Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines - Economy Prices

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines - Economy Prices

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand in 2025 and I'm getting budget prices for the itinerary I would like to do.
At the moment this includes a flight from SIN to SYD, around about the 23rd July.

Looking at prices this year, it is typically SGD 2155 for a one way ticket in economy. But if I travel a week later, it drops to SGD 826.

It is a similar situation in December and January. In the last week of December, prices are about SGD 826.
Then in January they go up to about SGD 2284.

Does anyone know why there is such a difference in July?
Is something happening in Singapore or Sydney at that time of year?

Thanks, Varig_dc10
Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Varig_dc10
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand in 2025 and I'm getting budget prices for the itinerary I would like to do.
At the moment this includes a flight from SIN to SYD, around about the 23rd July.

Looking at prices this year, it is typically SGD 2155 for a one way ticket in economy. But if I travel a week later, it drops to SGD 826.

It is a similar situation in December and January. In the last week of December, prices are about SGD 826.
Then in January they go up to about SGD 2284.

Does anyone know why there is such a difference in July?
Is something happening in Singapore or Sydney at that time of year?

Thanks, Varig_dc10
Australians returning home from winter school holidays which are in July. Likewise Australians returning in January for summer holidays.

High inbound demand to Australia in January also from international students that start academic year in February.
Mwenenzi, lokijuh and Varig_dc10 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks JClasstraveller.

I will probably move my itinerary back a week to avoid the higher prices.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:21 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
At those prices I’d consider Scootplus over SQ economy if you are definitely traveling then .

Downsides: only one meal and no in flight entertainment and limited flexibility (if you can’t travel you can’t refund and have to rebook on same route).

Upsides: bigger seat and more legroom.
Mwenenzi and Varig_dc10 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lokijuh
At those prices I’d consider Scootplus over SQ economy if you are definitely traveling then .
Downsides: only one meal and no in flight entertainment and limited flexibility (if you can’t travel you can’t refund and have to rebook on same route).
Upsides: bigger seat and more legroom.
Are more options with various airlines SIN<--->Australia, but less with SIN<--->New Zealand.
Too many people think Australia = SYD & New Zealand = AKL, Looking at other AU-NZ non stop destinations can offer more
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changi_Airport
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Hi,

lokijuh and Mwenenzi, thanks for the replies.

I did consider ScootPlus, but the Scoot flight leaves at 2am,
I'd be quite happy to save on overnight accommodation and travel during the night. But my wife doesn't travel well and wants daytime flights only (where possible).
Singapore Airlines have a flight that leaves about 9am.
Also I have never flown on Singapore Airlines and I would like to try them.

I could look at connecting flights through another Australian airport or even somewhere like Kuala Lumpar.
But I would prefer to do a direct flight. Like I said, my wife doesn't travel so well.

Moving the itinerary back one week, seems to be the obvious solution.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:01 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i dont think july 2025 fares are published u.less u checking July24 + dec/jan 25

jan as other said is always full. but i assume if you book now there are sale fares. make sure u buy refundable fare the whole world can be upside down in a years time.

if you frequently visit australia, i found ex AU econ prx is 50pct of what i get for ex HKG so make sure u check ex AU as well
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fakecd
i dont think july 2025 fares are published u.less u checking July24 + dec/jan 25

jan as other said is always full. but i assume if you book now there are sale fares. make sure u buy refundable fare the whole world can be upside down in a years time.

if you frequently visit australia, i found ex AU econ prx is 50pct of what i get for ex HKG so make sure u check ex AU as well
Yes, I've been looking at prices for July 24, December 24 and January 25.
I'm just pulling together a budget at the moment. But it was noticeable how expensive the flight was on certain dates compared to others.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:42 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Varig_dc10
I did consider ScootPlus, but the Scoot flight leaves at 2am,
I'd be quite happy to save on overnight accommodation and travel during the night. But my wife doesn't travel well and wants daytime flights only (where possible).
Singapore Airlines have a flight that leaves about 9am.
Scoot also have a 10am flight several days a week, for example:

Also consider entering through Melbourne as well ( I am Singapore based, but from Melbourne so totally biased haha) , 3 and soon to be 4 airlines offer daytime flights to Melbourne (Singapore Airlines, Scoot, Emirates and Turkish - as of March).
Varig_dc10 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.