Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor experience on SQ25

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: Alaska
price is more about supply and demand, especially in Y. You can pay more for a Y ticket than a discounted business class ticket, but you still get the same Y service.

If i paid $2,000 for a return Y, I would not have minded paying extra $60 for a better seat. You chose "A" seat with your eyes open. You might bet that you could get a better seat or whatever, but you lost the bet.

I did not remember any better SQ long haul Y service, maybe slightly better, but nothing wonderful. Short haul, SQ still has the younger and better fleet. That alone, will offer a better service than competitors.
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by freed0m; Apr 7, 2022 at 5:46 am
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:10 am

I just wonder which bird was the OP on.
AFAIK, SQ had changed all their B77W interior when the F seat reduces from 8 to 4.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:05 am

The cost cutting in Y catering is way too much. The food is so little!
Armchair Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:35 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
TBH, if you were stuck in an "A" seat in 3-3-3 on a 77W, a window seat on the A380 (3-4-3) would have meant you were equally stuck there too, so not sure why that's a point of complaint...
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:52 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jjjohn
I just wonder which bird was the OP on.
AFAIK, SQ had changed all their B77W interior when the F seat reduces from 8 to 4.
As OP said it was supposed to be an A380, maybe some confusion on the start of A380 service? It started on the 27th from SIN as scheduled (which meant first SQ25 FRA-SIN was the 29th). SQ25 was SWH on 27th and SWP on 28th.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:31 am

Echoing the comments above, I don't understand the complaint regarding 77W Y because (i) as far as I know, the 77Ws have nearly identical Y cabin as the long haul A350, and (ii) by no account can the current 77W cabins be considered old.

The comment regarding 3 seats on the window side is even more confusing, as (i) the A380 would have been no different, and (ii) SQ 77W is one of the few remaining that has retained 9-across as opposed to most other airlines who have 10-across.

What a strange set of complaints, much of which sounds like it could have been avoided for just a small fee to select seats. Hard to know what the OP was expecting in Y?
jxd, bpk6h, Singapore_Air and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Even back pre-COVID it could be hit and miss flying economy on SQ. A good crew who did extra drinks services, a good meal and no crying children or overweight neighbouring passengers, versus the opposite, made all the difference.
I do suggest that you make an effort to stand up and move around, even if it inconveniences the passengers next to you, as this seems to be a cause of your dissatisfaction and wouldn't have been any different with a better crew, different plane etc.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 9:45 pm
jxd

Originally Posted by Armchair Flyer
Provide a fair, reasonable, and let’s face it value for money Y experience? Or is that simply too much of a mental challenge for you to grasp?
If its not value for money why did you book it then? Did SQ force you to book their flights?

Some sample one way flights (on Y) 17 Nov (AU$)

LHR to SIN
SQ $847
BA $850
QF $983

DXB to SIN
SQ $487
EK $589

SYD to SIN
SQ $633
QF $544
BA $640

FRA to SIN
SQ $3899
LH $3899

(Round trip)
SQ $1204
LH $1207
TH (1 stop) $1063
AF (1 stop) $1023
AY (1 stop) $1027
TK (1 stop) $1110

Not sure why it's so expensive to fly one way from FRA to SIN but the same flight on LH costs exactly the same (and slightly more on a return flight) and I'm pretty sure you'll have a better experience on SQ than on LH. Yes there's a premium of ~$100 but many people are willing to pay that for the convenience of a non stop option. The fares seem pretty fair to me so not sure what you're complaining about?
Armchair Flyer and 17cc like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 10:50 pm

Seem like someone paying Y fare but expecting aisle access business class seat.

food portion is all the same. Not sure why there is complain also. Or expecting paying a more expensive Y seat with business class serving ?

If you feel that the 777 Y seat is bad, lucky you never fly SQ pre-covid when they still fly the old 777-200 or 777-300 (old version).
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I'm not sure this is an SQ specific problem. Most carriers flying widebodies on longhaul flights (other than A330's and A340's) have A seats with 2 seats beside them. I presume you were unable to allocate an aisle seat in the rear cabin (for free) before hand as they were all occupied? Sometimes it is worth stumping up the extra for seat selection if you are one of those who hate being stuck in a window seat for a long flight.
So I saw on a flight in PY, on A350, a seat costing $200! I realized it is near the rear of the plane and on the side by itself, with a big compartment for storing your bags. So aisle on one side and other side window.
Of course, $200 is all relative, given that the flight cost only $600 anyway it seemed a bit for me.

Is that a good strategy for SQ? Pay for seat?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So I saw on a flight in PY, on A350, a seat costing $200! I realized it is near the rear of the plane and on the side by itself, with a big compartment for storing your bags. So aisle on one side and other side window.
Of course, $200 is all relative, given that the flight cost only $600 anyway it seemed a bit for me.

Is that a good strategy for SQ? Pay for seat?
These particular seats, in travel blogs and the like, are well known/heavily promoted as the best PY seats on the aircraft - that is the ULH aircraft that only has J and PY. Therefore I am not surprised they are getting away with charging $200 for them. Fairly unique to have a the same seat being both a window and aisle seat in any cabin that has the word "economy" in it. (As an aside, this also provides extra value for PPS/TPPS as if I remember correctly, they can allocate these seats for free).
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:47 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lokijuh
(As an aside, this also provides extra value for PPS/TPPS as if I remember correctly, they can allocate these seats for free).
That's correct.
lokijuh likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:00 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
It was supposed to be on an A380 but ended up a B777. No problem with that at all, but the aircraft interior was old, shabby and worn. The entertainment system was equally old generation. And as for the legroom and 3 abreast seating window sides, well, let’s just say that being jammed into a window seat for 12+ hours wasn’t optimal. The food and service wasn’t that great either. For that read poor.
Hello Armchair Flyer, thanks for sharing your experience. I am a long time SQ flyer in economy.

Just a comment as well as a question. On long haul flights, SQ's 777's would typically have the 2013 Y seat, which is a generation back from the 2017 Y seat on their newer A350's, but that itself is a fairly state of the art seat, with modern IFE, so apart from the age of the plane, the actual 777 cabin product should be fairly close to what you had on your onward A350 sector.

I am curious if there was an equipment substitution to an older 777, rather than one usually deployed on long haul routes, on the date you travelled. My question is, do you have the aircraft registration? Or the flight date, which would allow the specific aircraft to be determined on flightradar24 etc.

I've always been very happy with my long haul flights on SQ's 777 (Although nothing beats a spanking new plane with that "new plane smell".). My latest long haul Y flights last month were on SQ's slightly older A359s with the 2013 Y product, and those were excellent as well.

Last edited by sqyf; Apr 11, 2022 at 9:48 am
Old Apr 11, 2022, 3:30 am

The food and service wasn’t that great either. For that read poor.
I actually found it very interesting that the FA announced the food choices not simply with 1 word: chicken or fish, but actually describing it at length, so long that I got confused and just said "fish".
I was seated in PY, don't know if that made any difference.

From my experience SQ is better in economy than in first. That is not literally true but for expectations, economy in many carriers is junk, cattle-herding, etc. First-class is delightful. SQ first-class isn't as delightful as most other carriers, from my experience. Nothing that goes beyond. But maybe that is because I've had SQ economy FA go beyond (providing food at unscheduled time because I was hungry, eg prior to takeoff).
Cryofern and Armchair Flyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.