Wiki Posts
Search

6 weeks to reinstate miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2023, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

6 weeks to reinstate miles?

How can it possibly take 6 weeks to reinstate miles? This is absurd, especially when they expire relatively quickly. On other airlines the reinstatement is instantaneous. This, along with the ridiculous process of having to call 3 times to cancel a trip and pay the mileage redeposit fee and it seems it is not worth it to credit to SQ or transfer to them anymore. The current process rivals MU for customer unfriendliness.

Is there a way to get the miles back quicker or do I just wait for someone in Singapore to push a button and release my miles back to me?
Old Aug 1, 2023, 9:14 am

FWIW, I call right away to start the cancelation process, and then can give the credit card details over the phone's automated system for payment. Miles are often redeposited in ~72 hours after this is done. Six weeks is the high end but not the baseline.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hardworking21
FWIW, I call right away to start the cancelation process, and then can give the credit card details over the phone's automated system for payment. Miles are often redeposited in ~72 hours after this is done. Six weeks is the high end but not the baseline.
I made the mistake of cancelling using the website. I then got an email from someone telling me they were working on it. My flights didn’t get cancelled however so I wrote them again and they said they’d get to it asap. They then sent another email saying I have to call to refund my miles anyway. When I called the first thing the guy told me was that I should do it online! Finally he let me cancel and use the automated phone system for payment. I’ve been charged but miles are nowhere to be found still a week later.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I made the mistake of cancelling using the website. I then got an email from someone telling me they were working on it. My flights didn’t get cancelled however so I wrote them again and they said they’d get to it asap. They then sent another email saying I have to call to refund my miles anyway. When I called the first thing the guy told me was that I should do it online! Finally he let me cancel and use the automated phone system for payment. I’ve been charged but miles are nowhere to be found still a week later.
Yeah the online form is a total waste of time imo - have gone through that part of the user journey that you describe too many times. Fingers crossed you get the miles soon!
Old Sep 10, 2023, 4:15 pm
azj

Yikes, 6 weeks is indeed absurd. I currently have a mileage ticket in economy for travel in about 3 weeks. Business class fares and dropped and I want to cancel the mileage ticket, book and pay for business and use the miles to offset the cost. The phone agent, after explaining 3 times what I want to do, said I have to cancel, redeposit and pay the fee to be able to tell how long the redeposit will take. My miles expire in December, so I need to use them. I don't think I want to risk this archaic return process to possibly not be able to use my miles and book the business class ticket. Unless there's a mySQ upgrade offer, we'll have to just deal with economy class and hope the middle seat can be blocked.

Any advice?
Old Sep 10, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Miles are redeposited instantaneously when you call. Six weeks is the standard blurb by when you see any reimbursed fees and taxes in your credit card statement.
bpk6h and bent like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 7:48 pm
azj

Originally Posted by SMK77
Miles are redeposited instantaneously when you call. Six weeks is the standard blurb by when you see any reimbursed fees and taxes in your credit card statement.
Thanks, on the phone now to try and pull this off. The phone agents are so difficult to work with! But I'm making more progress with the current one than the one I spoke to earlier today. I don't think what I'm asking for is particularly complicated. I'm literally trying to throw them thousands of dollars, you'd think they'd be more able to work with me.

Update... the phone agent was useless. I ended up canceling and sure enough, the miles were instantly redeposited. Unfortunately, the fares jumps significantly, again. I booked anyhow and if they drop, hopefully I can re-price. Lessons learned...

Last edited by azj; Sep 10, 2023 at 8:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.