Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Double Booked Flight on Premium Economy & Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:15 am
Original Poster

I'm new to the points/miles thing, so please don't judge.

I booked a Premium Economy Lite flight from SFO - SIN for ~$600 (cash) several weeks ago. Only several days after booking did I check redemption miles for business class (100K). After that, I saw there was a one to one point transfer with Chase UR, which I have a ton of.

Since my original booking in PE wouldn't let me upgrade with miles due to the fare class, I booked the business class as a separate ticket using miles. Now I have two tickets on the exact same flight.

Anything I can do at this point to even get partial money back or credit towards another flight from my original ticket? I booked the PE ticket two weeks ago, and the Business Class ticket this evening.

Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:51 am

You're SOL if they don't refund your PE ticket. At that point you would have to cancel your Business Saver ticket and pay the miles redeposit fee.

At the same time, they once gave me flight credit for a cash Y Lite ticket when I booked a new Business Class award ticket. But it did take some time and pleading with the agent.
Elliott Thomas likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:18 am

PY ticket: Many airlines will let you take the same PY flight at another date within 1 year. Even if the ticket is nonrefundable. Zero chance you get cash refund if it is non-refundable.
J ticket: You can cancel it within 24 hours. It is US law. Or you can also take the flight at the later date as above when the 24 hours has lapsed.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by commaspace
PY ticket: Many airlines will let you take the same PY flight at another date within 1 year. Even if the ticket is nonrefundable. Zero chance you get cash refund if it is non-refundable.
J ticket: You can cancel it within 24 hours. It is US law. Or you can also take the flight at the later date as above when the 24 hours has lapsed.
The 24 hour "US law" doesn't only apply for J tickets. It is for any and all flights
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by flytalkflyer
The 24 hour "US law" doesn't only apply for J tickets. It is for any and all flights
Why don't you read before "actually" me? I've never said it applies to only J ticket. He bought his PY ticket long ago so there's no point bringing it up. It is only relevant to his J ticket because he still has a 24 hours window.
Elliott Thomas and Deckter like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:29 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
PE Lite can't be cancelled but you can change the date, so if you have another trip planned you could rebook it towards that after paying a fee.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

I chatted with Singapore Air to explain the situation, and they gave me a *hopeful* response:

"Thanks for holding. Here’s what I can do, I will create a task to our relevant team to check with them if we can get an approval to refund your commercial ticket. Please be advise that it’s not guarantee."

I can provide an update in a few days. Thanks for all the help from everyone.
wtcmor likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Wow, just received a full refund for my PE flight back to my CC. Pretty good of them to do that given the fare rules.
bpk6h, chris63, onlySIA and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:56 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
bending the rules being good or bad, but very good outcome.

iff i was to be devil's advocate, i presume they thought of you as potentially high commercial value client (sounds like OP never flown sq?) so Sq wants to "hook" you by letting you try the J service and make OP a return client.

hearing this story alone i want to keep flying them
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:35 pm

OP is now hooked for life… congratulations!
Elliott Thomas and fakecd like this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fakecd
iff i was to be devil's advocate, i presume they thought of you as potentially high commercial value client (sounds like OP never flown sq?) so Sq wants to "hook" you by letting you try the J service and make OP a return client.
Or maybe they just gave OP a break.

Noting against OP, but I really doubt SQ considers someone who transferred Chae points for a J redemption in lieu of a $600 PE light fare a "high commercial value client." SQ already knows how to identify those, they're Solitaire PPS.
Deckter, THR and Elliott Thomas like this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
SQ can be very helpful to resolve tricky situations and they definitely don't look at the underlying economics.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 6:04 am
THR

Originally Posted by SMK77
SQ can be very helpful to resolve tricky situations and they definitely don't look at the underlying economics.
I don’t think that would be the general opinion. Their call centre staff and front line staff aren’t that helpful from experience.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by THR
I don’t think that would be the general opinion. Their call centre staff and front line staff aren’t that helpful from experience.
You are correct in a sense that I am a Solitaire member and might have most often access to more experienced staff and staff with more motivation to make a case to their supervisor. I still think that SQ applies a lot more common sense and shows more generosity than other airlines when looking at appeals.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by THR
I only deal with SQ a few times a year, but IME it's rather inconsistent, sometimes very helpful, sometimes a wall of "no."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.