Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Family of most Taiwanese victims on SQ006 receive less than USD$82,000 from SQ.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family of most Taiwanese victims on SQ006 receive less than USD$82,000 from SQ.

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2004, 7:26 am
barkingcat

Angry Family of most Taiwanese victims on SQ006 receive less than USD$82,000 from SQ.

After my other post regarding the huge jury award given to the US victims of that crash, I learned that most family members of the Taiwanese victims have been given less than USD$82,000 in compensation from Singapore Air.

Below is part of an email I received from a friend in Taiwan. Her fiancee was lost in the crash.

"Shortly after the crash, SQ and its insurance carriers offered nearly US$400,000 for each victim's family. The fine print is that the surviving family member must sign a document giving up the right to file any lawsuit against SQ in the future. They objected to this clause, as the crash investigation had not been completed and the cause/responsibility of the disaster not determined yet.

Unfortunately, many of these families who did NOT sign the document within the 2-year limit imposed by SQ. Shortly after that, SQ dropped the compensation to USD$82,000. The company is firm on this figure and those who didn't accept it were told to try their luck in court.

Fortunately, some of the victims had dual US and Taiwan nationalities and their family members will be filing lawsuits against SQ in U.S. courts. Taiwanese and Singaporean court do not normally allow compensation as large as the ones awarded by U.S. courts."

Old May 9, 2004, 8:21 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I think the insurance company is the one paying.... right?
Old May 10, 2004, 11:24 am

It is indeed the insurors who are paying out.

Singapore Aviation and General Insurance Pte Limited

Who are incidentally based in Airline House, Airline Road, Singapore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.