Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor experience on SQ25

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
Poor experience on SQ25

I recently flew back to Asia FRA-SIN in Y and had probably one of the worst flights I’ve ever had with any airline. And that’s saying something with over 30 years of both business and leisure travel under my belt.

It was supposed to be on an A380 but ended up a B777. No problem with that at all, but the aircraft interior was old, shabby and worn. The entertainment system was equally old generation. And as for the legroom and 3 abreast seating window sides, well, let’s just say that being jammed into a window seat for 12+ hours wasn’t optimal. The food and service wasn’t that great either. For that read poor.

Considering that this is supposed to be a premier international routing and that the fare in Y was almost what J cost 2 years ago, if I didn’t know that Singapore Airlines are capable of much better stuffs I’d never use them again. Really, it was that bad. And I’d be surprised if many of my fellow travellers on that flight didn’t think the same.

My connecting flight from SIN was perfect, an A350 which was a darn site more comfortable than the B777 previously. That’s the comfort and all round experience that I expected on the FRA-SIN routing.

When you fly premier routings and pay $2,000 USD for a return flight in Y that used to cost $800, you expect better. Or people will vote with their feet.

Allez

AF
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:09 am

Programs: KF
Actually you have the option not to travel on the replacement aircraft , an old one, if you really think it doesn't justify the money you spent on that cattle class. Probably fly again with SQ Y if you can snitch 800 bucks premier routing tickets. Otherwise, move on. After all, it did brought you to SIN safely, didn't it?
Dean1953 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:23 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Also, on the SQ 77W (assuming that's what you got), to be fair the seating in Eco is 9-abreast (3-3-3) vs. many carriers reducing seat and aisle width and squeezing 10 seats abreast on a 3-4-3 config.

Yes, I'd also hate to be in the window seat with two people blocking me to get out, but there should be a lil more room (width wise). YMMV.

Last edited by demue; Apr 5, 2022 at 2:26 am
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by demue
squeezing 10 seats abreast on a 2-4-2 config.
Might want to correct that to 3-4-3!
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:31 am

When could you get a Business class return at $2000 for FRA-SIN?
Am sure your $2000 return was not just FRA-SIN as the website showed many available at around 1000 euro.
Food is never good on air.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:43 am

The A380 only appear in the summer schedule that start last week. So far, there is no 777 on SQ25 since summer schedule start.

so not sure why you are saying that it is suppose to be A380?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:27 am

Why were you jammed into a window seat? I would presume the flight was nowhere near full
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Might want to correct that to 3-4-3!
Ups, I guess my thumb is too big, you are right of course, corrected.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by Armchair Flyer
It was supposed to be on an A380 but ended up a B777. No problem with that at all, but the aircraft interior was old, shabby and worn. The entertainment system was equally old generation. And as for the legroom and 3 abreast seating window sides, well, let’s just say that being jammed into a window seat for 12+ hours wasn’t optimal. The food and service wasn’t that great either.
All 77W aircraft with the 4 seat First Class also got refurbished in Economy Class. I am not aware that any old, shabby or worn aircraft has been flying in the last 12 months. SQ pretty much retired everything that was old and updated or refreshed all interiors. No more dreadful A330 and no more old Suites. I flew on the first aircraft with new Suites and the aircraft just had a 'refresh' to make sure everything is in top condition.

Pro tip: if you buy E class, you are very close to some restricted PY fares.
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
Originally Posted by jjjohn
When could you get a Business class return at $2000 for FRA-SIN?
Am sure your $2000 return was not just FRA-SIN as the website showed many available at around 1000 euro.
Food is never good on air.
Just when the pandemic broke Mrs AF had 2 future returns DUS-MNL. She is a KF Gold, still is. And each of those return tickets was (actually in the region of, and in Euro) 2250. Booked well in advance, of course. But my Y return …cost of that I have mentioned.
As for the food, I think SingaporeAir think we are all children aged 7 3/4.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why were you jammed into a window seat? I would presume the flight was nowhere near full
My pre flight assumption also. Back of the bus was jam packed full. That was me by the way, back of the bus. Middle of the bus still Y a little less so but of course Singapore Airlines want to change up to 60$ Per seat per leg extra.
On exiting, Premium Eco and J looked to have been pretty full also, based on the blankets and slippers around the seats.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanderer9020
Actually you have the option not to travel on the replacement aircraft , an old one, if you really think it doesn't justify the money you spent on that cattle class. Probably fly again with SQ Y if you can snitch 800 bucks premier routing tickets. Otherwise, move on. After all, it did brought you to SIN safely, didn't it?
Useful to know thank you. And that’s why I have no problem flying a B777, it did get me safely to Singapore and another flight got me where I needed to be. But really, the FRA-SIN leg was very much a below par experience, hence why I wanted to share. Passengers are not fools and should not be taken as such.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMK77
All 77W aircraft with the 4 seat First Class also got refurbished in Economy Class. I am not aware that any old, shabby or worn aircraft has been flying in the last 12 months. SQ pretty much retired everything that was old and updated or refreshed all interiors. No more dreadful A330 and no more old Suites. I flew on the first aircraft with new Suites and the aircraft just had a 'refresh' to make sure everything is in top condition.

