FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   What has changed? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/2083156-what-has-changed.html)

itadakimasu Aug 23, 2022 1:57 am

Originally Posted by RayG (Post 34535984)
Lol, what?! Any recognition from the crew re. this. For a minute I thought this was plastic, if I had not spotted the fork and spoon. Looks worse than during the height of covid smh.

Yes the IFM was extremely apologetic, but this was clearly a ground staffing / catering error - I just find it incomprehensible that these sorts of mistakes are being made. It's not like they're a budget airline who's new to the game, and this was at one of their largest stations in Europe; furthermore, as I said, there were a whole load of other amenities and crockery which were also not uplifted for the flight.

itadakimasu Aug 23, 2022 1:59 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 34537253)
Hey, there was food loaded at least. Could have been worse, glass half full ;).

Absolutely, on the list of first world problems, this probably does not rank very high - I just find it concerning that the consistency this airline was once renowned for is slowly going down the pan....:(

itadakimasu Aug 23, 2022 2:07 am

Originally Posted by aritrixa (Post 34537562)
Last night, watched on Youtube (Channel: Patrick Shea) when he was flying SQ034 that was posted 3 weeks ago and it was very obvious that Penhaligon's amenity kit and slippers/socks were there when he arrived at his seat.
Will confirm if this now became standard on SQ034 when I board for SFO on 23 September...

The Penhaligons amenity kits are available on all long-haul flights in JCL, as are now the new LaLique ones in FCL / Suites - as part of the cost-cutting most items like this are now on request only in JCL / PEY / EY, but there are some complex leaders who do ask for them to be placed at all business class seats.

If you hold status with SQ, just ask for the crew to update their inflight iPad with your preference(s) - this will be stored against your profile and should mean that you will be brought those items without having to prompt them.

RayG Aug 23, 2022 2:58 am

Originally Posted by itadakimasu (Post 34537716)
Yes the IFM was extremely apologetic, but this was clearly a ground staffing / catering error - I just find it incomprehensible that these sorts of mistakes are being made. It's not like they're a budget airline who's new to the game, and this was at one of their largest stations in Europe; furthermore, as I said, there were a whole load of other amenities and crockery which were also not uplifted for the flight.

Thats good at least for the CC to recognise. They have been hustling more to make up for some of these issues. CC are still, thankfully, the strongest part of SQ operations.

I can accept some inconsistency due to staffing shortages etc (even in London). However, for the revenue prices tickets are going for these days, there should be limited room for excuse. I agree, they should be meticulous or contingency plan accordingly so pax are not inconvenienced. I do have the same worry that these inconsistencies will continue to remain long beyond these excuses (justified or not as they may be) are no longer valid.

It may seem minor in the grand scheme of things, but missing things like mother of pearl spoons, sides for caviar, like recently out of FRA just adds up to a sub-par overall impression of sloppiness.

itadakimasu Aug 23, 2022 7:39 am

Originally Posted by RayG (Post 34537806)
Thats good at least for the CC to recognise. They have been hustling more to make up for some of these issues. CC are still, thankfully, the strongest part of SQ operations.

I can accept some inconsistency due to staffing shortages etc (even in London). However, for the revenue prices tickets are going for these days, there should be limited room for excuse. I agree, they should be meticulous or contingency plan accordingly so pax are not inconvenienced. I do have the same worry that these inconsistencies will continue to remain long beyond these excuses (justified or not as they may be) are no longer valid.

It may seem minor in the grand scheme of things, but missing things like mother of pearl spoons, sides for caviar, like recently out of FRA just adds up to a sub-par overall impression of sloppiness.

I couldn't agree more. These sorts of issues are happening way too often now, and month after month, the same excuses are starting to wear thin - (station) management really need to get a grip and not put the cabin crew in the sorts of predicaments I've been experiencing recently. On all bar one flight, the cabin crew have been excellent, so it isn't fair that they bear the brunt of unhappy passengers when they're let down by the ground staff.

demue Aug 23, 2022 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by itadakimasu (Post 34537720)
Absolutely, on the list of first world problems, this probably does not rank very high - I just find it concerning that the consistency this airline was once renowned for is slowly going down the pan....:(

I was just being cheeky to add some humor to the occasion :). I do understand your sentiment and concerns and agree. Especially in F / Suites one can have high standards and expect them to be met considering the premium positioning of the product and SQs own claim to excellence where they do struggle at the moment.

Even in all my past J flights this year, you can so obviously see that crews onboard are often held together by the senior crew members while the younger ones (maybe newly recruited, freshly trained) try to find their footing and service can be a bit "rough around the edges".

For example, I have had many blank stares when I would order a "silvermoon" as post meal (coffee / tea) drink. It is one of the TWG blends offered, but the young ones are not so familiar with what is available (yet) while senior crew won't even blink. All understandable to a degree, but with prices as high as they are these days customer expectations haven't exactly decreased either and goodwill only lasts so long. YMMV.

carrotjuice Aug 23, 2022 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 34540436)
For example, I have had many blank stares when I would order a "silvermoon" as post meal (coffee / tea) drink. It is one of the TWG blends offered, but the young ones are not so familiar with what is available (yet) while senior crew won't even blink.

This post made me smile. Whenever I ask for “Choya” the senior crew would ask if I want soda and ice with it. The younger crew would be like deer in the headlights…

Singapore_Air Aug 24, 2022 5:58 am

An Instagrammer has said that pre-departure beverages would come back in October 2022: https://www.instagram.com/stories/fe...0915268534501/.

jjjohn Aug 24, 2022 10:30 am

If you check the in-flight menu online, under amenity section.
It has clearly stated by request in Business Class.
On the other hand, it is available in First Class.

​​​​​​

itadakimasu Aug 25, 2022 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by aritrixa (Post 34534335)
So then, one hundred thousand dollar questions:
Will the hot towel, pre departure drink and amenities be back in the future? Will the Union be less stubborn? :)

No word on the hot towel service but pre-departure drinks in JCL will cease to be on-demand, and resume to full service from 1st September 2022 :tu:

demue Aug 25, 2022 10:22 pm

Fair enough that some people really seem to like the towel service, but if you ever talk to crew ask them all the "creative" uses they have seen from pax of said towels. ;)

(... and yes,. I'm aware that they are washed and sanitized properly by SIA, just I wouldn't put them onto my face still.)

RayG Aug 25, 2022 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 34546187)
Fair enough that some people really seem to like the towel service, but if you ever talk to crew ask them all the "creative" uses they have seen from pax of said towels. ;)

(... and yes,. I'm aware that they are washed and sanitized properly by SIA, just I wouldn't put them onto my face still.)

From what I have heard, it is considered an "old man thing" to wipe your face with the towel in some Asian countries ;) Facial skin is also more sensitive so best to use for hands only.

sl00001 Aug 27, 2022 1:59 am

1 Sep pre-departure drinks will be reinstated

Singapore_Air Aug 27, 2022 4:47 am

Finally. Good to see sense has prevailed but this conclusion took way too long, hampered by stakeholders who should have known (or do know) better. Stupid people with COVID-brains.

onlySIA Aug 28, 2022 2:18 am

Originally Posted by itadakimasu (Post 34545032)
No word on the hot towel service but pre-departure drinks in JCL will cease to be on-demand, and resume to full service from 1st September 2022 :tu:

I'm flying ex-LHR on 1 Sep so I look forwards to this development!