Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Is the Singapore Girl letting her hair down?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Singapore Girl letting her hair down?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by Box5
..but the information written earlier is still probably helpful to some.
Which piece of information? The padded bra or the hard on seen in first class...
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This thread brings back memories, my oh my, I was just 7 years old then.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by fimo
And which airline's FA uniform can boast being a popular souvenir item!
Korean Air. The creepiness doesn't extend too far outside of Korean websites though.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Oh my. This must be the funniest thread I've ever read. I don't care why it came back, I'm just glad it did!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:14 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I move the motion to make this post in to a "sticky"
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:22 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
In our SIN office, one of our admin staff was an ex-SQ girl and you could tell the difference with the other girls in the office. She was super polite in her emails, she walked and carried herself in a certain way that really makes you think "wow yes she was one of them"

As for the bun (I mean the hair of course), I saw a lot of them with short hair (square cuts, jaw length) without the bun. I couldn't imagine tying a bun with that length of hair.

On the other hand, these SQ girls are almost never recognizable when not in uniforms. Even the SQ male crew say that they sometimes have hard times realizing she's a colleague when bumping into them on the streets
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
No idea how someone can randomly stumble upon and resurrect a 10-year old thread but I found it very amusing so thank you!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enelym1978
In our SIN office, one of our admin staff was an ex-SQ girl and you could tell the difference with the other girls in the office. She was super polite in her emails, she walked and carried herself in a certain way that really makes you think "wow yes she was one of them"

As for the bun (I mean the hair of course), I saw a lot of them with short hair (square cuts, jaw length) without the bun. I couldn't imagine tying a bun with that length of hair.

On the other hand, these SQ girls are almost never recognizable when not in uniforms. Even the SQ male crew say that they sometimes have hard times realizing she's a colleague when bumping into them on the streets
How do the other staff in the Singapore office act? I mean the SQ girl is polite, etc.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by enelym1978
:
:
I did not know SQ trained their girls to write polite emails.

As spoken and written English are rather different, at least in Singapore, I personally think it is a psychological thing.

When I am in a European destination city of SQ, I could spot the SQ girls quite well there.

As you have mentioned, they do have a way of carrying themselves and way of making themselves up (occupational hazard I name it). The biggest giveaway being the red nail polish.

Of course, when the girls are Singaporeans or Malaysians, their accents are further give aways.

Last edited by anaidross; Feb 19, 2015 at 9:07 am
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anaidross
I did not know SQ trained their girls to write polite emails.

As spoken and written English are rather different, at least in Singapore, I personally think it is a psychological thing.

When I am in a European destination city of SQ, I could spot the SQ girls quite well there.

As you have mentioned, they do have a way of carrying themselves and way of making themselves up (occupational hazard I name it). The biggest giveaway being the red nail polish.

Of course, when the girls are Singaporeans or Malaysians, their accents are further give aways.

My oh my, I hope you're not stalking them.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:20 pm

My ex worked for SQ for around 2 years and since she wasn't Singaporean, she lived with a few other girls from our country also working at SQ.

So I had the opportunity of speaking with a few of them during our time together and what I observed is that when newbies first start, they are really by the book with the make-up. Then you see the girls as they increase their tenure, they do more creative things with make-up, using different colours etc. and they build enough skill to be able to these unapproved stuff mildly so that the mother bird (thats the IFS) doesn't catch them out for incorrect grooming.

The thing with hair is, I think Asian girls generally do want to have longer hair but because you need to 'bun' it up onboard, it becomes really heavy and with the amount of hair spray they use, hair loss becomes a real problem. Hence some of them just find it easier to keep it short so they don't have to worry about all this. Insomnia is another problem a lot of them suffered from (especially for my ex and her friends since they were foreigners and homesick) so I doubt that helped with the loss of hair situation.

The uniform does remain a sourvenir to a lot of them though. I've been to quite a few weddings now where one of the girls from that group are getting married and the batch group all have a few photo shoots in their kebayas with their hairs down.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
My oh my, I hope you're not stalking them.
No oh no, they were stalking me...

Last edited by anaidross; Feb 20, 2015 at 2:19 am
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anaidross
No oh no, they were stalking me...
lol
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:52 am

Wow.. a 10 year old thread!

for whatever it's worth, the "Standard Operating Procedure" has always been either for the girls to have their hair short or in a French Swirl but the ads have always shown those with long hair to have their hair down

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.