Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Waitlist for SQ suites cleared, but not connecting flights. What can I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2024, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Wait listed for hkg-jfk flights, only the middle segment (sin-fra. Yes the A380 suites) cleared, the other 2 segments got canceled. Is it possible to get SQ to reinstate the canceled segments, even at a downgraded class?

Cannot post screenshot because my account was just created
Old May 12, 2024, 5:45 am

Programs: Krisflyer
When you say "canceled" I assume you mean because it is less than two weeks to departure date. Mixed class awards are usually priced at the rate of the highest cabin, so you would potentially be paying F miles for PE seats - are you OK with that? Did you check for award availability in other cabins? If there's availability then it could be worth trying but you may find that most agents lack the skill level to create a mixed class booking and price it correctly.
Old May 12, 2024, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onlySIA
When you say "canceled" I assume you mean because it is less than two weeks to departure date. Mixed class awards are usually priced at the rate of the highest cabin, so you would potentially be paying F miles for PE seats - are you OK with that? Did you check for award availability in other cabins? If there's availability then it could be worth trying but you may find that most agents lack the skill level to create a mixed class booking and price it correctly.
Thanks for the advice. I just checked and there is award business class from UA. Does SQ allow mixed carriers?
Old May 12, 2024, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by Ender117
Thanks for the advice. I just checked and there is award business class from UA. Does SQ allow mixed carriers?
You can combine SQ Saver Awards with other StarAlliance carriers but not Advantage. (I assume SIN-FRA is Suites Standard). In any event, the pricing would be the highest class of any segment for the whole itinerary.
Old May 13, 2024, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMK77
You can combine SQ Saver Awards with other StarAlliance carriers but not Advantage. (I assume SIN-FRA is Suites Standard). In any event, the pricing would be the highest class of any segment for the whole itinerary.
Yes my cleared waitlist was standard (non-saver) award. I saw UA saver business and both standard and saver SQ business on SQ website for my connection flight.

The rep confirms that he sees those available tickets but he cannot add any of them to my booking. Apparently (according to him) add a segment to a existing booking does not share the same 'pool' of available seats as creating a new booking. The best he can do was to create a new booking and add the miles together sector by sector (which is way over expensive).

I am not sure if SQ's system is truly as screwed as this or simply the rep was not as experienced...
Old May 13, 2024, 1:16 am

Yes my cleared waitlist was standard (non-saver) award. I saw UA saver business and both standard and saver SQ business on SQ website for my connection flight.

The rep confirms that he sees those available tickets but he cannot add any of them to my booking. Apparently (according to him) add a segment to a existing booking does not share the same 'pool' of available seats as creating a new booking. The best he can do was to create a new booking and add the miles together sector by sector (which is way over expensive).

I am not sure if SQ's system is truly as screwed as this or simply the rep was not as experienced...
it is correct.
If you are looking for HKG-JFK, and you intend to book mixed class, you need to have the availability of the entire route.

ie. HKG-JFK in business class. And then you can do mixed class booking with HKG-SIN n FRA-JFK in business and SIN-FRA in suite.

you cant simply find availability of each individual segment. It does not work that way as SQ allocate different quota for different segments. More common know as married segment
DiamondMile, Ender117 and shuigao like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 7:40 am
Suspended

One cannot (as in: never) combine any StarAlliance availability with Advantage Awards. While married segment is different from individual segment by segment availability it is not possible to combine Advantage Awards with Star Alliance availability (this is codified as Saver).

This is annoying if you are looking for a connecting flight in Europe: SIN-FRA-HAM might be available but if SIN-FRA is only available as Advantage, you cannot add in the LH segment FRA-HAM as this is Saver.
Old May 13, 2024, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMK77
One cannot (as in: never) combine any StarAlliance availability with Advantage Awards. While married segment is different from individual segment by segment availability it is not possible to combine Advantage Awards with Star Alliance availability (this is codified as Saver).

This is annoying if you are looking for a connecting flight in Europe: SIN-FRA-HAM might be available but if SIN-FRA is only available as Advantage, you cannot add in the LH segment FRA-HAM as this is Saver.
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
it is correct.
If you are looking for HKG-JFK, and you intend to book mixed class, you need to have the availability of the entire route.

ie. HKG-JFK in business class. And then you can do mixed class booking with HKG-SIN n FRA-JFK in business and SIN-FRA in suite.

you cant simply find availability of each individual segment. It does not work that way as SQ allocate different quota for different segments. More common know as married segment
Thanks you two. Not exactly what I had hoped for, but at least saves me another fruitless call with SQ...

Had to say their award system feels almost purposely inconvenient. What a shame, I have always wanted to try their suites.
Old May 14, 2024, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Agree that the inability to combine SQ Advantage with other partner Saver flights is punitive. Other *A programs such as UA and AC allow this with ease.
Old May 14, 2024, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Had to say their award system feels almost purposely inconvenient. What a shame, I have always wanted to try their suites.
Nothing stops you from flying Suites given you already have a seat. You just need to find more miles for the additional segment (or pay for it).
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 3:35 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Thanks you two. Not exactly what I had hoped for, but at least saves me another fruitless call with SQ...

The other option would be to try if they could add on FRA-JFK segment to the SIN-FRA segment, and deal with the HKG-SIN separately, which is the shorter of the three segments. Sounds like this might not work, but you never know, you are not changing your origin by adding FRA-JFK, which may (or may not) lessen married sector issues.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 5:14 am

Couldnt OP have waitlisted for hkg to jfk as one entire trip?

Waitlisting for 3 separate trips might run into such issues
Old May 15, 2024, 5:21 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Couldnt OP have waitlisted for hkg to jfk as one entire trip?

Waitlisting for 3 separate trips might run into such issues
It seems the OP did waitlist as one trip, with all three sectors waitlisted. But it can and does happen that only 1 segment clears and the others dont and there can be a ticketing time limit on the confirmed sector (or if its 14 days before travel any waitlists that arent cleared get cancelled).

Last edited by lokijuh; May 15, 2024 at 5:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.