Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Customer Service Refund

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Help with Customer Service Refund

About three months ago I booked my first Singapore Airlines flight from CPH to BKK (via SIN) - 2 x Business Class tickets.
Due to the late arrival into SIN, we missed the connecting flight to BKK so we were rebooked onto the next flight. However, as there was no available business class seats we went in economy.

My challenge has been to get Singapore Airlines to engage to refund me for the 2 x tickets where I paid for business but they delivered economy. For three months now their customer services just replies saying 'we're very busy and someone will get back to you' - and of course they never do. It's not rocket science to process a couple of refunds. It seems like their strategy is to ignore me and hope I'll forget about it.

Is this normal to have such terrible customer service? Are there any contacts that would be helpful in escalating this?

I enjoyed the flight service but if this is how customers are treated then I'm unlikely to book with them again.
Many thanks
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:31 pm

This certainly doesn't sound like the norm for them to delay the refunds for a missed connection that was not your fault. I would definitely be wanting my refund back, or at least another free upgrade voucher for a similar short haul sector flight to be used in future.

Unfortunately, not sure how to further escalate this, but for you to keep trying to call in and hope you get someone competent to look into the case for you.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I assume you are chasing under EU 261 rules? I am not sure the specifics of how it works as it relates to connecting flights, but as the sector was <1500km, that would mean a 30% refund of that sector of the ticket - so 30% refund of 6% of the ticket (if return ticket) means a refund of 1.8% of the overall ticket cost (3.6% if one way ticket). But I could be wrong on my calculations, if it relates to overall distance you could be due 75% of 6% (4.5% of original ticket cost).

If chasing without reference to EU 261, I suspect the cost of a business class flight connecting from CPH-SIN in business to BKK-SIN in economy is probably the same as, or even more than, the cost of business class all the way through, so their systems will probably say no refund is due!

Maybe it would be better to ask for some form of compensation (miles?) or customer service goodwill gesture for the downgrade as it was due to factors outside your control, rather than asking for a "refund".

Having said all that, SQ customer service at the moment is extremely slow. Plenty of threads about that on here.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I assume you are chasing under EU 261 rules? I am not sure the specifics of how it works as it relates to connecting flights, but as the sector was <1500km, that would mean a 30% refund of that sector of the ticket - so 30% refund of 6% of the ticket (if return ticket) means a refund of 1.8% of the overall ticket cost (3.6% if one way ticket). But I could be wrong on my calculations, if it relates to overall distance you could be due 75% of 6% (4.5% of original ticket cost).

If chasing without reference to EU 261, I suspect the cost of a business class flight connecting from CPH-SIN in business to BKK-SIN in economy is probably the same as, or even more than, the cost of business class all the way through, so their systems will probably say no refund is due!

Maybe it would be better to ask for some form of compensation (miles?) or customer service goodwill gesture for the downgrade as it was due to factors outside your control, rather than asking for a "refund".

Having said all that, SQ customer service at the moment is extremely slow. Plenty of threads about that on here.
look at how SQ price their ticket , usually CPH-SIN-BKK is cheaper than CPH-SIN.

random example show different of 7000DKK. For 28/2/23 and return 14/3/22. Around USD 1000 cheaper to fly to BKK.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
look at how SQ price their ticket , usually CPH-SIN-BKK is cheaper than CPH-SIN.

random example show different of 7000DKK. For 28/2/23 and return 14/3/22. Around USD 1000 cheaper to fly to BKK.
Yeh, that's where it's almost better in these situations to request for a goodwill gesture than a refund. A refund is tied up with ticket pricing, and there is very little autonomy to do anything. Customer service (in the back office, not on the phone) probably have more latitude than dealing with ticketing. EU261 not withstanding of course - but looking at CPH-BKK return fares, which range between 17000 and 44000 DKK, EU261 could lead to a refund of as little as 306 DKK ~ $40USD (or at most $110 USD).
bent likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

Thanks for the feedback. The main problem seems to be that no one at Singapore Airlines customer service responds - I've had four separate responses from them all saying 'the right department have your complaint, sorry for the delay but someone will be in touch' - of course no one ever does respond. I've taken it up with my credit card as essentially I paid for something and they failed to deliver. However Amex told me that because it's been over 120 days since I flew, their automatic redress has expired and SA are likely to ignore them too!

I appreciate the pricing of this ticket may be an issue but it's just a complete lack of customer service to ever respond - I always thought SA had a good reputation but clearly this is not the case.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I thought EU261 compensation is calculated based on the entire trip (how long it takes you to reach your final destination) so CPH-SIN-BKK, not just the SIN-BKK connecting segment.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:38 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I thought EU261 compensation is calculated based on the entire trip (how long it takes you to reach your final destination) so CPH-SIN-BKK, not just the SIN-BKK connecting segment.
Correct, the flight was operating from EU country (Denmark) so definitely falls under EU261/4 and the full flight distance counts. Assuming I understand correctly and the OP arrived over 3 hrs late into BKK then he is owed 600 Euro per pax compensation under EU261/4 unless SQ can prove extraordinary circumstances.

Then on top of it comes a downgrade of the SIN-BKK sector which may not yield much in the sense of compensation on its own as others explained, but could be combined with above claim.

Op should definitely read up on his/ her rights under EU261/4 and check maybe with Danish (assuming they reside in Denmark) transportation authorities guidance for consumers/ passengers if new to the regulation.

Last edited by demue; Oct 5, 2022 at 10:43 pm
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by demue
Correct, the flight was operating from EU country (Denmark) so definitely falls under EU261/4 and the full flight distance counts. Assuming I understand correctly and the OP arrived over 3 hrs late into BKK then he is owed 600 Euro per pax compensation under EU261/4 unless SQ can prove extraordinary circumstances.
OP was probably not delayed 3 hours if booked on the next flight SIN->BKK.

Regardless, I think OP's issue is that he wants somebody to answer the damn phone and actually talk to him.

OP, one point to be clear. There is no airline that is going to refund the full tickets for being stuck in the back on a 1 hour flight after being up front half way around the world. So you have to set your expectations at a reasonable level.

Of course, if you can't talk to anybody does not matter what you expect :-)
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Op should definitely read up on his/ her rights under EU261/4
There's a very extensive and helpful thread in the BA forum on this: The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by exwannabe
OP was probably not delayed 3 hours if booked on the next flight SIN->BKK.
Maybe, maybe not. With frequencies still not back to pre Covid timings you could catch an unlucky gap and arrive over 3 hrs late.

To get to talk to someone from that "team" will be tough, I have only ever managed to converse via email with this "anonymous" entity. Good luck to OP for sure, be persistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.