Pro tip: if you buy E class, you are very close to some restricted PY fares.

Thank you so much for the tip. That is really appreciated. . i actually like the 777’s, such a safe and reliable aircraft hence why I would never complain per se to be on one. But this was truly an old bus, albeit I am sure an extremely airworthy one. The 777’s tatty interior condition reminded me of a long return trip I did to Asia and the Antipodes 4 years ago in J starting on a Singers A380 ZRH-SIN. That aircraft was also similarly the worse for wear. But back then, I wasn’t paying for the ticket ..

I wish now that I had taken pics to post here to support my post. But I could not get out of my seat for 12 1/2 hours to get my gadget And once in sitting in something “A” in the back of the bus 3-4-3 you ain’t coming out unless you are in dire need, that’s for sure.

Only to add, I know SingaporeAir can do an awful lot better. But, IMHO let them be forewarned. Do not treat passengers as fools and idiots with money to burn. Premium carrier means premium product. Not something that a few years ago you would expect on Garuda or Philippine Airlines.

I did add that my connecting flight was a super Y experience, just as I expected. And, actually, a bit more. So why effectively dump on people paying premium fares on a premium routing? This airline, renowned for all round quality (and of course I am KF) has to - not needs to - give paying passengers value for their money and make them want to come back. Not to be so dissatisfied that they complain on social media

I apologise, I am still smarting from the experience. It really was that unpleasant.

Bon courage.

AF
Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:44 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I wish now that I had taken pics to post here to support my post. But I could not get out of my seat for 12 1/2 hours to get my gadget And once in sitting in something “A” in the back of the bus 3-4-3 you ain’t coming out unless you are in dire need, that’s for sure.
F
I'm not sure this is an SQ specific problem. Most carriers flying widebodies on longhaul flights (other than A330's and A340's) have A seats with 2 seats beside them. I presume you were unable to allocate an aisle seat in the rear cabin (for free) before hand as they were all occupied? Sometimes it is worth stumping up the extra for seat selection if you are one of those who hate being stuck in a window seat for a long flight.

And those beside you wouldn't have let you out at any point in the flight? I couldn't do 12.5 hrs without going to the toilets at least once.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
No toilet break for 12 1/2 hours. Because you were seated in something "A". And no pictures for us. The story keeps getting better and better. I think we get you didn't like your experience. Ten more post will not make that point any clearer.

SQ has slashed the experience in Economy Class a long time back. SQ became an iconic airline when people were willing to pay more for their SQ ticket. Back then, you paid a little bit more but you knew you would be in excellent hands with outstanding service and amenities. Unfortunately, that has changed and people are no longer willing to spend on their journey but save their pennies for their destination - at least in Economy Class. The average ticket price went down and down and down. Economy is sold by price and not brand or service anymore. And SQ couldn't maintain standards: you cannot subsidise 343 passengers on each and every A380 without going bankrupt. So cuts were made to stop the bleeding. And there was no other choice.

Fast forward and post Covid and out of the blue ticket prices are back in very profitable territory. And that's creating a problem: people spending top dollar expect a top product. But Singapore Airlines can't just undo ten years of watering down their products. I find it bizarre that you pay thousands of dollars for a Premium Economy ticket and your beverage list says 'White Wine', 'Red Wine', 'Vodka' and 'Gin' - all tacky one liners with zero information. Let's hide we are handing out cheap ..... At least let's try.

I think higher prices are here to stay and SQ hasn't quite grasped that just pocketing the windfall will not do it.
Armchair Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.