Wiki Posts
Search

Booking SQ flights with pts...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2024, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Booking SQ flights with pts...

Never done it and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger for LAX-SIN-MLE (and back)
I WAS looking to book 1/2 of my trip on QR but they are having IT issues and trying to book through BA errors out.. I may have just stranded 85,000 pts there. :-()
That being said, I'm a bit leery now of using SQ's WEB site to book. It is showing availability for the flights I want and they are not waitlisted and the cost is what I would consider reasonable. Anything I need to know before transferring my hard earned pts over there? does my traveling companion need an SQ account or just me?
Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Speaking of waitlisted flights, I probably should assume that if they aren't waitlisted it is only a matter of time before they will be? Snooze you lose so to speak?
Old Apr 28, 2024, 7:51 pm
THR

If you're booking using your points, they need to be a redemption nominee in your account. They don't need an account themselves.

There was a recent post that a redemption nominee can take up to 72 hours to add - so you might want to add them now and while you await your points to transfer, otherwise you will be further delayed.

If the flights show as available, they should be. There is generally no issue with phantom availability on SQ (to my knowledge) these days (when booking SQ flights). But as with all award flights, they are subject to change - someone else could get in ahead of you before you transfer your points.

Final note : some have had recent success in getting a hold on award while you await for the points to transfer - but that is dependent on finding the right agent that will do that for you.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by THR
If you're booking using your points, they need to be a redemption nominee in your account. They don't need an account themselves.

There was a recent post that a redemption nominee can take up to 72 hours to add - so you might want to add them now and while you await your points to transfer, otherwise you will be further delayed.

If the flights show as available, they should be. There is generally no issue with phantom availability on SQ (to my knowledge) these days (when booking SQ flights). But as with all award flights, they are subject to change - someone else could get in ahead of you before you transfer your points.

Final note : some have had recent success in getting a hold on award while you await for the points to transfer - but that is dependent on finding the right agent that will do that for you.
Thanks for that great info!
As far as a Redemption nominee... somewhere in my account I assume? I'll go I'll go looking for it.
Thanks again!!
Old Apr 28, 2024, 8:24 pm
THR

Yes - login, go to profile, and select redemption nominees.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by THR
Yes - login, go to profile, and select redemption nominees.
Found it! Thanks...
I had forgotten that 5 years ago, my wife and I, were to embark on a great adventure to Europe flying on SQ. Had to cancel last minute as I missed my flight to get to my positioning city. (IAH) I obviously had set her up then.
But thanks for the heads up as I would have freaked when it asked me for my redemption nominee.
THR and renila like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:23 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by pkerr
Speaking of waitlisted flights, I probably should assume that if they aren't waitlisted it is only a matter of time before they will be? Snooze you lose so to speak?
If you're booking well ahead you should be fine. Especially if you can find availability on similar dates that also suit you. Make sure it's a "saver award" as otherwise you'll just end up splashing out more miles for the same flight. Also ensure that your search is actually for 2 pax as it's easy to overlook this. You can also try 3 or 4 just to see how many seats are available in "saver" overall in case you're worried they might disappear in the meantime.

The booking engine itself is very easy and intuitive, you really cannot go wrong with it. Works like a charm each and every time!
Old Apr 29, 2024, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
If you're booking well ahead you should be fine. Especially if you can find availability on similar dates that also suit you. Make sure it's a "saver award" as otherwise you'll just end up splashing out more miles for the same flight. Also ensure that your search is actually for 2 pax as it's easy to overlook this. You can also try 3 or 4 just to see how many seats are available in "saver" overall in case you're worried they might disappear in the meantime.

The booking engine itself is very easy and intuitive, you really cannot go wrong with it. Works like a charm each and every time!
Thanks for the tips...!! Very helpful.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 7:12 am

In J, the only seats worth taking are bulkheads. If youre not PPS, they open up T-96. Be insistent. It took me one chat and one phone call until I finally secured three bulkhead seats SIN-NRT-LAX.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imbisibol
In J, the only seats worth taking are bulkheads. If youre not PPS, they open up T-96. Be insistent. It took me one chat and one phone call until I finally secured three bulkhead seats SIN-NRT-LAX.
The ONLY seats in J...?
If not availalble, go economy? ;-)
Old May 1, 2024, 8:26 am
THR

Thats an extreme statement. Bulkheads are preferred but the other seats are fine.
commaspace and shuigao like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
In J, the only seats worth taking are bulkheads. If youre not PPS, they open up T-96.
So basically you might see J award availability, but when completing the award booking it simply won't let you select the bulkhead seats? And that restriction gets automatically lifted at T-96 at which point you could try to change the seat online?
Old May 2, 2024, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by aster
So basically you might see J award availability, but when completing the award booking it simply won't let you select the bulkhead seats? And that restriction gets automatically lifted at T-96 at which point you could try to change the seat online?
Youd have to call or chat with them. Chat did not work for me and they would not release seats even if ExpertFlyer noted they were just still blocked. Others have had success with chat. Calling worked for me.
Old May 2, 2024, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by THR
Thats an extreme statement. Bulkheads are preferred but the other seats are fine.
I may have exaggerated, sorry. But for me, long haul SQ J on non-bulkhead is a PITA. As always, YMMV.
Old May 2, 2024, 9:08 am
Community Director Emerita

A word of encouragement: SQ award flights have become my go to for Asian travel. I earn lots of AMEX points and can easily transfer them to SQ. I try to get the nonstop from LAX to SIN, thus avoiding a layover in Japan. I can then book a connecting flight to my final destination. I don't find the seats completely comfortable as your body has to be seated at a bit of an angle, but anything is better than sitting in the back.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
A word of encouragement: SQ award flights have become my go to for Asian travel. I earn lots of AMEX points and can easily transfer them to SQ. I try to get the nonstop from LAX to SIN, thus avoiding a layover in Japan. I can then book a connecting flight to my final destination. I don't find the seats completely comfortable as your body has to be seated at a bit of an angle, but anything is better than sitting in the back.
Good to know... I have MLE-SIN-SFO booked for next year. Aside form the bulkhead seats, any particular location preferred over another?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.