Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SIA To Introduce Fuel Surcharge On All Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold

Saw this new release in SIA website: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app/...s/NE_3204.html

Very shocked to see SIA imposing the surcharge. The cheap airfare promo that it is currently offering is partially being offset with all these surcharges - insurance, fuel surcharges.

----------------------------------
From Monday 7 June 2004, Singapore Airlines (SIA) will introduce a fuel surcharge of USD 5 (five US dollars) per sector on all its services worldwide. The surcharge is subject to the approval of the relevant authorities in certain markets.

In countries where SIA has already introduced a fuel surcharge, including Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and France, the current surcharge will be discontinued on 7 June and superseded by the USD 5 per sector rate.

This move is necessary in light of rising fuel prices and in line with action being taken by other major carriers to help defray part of the higher fuel cost.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
SIA and SilkAir raise fuel surcharge

More updates on the fuel surcharge.

Source: The Business Times, Singapore

SINGAPORE - Singapore Airlines and sister carrier SilkAir said on Thursday that skyrocketing oil prices have forced them to raise ticket prices by up to US$12 (S$20.57) beginning next month.

The fuel surcharge was announced as the price of crude oil reached another all-time high on Thursday, at US$47.56 per barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, over continued supply fears.

Passengers will be charged an additional US$7 for flights between Singapore and other parts of Southeast Asia, the airlines said. Flights outside of the region will cost an additional US$12.

'The revised surcharge will help defray, in part, the increase in costs arising from record fuel prices,' the airlines said in separate statements.

The only unaffected flight would be between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where a levy of US$4 remains.

The Singapore Airlines announcement comes just two days after chief executive Chew Choon Seng said the airline's pricing structure was under 'active review.'

In June, Singapore Airlines - the world's second-largest airline by market value - imposed a US$5 surcharge on all flights worldwide when oil prices hit US$40 a barrel.

Fuel costs account for about one-fifth of Singapore Airlines' total expenditure and it will consume over 1.4 billion gallons of fuel, or 27.3 million barrels, in the current financial year ending March 31, 2005, according to company estimates.

Crude prices have risen due to a tight supply-demand situation, continuing violence in Iraq, a financial crisis at Russian oil giant Yukos and, most recently, instability in Venezuela and Nigeria - both key OPEC members.

Airlines may lose as much as US$6 billion on international routes because of higher oil prices, the International Air Transport Association warned recently.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks for the heads up. If I ticket my bookings before end of month I wont get charged the extra surcharge, right?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Thanks for the heads up. If I ticket my bookings before end of month I wont get charged the extra surcharge, right?
If you are firmed on travelling, would suggest that you ticketed as soon as possible cos SIA may change their mind and push forward the date of increasing the fuel surcharge given the oil prices now.

Have a good trip!

Last edited by hclee01; Aug 21, 2004 at 8:51 am
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:38 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Thanks

4 x US$12 per trip = lots of kiwi pesos
Old Aug 24, 2004, 1:38 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I was told Aug 26 is the date, at least for tix/flights ex-AU...
Old Aug 24, 2004, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Thanks

4 x US$12 per trip = lots of kiwi pesos

4 X US$12 per trip = even more malaysian liras
Old Aug 24, 2004, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
I was told Aug 26 is the date, at least for tix/flights ex-AU...
Thanks - better get cracking!
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

My TA is adamant there is no date yet announced when this takes effect ex-NZ. Maybe being tied in with NZ which also hasnt announced increase fuel surcharge (other than confirming it was being looked at). Now that NZ's financial result is released (a couple of hours ago) it may only be a day or so before it happens anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.