Round trip return a year out

Old Feb 11, 2022, 6:30 pm
  #1  
grc
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 7
Round trip return a year out

Looking at a yearlong trip from the US to UK. I understand that I can't book the return that far out. If I understand what I'm reading, I can book the round trip and make the return date 300 days or so out there. Then, assuming I buy a ticket that allows changes, a couple of months before that return date I can change the flight to my preferred return date.

Right now Singapore Airlines says there is no fee, aside from differences in scheduled prices for my return date.

My question is do I correctly understand all the above?

Also, is there a better approach I should consider?

And, aside from price increases what other concerns should I have?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
grc is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2022, 7:06 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 6,518
Youre largely correct. Note the no fee change is unlimited until 31 Mar 2022, after that only one more by 31 Dec 2022 - so make sure your final change is done by then.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:52 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SIN (LEJ once a year)
Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 7,579
Well, not sure if you are considering cash ticket or award, but do make sure that your ticket allows changes to the return segment AFTER you have flown the initial (outbound) flight.

From your description, I think that is what you are planning, but that quirk is often not permitted unless you have super flexible fares. I wouldn't count on this being covered as part of the free Covid related change policy.

For awards, unless there is a schedule change or so caused by SQ, changing the return after flying the first flight of the ticket is not really permitted IIRC, though they allow it for PPS / Solitaire members.
demue is offline  
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:24 pm
  #4  
grc
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
You’re largely correct. Note the “no fee change” is unlimited until 31 Mar 2022, after that only one more by 31 Dec 2022 - so make sure your final change is done by then.
Originally Posted by demue
Well, not sure if you are considering cash ticket or award, but do make sure that your ticket allows changes to the return segment AFTER you have flown the initial (outbound) flight.

From your description, I think that is what you are planning, but that quirk is often not permitted unless you have super flexible fares. I wouldn't count on this being covered as part of the free Covid related change policy.

For awards, unless there is a schedule change or so caused by SQ, changing the return after flying the first flight of the ticket is not really permitted IIRC, though they allow it for PPS / Solitaire members.
Our trip got delayed so I am just getting back to this. At this time we would fly in mid-July 2022, book a return in March, 2023 but want to change it to July, 2023 when we get within the booking window. I'm trying to understand their change policy but I get lost in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
grc is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:33 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 6,518
Note the policy has been extended:​​​​​​ https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/d...ary-rebooking/


Make unlimited changes to your booking

With complimentary rebooking, you can:
• make unlimited changes to your booking on or before 31 May 2022; and
• make one additional change after 31 May 2022.

All booking change fees will be waived if your ticket is eligible for complimentary rebooking. All you have to do is pay the fare difference, if any.

Any booking change you make must be before your original travel date or within a year of your ticket’s date of issue, whichever is earlier. For example, if your ticket was issued on 15 June 2021, you must make your changes before 15 June 2022. You can find your ticket’s date of issue in the e-ticket pdf attached to your booking confirmation email.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:17 am
  #6  
grc
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by carrotjuice

Make unlimited changes to your booking

With complimentary rebooking, you can:
• make unlimited changes to your booking on or before 31 May 2022; and
• make one additional change after 31 May 2022.

All booking change fees will be waived if your ticket is eligible for complimentary rebooking. All you have to do is pay the fare difference, if any.

Any booking change you make must be before your original travel date or within a year of your ticket’s date of issue, whichever is earlier. For example, if your ticket was issued on 15 June 2021, you must make your changes before 15 June 2022. You can find your ticket’s date of issue in the e-ticket pdf attached to your booking confirmation email.
Thanks, I'd read that and, sorry to say, it is the source of my confusion. Is my "original date of travel" the date of my flight out or is it the original date of my flight back?

If it is the return date and I want to stay for a year, then I can't buy the ticket until just before the anniversary date - otherwise I will hit up against the year of the ticket's original date of issue. In other words if I buy the ticket in May, 2022 I would have to rebook the return no later than May, 2023 (rather than July when I want to travel).

Or, and maybe this is my ah-ha moment, are they saying I have to change the booking before the original travel date (the return date, not the first flight date), but that change can be for a more distant flight.

Maybe trying to explain myself I finally understood what they are talking about.

Last edited by grc; Apr 30, 2022 at 9:23 am
grc is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2022, 5:20 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 6,518
Originally Posted by grc
At this time we would fly in mid-July 2022, book a return in March, 2023 but want to change it to July, 2023
There are two variables at play here if your intention is to change the return - which is the EARLIER OF original flight OR one year from ticket issuance.

Your original flight is March 2023, but your ticket was issued in May 2022. My understanding is you need to contact SQ to change the return leg before March 2023, not May 2023?
grc likes this.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old May 2, 2022, 2:42 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Mileage Plus
Posts: 458
Originally Posted by grc
Thanks, I'd read that and, sorry to say, it is the source of my confusion. Is my "original date of travel" the date of my flight out or is it the original date of my flight back?

If it is the return date and I want to stay for a year, then I can't buy the ticket until just before the anniversary date - otherwise I will hit up against the year of the ticket's original date of issue. In other words if I buy the ticket in May, 2022 I would have to rebook the return no later than May, 2023 (rather than July when I want to travel).

Or, and maybe this is my ah-ha moment, are they saying I have to change the booking before the original travel date (the return date, not the first flight date), but that change can be for a more distant flight.

Maybe trying to explain myself I finally understood what they are talking about.
Have you checked if there is a price differential between booking the trip as a round trip versus booking each segment as a one-way trip. If there is not a material difference, you have options for the return segment..... a) book now for as close to your intended flight date, and then wait until you are in the reservation window for your desired July date .... and then either rebook when it first opens up, or monitor prices over time and rebook when there is no price differential to you original booking..... b) do not book the return segment now, and wait until the reservation window opens.
grc likes this.
Brostman is offline  
Old May 2, 2022, 5:22 pm
  #9  
grc
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Brostman
Have you checked if there is a price differential between booking the trip as a round trip versus booking each segment as a one-way trip. If there is not a material difference, you have options for the return segment..... a) book now for as close to your intended flight date, and then wait until you are in the reservation window for your desired July date .... and then either rebook when it first opens up, or monitor prices over time and rebook when there is no price differential to you original booking..... b) do not book the return segment now, and wait until the reservation window opens.
Thanks for helping me with this. So far, one way trips from Manchester to Houston are much higher than a round trip ticket (even with potential fare increases. Still working on travel plans, so the actual reservations are a month away right now.
grc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.