Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
2005 - 2019 discussion can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/493018-book-cook-thread-47.html

Menus can be viewed at https://inflightmenu.singaporeair.com/home
Print Wikipost

Book the cook 2020 onward

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:24 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by weijola
Flying out in a week from JFK for my wife's birthday. I know I should keep my expectations for catering muted at this outstation, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of the below. I think I'm leaning towards the duck (on F menu as well) or seabass, but I haven't seen any reports on this thread. I am also wondering if the chicken rice ex-JFK is even on the same planet as what we'd get ex-SIN. Thank you!

In-flight menu:
Braised Beef Short Rib with Chimichurri Salsa
Roast Duck Lai Fun Soup
Slow Baked Seabass with Creamy Lemon Caper Sauce
Steamed Chicken with Cordycep Flower and Wood Ear Mushrooms

BTC:
Angus Beef Burger
Chicken Rice
Grilled Shrimp and Scallops
Pan Roasted Veal Cutlet
Prawn pork dumpling noodle soup
Seafood Congee
Slow Roasted Beef Fillet
White Truffle Ravioli
Had the beef fillet x JFK last year in J and it was worse than unmemorable. But, it was a grilled beef fillet, not slow roasted.

If I wanted beef I'd probably go with the short rib - generally fatty cuts are better in the sky (although there have been exceptions). Otherwise my choice would probably be the sea bass or almost any of the Asian options
weijola likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by estnet
I sincerely doubt that the whole list for breakfast is available as BTC on one flight! Are you sure?
Its 'Book' the cook... they will only carry what was 'booked', not every item on the BTC naturally...
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:42 am

Talking Has Anyone tried the Thai Massaman Chicken curry?

What are your thoughts on this BTC entree in J...

Is the Chicken minced into pieces or is it one big piece
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:49 pm
THR

Originally Posted by Skytizen
What are your thoughts on this BTC entree in J...

Is the Chicken minced into pieces or is it one big piece
Pretty sure you can only BTC the main dish.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by THR
For some reason Americans use the word entree to refer to the main course not the starter/appetiser.
NetJets Germany and THR like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by THR
yes, I'm staring at this Thai Massaman as a BTC option in J...

Just not sure if they're going to drop a blob of chicken or take the trouble of cutting it into pieces
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by onlySIA
For some reason Americans use the word entree to refer to the main course not the starter/appetiser.
yea, entree is a literal translation of start/beginning/entry...

Actually, in the early 20th century France, when 15 course meals were common, the entree was actually the third course of the 15 course meal...

As the number of courses shrank in the US, the term stayed in the US... one could argue the US uses the expression correctly in the age of the much shortened courses...
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:27 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Gindara Saikyo Yaki (Grilled miso marinated black cod) NRT-SIN, SQ 11 F. Perfect!

Last edited by maxmin; Mar 12, 2024 at 8:40 pm
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:32 pm

Unagi Donburi - wonderful. SIN-LHR SQ 308 F

Excuse the slightly messy tablecloth!

Same flight... Singapore Laksa. Spicy, authentic, VERY filling! There were three prawns, shells on but no heads or legs, for those who care about that.

Last edited by maxmin; Mar 12, 2024 at 8:41 pm
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:51 pm

On both flights, they only had one bottle of Krug. No one else wanted any on SQ11, so I did my duty.
The other champagnes were delicious too, and at altitude it's hard to tell (I did a taste test of all three on SQ 308 and I honestly didn't care which I was served after that).

FWIW, the crew were amazing on SQ 11, not at all automatons as some haters like to report, in fact quite the opposite. Really friendly and enthusiastic, offering different Scotch to try etc.

On the 308 I was served mainly by a single FA. Somehow, I think she really only took a one-hour break for the entire 14 hours. She was very well meaning but a bit intrusive. When my carry-on was a little to chubby to squeeze into the closet, she actually opened the front pocket to remove things without asking me if it would be OK. The male FA reeked of cologne but was also very committed to his job.
Carfield and NetJets Germany like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by frutabell

Has anyone tried this or seen a picture? I love the Singapore Chicken Curry but the healthier aspects of this caught my eye.
Has anyone reviewed this? Is this just a healthy chicken curry?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
My wife is having it on our SIN-HKG flight tomorrow.
frutabell likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by HNLescapee
My wife is having it on our SIN-HKG flight tomorrow.
Please do share her experience. Pictures are not required if it's gauche to take one in the cabin.
kevin111260 and frutabell like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
Please do share her experience. Pictures are not required if it's gauche to take one in the cabin.

Here you go. She says it was very good, but a bit spicy for her taste.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:44 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Speaking of BTC, has anyone noticed the list of dishes has gotten reduced quite a bit. Especially more upscale (in theory) Western dishes have dropped off like Nut Crusted Veal Loin, Rack of Lamb and (for a while already) any other form of a decent Western fish dish that is not the single farmed Barramundi.

Instead they added 10+ hawker dishes which is fine for people that like them, but they're also way cheaper to make ingredients wise. I rather eat those hawker dishes at my favorite hawker and not onboard.

And for the regular inflight menus, why they need to serve grilled chicken thigh in Biz on a longhaul also beats me or maybe that's a "hidden hawker dish" as well aka chicken chop .

I look at my BR trip food pictures with envy now having had black cod, tempura lobster, halibut and the works. My next two SQ longhauls to / from Europe have entirely uninspiring inflight menus and to me usually one okay and two subpar dishes for what I would expect in SQ J. They did well here in the past (talk 8 or more years ago), but over the last few years it's been quite "meh". YMMV.

​​​​
bpk6h and frutabell like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.