last edited by demue; Aug 10, 2005 at 10:15 am
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:40 am
OGY

Programs: SQ (TPP8)
Originally Posted by Savage25
They are allowed to let down their hair when they go into crew rest on the 345 flights

Actually, they don't have to have their hair pinned back in a bun - there's a specific hair length (as long as it doesn't reach their shoulders?) upto which they can keep their hair down as long as its straight and remains in place.

And you can always tell the ones who've been working for a while by the subtle differences in the color of make-up/nail polish from the SQ standard - they tend to use their own brands and colors in time.
Yep... this is correct. I have a few friends who become SQ FAs. Two of them have rather short hair so they never had to bun their hair.
As for cosmetics, there is a certain guidelines in colors, but they are using their own brands.

One thing I agree... SQ really knows how to pick their girls... all these ladies (at least my friends) are very lovely... I know one from kindergarten time so I've watched how she grew up over time...
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by OGY
One thing I agree... SQ really knows how to pick their girls... all these ladies (at least my friends) are very lovely... I know one from kindergarten time so I've watched how she grew up over time...
OGY, I hope you realize how you've become the object of envy for so many.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In many of their Conde Magazine ads, the hairs are opened and photographed in that nature.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by OGY
As for cosmetics, there is a certain guidelines in colors, but they are using their own brands.
Yeah. All FAs, while in SIA training school, are "assigned" certain eyecolour to wear, based on their skin tones. Most are assigned the blue tone, though some are assigned the warmer, more subtle brown tone. Only when they are promoted to LSS that they are allowed other colour tones (though I believe this is allocated by SQ too). Of course, the trademark racy red lipstick remains.

Originally Posted by Sankaps
Anyone else notice that SQ's latest print and TV ads show their "Singapore Girls" in uniform but with their hair open and flowing. Never actually do they have their hair open in uniform in real life -- always pinned tightly back in a bun.
Only in the ads really, possibly to rebutt critics who always talked about SQ's "robotic" service? I can't imagine SQ girls with their hair down though. Totally not in line with their polished, well-groomed look.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:22 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Actually I seem to recall that FAs in ads have had their hair down for yonks. It's always a more 'romantic' vision of the Singapore Girl anyway... I mean, seriously - who expects to see them hopping on a tram in downtown San Francisco, in sarong kebaya and all?

That said - the SQ girl is one heckuva marketing success. Which young lass in Singapore has not flirted with the idea of being one? And which airline's FA uniform can boast being a popular souvenir item!
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:36 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Unfortunately, in F cabin, the boys are generally older, and usually spend more time in the galley. And why do the boys need the enhancer when I have seen a few F male pax had his "moment" while in their PJs. You never know whether that was caused by being happy to see SQ boy or girl ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.