Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket hold

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:30 pm
O62

Adding another datapoint: this still can be done. Held business saver tickets after calling 6 different agents. Tried the US, Singapore, and Australian numbers but they all seemed to route to the Philippines center anyways. The key the last time seemed to suggest that I wanted to create a booking and then pay for it later. She looked up the itinerary, confirmed the space and cost, and then held it for 10 calendar days.

Other times I got "checked with my higher authorities" or a blanket "we cannot hold reservations" or "you must book waitlists from the website."
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:58 pm

Just wanted to add my datapoint. Called 833-727-0118 and received an agent in their Philippines call center. Asked to place a hold for an award booking while my points were in transit from my credit card. Received the standard response that award holds are not possible.

However, I pressed further on the issue, stating that I and colleagues of mine have been able to do this recently, and so I know that it was still possible. I also told her that I had just made a J booking earlier today for my outbound and wanted to secure my return while PE seats were still available. I don't know if that recent booking swayed things in my favor, but after putting me on hold to speak to a supervisor, she came back and told me that they would allow the hold as a one-time exception (she repeated the one-time nature several times).

Looking back, what I should have done while I had the points in my account for the outbound was to go through with the award booking for my return flight until the final step. That creates the hold. Once that was done first, I could've proceeded to complete my outbound J booking.

My points were coming from different sources. I transferred MR for my J booking, which was instant, but am using UR for my return in PE. Status for the hold is shown as "Reserved." Agent told me that I would be able to finalize the booking online once the points are in my account, but I could also call back in if I'm unable to do it through the site.

Edit: Points showed up two days later, but was unable to complete the booking online. Had to call back in and the agent had to make a manual change to the booking to "unlock" it so that I could complete the process online.
Singapore_Air and Cometstar like this.

Last edited by karmasalad; Jan 22, 2024 at 9:05 pm
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:25 am

I tried over a dozen times in the past day to get an agent to hold award tickets. In the end, the seats went on waitlist so I had to move on. For the future, is there a best way fo phrase the request?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:51 pm

Another successful hold DP on SQ-operated flight:

1. Chatted with an agent via chatbot, "Please be advised we do not hold seats, they must be booked immediately." Asking if there was nay other department to help, chat agent didn't budge.

2. Called US Number (833-727-0118), followed prompts to assistance with an award reservation. I said I needed help making an award reservation, agent asked if I had tried doing it on the website/app. I said I found the flight online, but I couldn't make it yet still waiting on points to arrive in my account from Chase. Agent asked flight details, short hold to confirm award availability, then sent me a confirmation. Said I needed to pay for the ticket within 21 days, could be done online.

--

Confirmaiton PDF begins:The itinerary below is a summary of your booking record. It does not entitle you to travel on the listed flight(s) unless you hold a valid ticket.

Please note that the ticket issuance time limit for your Singapore Airlines/SilkAir flights is (t+21), after which your booking will be cancelled. Kindly arrange for your ticket(s) to be issued early and do take into consideration the operating hours of your local Singapore Airlines office. Visit our website at singaporeair.com for contact details and operating hours of the Singapore Airlines Office nearest to you.

If your booking contains flight(s) operated by other airline(s), please note that the other airline(s) do impose ticket issuance time limit(s) as well. Kindly arrange for your ticket to be issued early .

Last edited by ibapun; Feb 19, 2024 at 5:53 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Just called SQ to make an award hold tonight, the agent was efficient and the call was over in 10 minutes. I have 2 weeks until the points transfer in.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by ibapun
Another successful hold DP on SQ-operated flight:

1. Chatted with an agent via chatbot, "Please be advised we do not hold seats, they must be booked immediately." Asking if there was nay other department to help, chat agent didn't budge.

2. Called US Number (833-727-0118), followed prompts to assistance with an award reservation. I said I needed help making an award reservation, agent asked if I had tried doing it on the website/app. I said I found the flight online, but I couldn't make it yet still waiting on points to arrive in my account from Chase. Agent asked flight details, short hold to confirm award availability, then sent me a confirmation. Said I needed to pay for the ticket within 21 days, could be done online.

--

Confirmaiton PDF begins:The itinerary below is a summary of your booking record. It does not entitle you to travel on the listed flight(s) unless you hold a valid ticket.

Please note that the ticket issuance time limit for your Singapore Airlines/SilkAir flights is (t+21), after which your booking will be cancelled. Kindly arrange for your ticket(s) to be issued early and do take into consideration the operating hours of your local Singapore Airlines office. Visit our website at singaporeair.com for contact details and operating hours of the Singapore Airlines Office nearest to you.

If your booking contains flight(s) operated by other airline(s), please note that the other airline(s) do impose ticket issuance time limit(s) as well. Kindly arrange for your ticket to be issued early .
Called the US Number and followed the same prompt to the letter. The first agent was able to reserve the flight and finished in ~10 min.
Also the reservation expires in 9 days.
ecgz88 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Any DPs on geting an SQ agent to extend a existing hold by a few days? Is it even possible?
hi IAD_flyer - were you able to get SQ to extend an existing hold?
Old Mar 9, 2024, 8:21 am

I'm trying to gather from the DPs in this thread how soon points transfer from the different credit cards. So MR points transfer instantly and UR points take a few days, generally speaking? I have not yet transferred to SQ at all, so it would be a first time. Would that possibly delay a transfer? I'll need about 450k points, so it's a considerable amount.

I plan to transfer MR, unless UR would happen to have a transfer bonus at the time of booking.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:10 pm

Adding another DP that I was able to request to put my ticket on hold while my UR points are being transferred. I had tried multiple times, the first 2 times failed and they said they no longer hold tickets. I called back again today and it worked, I stated up front that the points are being transferred, can you reserve a ticket for me first?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Vinh D Nguyen
Adding another DP that I was able to request to put my ticket on hold while my UR points are being transferred. I had tried multiple times, the first 2 times failed and they said they no longer hold tickets. I called back again today and it worked, I stated up front that the points are being transferred, can you reserve a ticket for me first?
How long ago was it when you were told "no"? From recent posts, it seems that ticket holds are possible again. Hard to tell what exactly is SQ's policy and whether being granted or denied a ticket hold is an exception or not.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by snic
How long ago was it when you were told "no"? From recent posts, it seems that ticket holds are possible again. Hard to tell what exactly is SQ's policy and whether being granted or denied a ticket hold is an exception or not.
called three times - they all said no
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
PSA - Singapore Airlines does no longer allow award ticket holds and there is no change in policy.

There are people that call 50 times till they find an agent that is willing to violate policy. That's not SOP.

Reading "success stories" here is meaningless. Award ticket holds are no longer offered.
bpk6h, demue and Singapore_Air like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I found a decent economy award from NYC to FRA. I'm waitlisted for the Business class seats. From reading this, if my seat is later confirm, how long do I have to transfer my points to cover that seat?

THank you.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:07 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I found a decent economy award from NYC to FRA. I'm waitlisted for the Business class seats. From reading this, if my seat is later confirm, how long do I have to transfer my points to cover that seat?

THank you.
Usually (when waitlisted via website / app) the time to confirm the cleared waitlist is 72hrs. In theory most major credit card programs transfer points between instant to 48hrs if it goes correctly.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by demue
Usually (when waitlisted via website / app) the time to confirm the cleared waitlist is 72hrs. In theory most major credit card programs transfer points between instant to 48hrs if it goes correctly.
my experience is 9 days based on the waitlist that is clear in Feb this year.
tfizzle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.