Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Should I pay extra just to obtain the PPS Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to the FF programs as I am a casual traveller. I only travel internationally approx. 2-3 times a year in J Class so I typically don't pay much attention to miles/points for FF status.

After reviewing my bookings, I've noticed that I've accrued $18K in PPS value already, and I have another trip scheduled for late March valued at $5.7K. This leaves me $1.3K short of reaching the PPS Status. The PPS value is valid until August, but I don't anticipate traveling again until October or November.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma about whether it's worth spending the extra money to gain the PPS status, considering my travel frequency? (Ps. My plan was to upgrade from J Class to F Class to make up the difference.)

Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:56 am

Upgrade from J to F would probably cost you >1.3k but it could be worth it.

But if you are truly a casual traveler then you won't really benefit much regardless
fakecd likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 5:41 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
if you have financial standing and liberty to pay F just for sake of PPS i would say go for it. Whilst hard benefits is of little value (sounds you travel Revenue J casually) in times of IRROPS that status will save you more than those without.
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Seriously it’s only worth it if SQ is REALLY your go to airlines (remember flights on other *A flights do not count toward PPS value). It tend to force you to stick to SQ even if you can find something better (in service and price) somewhere else.

Last edited by williamluk; Feb 26, 2024 at 10:42 am
Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:15 pm

Nope.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:28 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As others said, depends how much you would travel on SQ subsequently to make it worth it. If a lot then PPS should offer better protection in case of IRROPS and if you have a lot of KF miles and are looking for redemptions it should also offer (in theory) somewhat better award availability when using KF miles.

​​​​​​IF your class of travel is already Biz then you should already be taken care of rather well so you may not notice much of a difference on that front.

Whether any of that is worth an extra 1.3k spend only OP can decide. YMMV.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:31 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat; SQ PPS; AA Platinum
Outside of being allowed to book the bulkhead in business, which I take advantage of and occasionally being able to use the SilverKris lounge vs. the Gold lounge when flying in steerage, as many others have said, PPS isn't that great. Some protection on irrops is nice to have but thankfully I haven't had to test this out.

If you reside in Singapore, I have been invited to a few PPS events like an early screening of a Marvel movie or a social event, but nothing to write home about. You're pretty close to reaching PPS and I do value being able to book the bulkhead in C on long haul flights since I really hate the foot cubby, so I would probably do it.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
I attribute a very high value to bulkhead seat assignment as the additional space makes for a very different inflight experience. So even for just 2 to 3 return flights a year a 1,300$ price tag makes sense to me.
bpk6h and demue like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 2:37 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SMK77
I attribute a very high value to bulkhead seat assignment as the additional space makes for a very different inflight experience. So even for just 2 to 3 return flights a year a 1,300$ price tag makes sense to me.
Was thinking the same given all the comments on this board about securing a seat in row 11. Just booked 4 flights yesterday selecting row 11. The value is subjective but as you say the additional space certainly makes a difference.
demue likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 11:55 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I agree on the bulkhead as long as OP travels more than 1-2 flights this is definitely a nice and very useable perk.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 1:06 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by bpk6h
Was thinking the same given all the comments on this board about securing a seat in row 11. Just booked 4 flights yesterday selecting row 11. The value is subjective but as you say the additional space certainly makes a difference.
I didnt even realize that was a PPS perk, until right now. I fly in row 11 a fair but, but would still say not really worth it for OP

In the olden PPS members flying J used to get F lounge access (and maybe check-in too). That was a useful perk. Nothing quite as useful as tat now.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 1:10 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
In the olden PPS members flying J used to get F lounge access (and maybe check-in too). That was a useful perk. Nothing quite as useful as tat now.
PPS Solitaire members flying in any class receive F lounge (upon arrival @ SIN as well) and F check in privileges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.