Old Jan 14, 22, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
2005 - 2019 discussion can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/493018-book-cook-thread-47.html

Menus can be viewed at https://inflightmenu.singaporeair.com/home
Print Wikipost

Book the cook 2020 onward

Old Jan 4, 20, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
Book the cook 2020 onward

Yeah ... the SFO based options are really a poor representation of the quality catering they provide out of other cities. I had the crab cakes last month (meh - fishy, mushy, lacking seasoning, but the veggies with them were good, and I brought my own dipping sauce since I knew they'd be dry). Went for the dim sum for breakfast, and besides the prawn dumpling, all were pretty meh.

Flying this route again later this month, definitely interested in alternate recommendations! Anyone tried the sweet potato pancakes or poached eggs for breakfast? Or just items from the refreshments menu? Burger, halloumi salad, congee ...
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
Curious what you ended up picking and how it was. I'm on the SFO-SIN route again later this month, looking for inspiration
Old Jan 4, 20, 8:00 pm

Programs: Altitude Elite 50K
Hey folks,

I have an upcoming flight from Singapore to Melbourne in First. Right now I'm the only passenger in F, but of course who knows if that will be the case later.

Anyhow, the inflight menus just posted. The lunch options look good, and there's always book the cook for lunch. However, the "refreshment" options are (in my opinion at least) decidedly meh -- "Cep mushroom quiche with pea and potato mash;" and beef noodle soup. Book the Cook does not appear to be available for the "refreshment" service.

In light of this, I'm curious:
If I leave my meal selection as the generic "inflight menu" would the cabin crew let me order a second item from the inflight menu for the "refreshment" service?

Could I choose something from Book the Cook and then ask the cabin crew if I can pick something from the inflight menu instead and have the BTC meal for the "refreshment?"

If I'm ultimately the only passenger in F and I use book the cook, would SQ even bother catering the full inflight menu or would they just assume that it is unnecessary?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by jewree View Post
Flying this route again later this month, definitely interested in alternate recommendations! Anyone tried the sweet potato pancakes or poached eggs for breakfast? Or just items from the refreshments menu? Burger, halloumi salad, congee ...
The sweet potato pancakes looked pretty delectable, had some fresh blueberries on top of some yogurt (or was it cream cheese). A tad sweet, so I ate barely half as I wasn't into sugar overload for breakfast. An acceptable choice if you want a standard breakfast with little surprises.

Ironically, the most savoury meal that I had was when I woke up in the middle of the night and asked for an instant noodle - they put shrimp, chicken, veg and mushroom on it - tasted good enough for a midnight snack!
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by jewree View Post
Yeah ... the SFO based options are really a poor representation of the quality catering they provide out of other cities... but the veggies with them were good
I agree! The veggies that came with my dish were perfection, nicely cooked yet still al dente and you can taste its inherent flavour that is a reflection of quality ingredient.
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by estnet View Post
Thanks - I may just go over to term 3 and visit the 2 PP lounges (alto I'll check out the Polaris lounge haven't flown ua in ages). I was wondering if they opened 3 or 3 1/2 hours before flight b/c it's NYE and the flight is just before midnight so wanted to get there as early as possible to avoid the early drinkers on the road
Did you actually have time (even if you had checked in 3.5 hours before departure) to hop between Polaris and the 2 PP lounges? Won't that feel that you're constantly in a rush?

Slightly OT (this being is an SQ BTC thread after all) the double fried fries in Polaris lounge was absolutely to die for - crisp on the outside and deep fried with the right "intensity". We ordered double servings!
Old Jan 6, 20, 3:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
For the short red-eye flights (e.g. to Japan, which is a 6hr flight departing roughly midnight), the food service seems to be supper + a light breakfast.

If I BTC a supper meal, I think I've read that I can choose to have the BTC main course saved and served for breakfast instead. Has anyone done something like this before and how does it work? Do you get your starter & dessert served for supper (no main course), or is the entire meal moved to breakfast?

(I'm flying suites SIN-NRT, I don't anticipate being really that able to eat a full supper meal immediately from dinner at TPR ...)
Old Jan 6, 20, 4:12 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
So I ended up not bothering to go to the 2 restaurants on PP since it was a bit of a walk and I wanted to try the Polaris (UA) lounge. Major mistake. The served food was okay. What they DON'T advertise is that the sit down area stops taking orders at 9:30 and closes at 10!! The food was barely okay and the buffet food was downright dangerous. Hot food was kept at lukewarm temps just right for bad bacteria to multiply!

They also would not let me use a blanket outside the shower/quiet room area b/c the a/c was freezing. They said I could stay in the "quiet" dark area - but it was 10 degrees colder there which they didn't seem to understand that I didn't really want to be shivering............
I offered boarding pass/passport in case they were worried about me not returning it - no supervisor was available and service was horrible - I think it is a shame that SQ is paying for this - I'd even prefer the old small SQ lounge

Of course when I got to SIN the Silver Kris lounge had no trouble giving me as many pillows and blankets as I wanted with a smile.

Originally Posted by estnet View Post
Thanks - I may just go over to term 3 and visit the 2 PP lounges (alto I'll check out the Polaris lounge haven't flown ua in ages). I was wondering if they opened 3 or 3 1/2 hours before flight b/c it's NYE and the flight is just before midnight so wanted to get there as early as possible to avoid the early drinkers on the road
Old Jan 6, 20, 11:21 am

Programs: Stanby life since 2007
BTC: SIN-FRA-JFK (Suites)

Private room: Ribs quick bite, chicken pho, dim sum, chicken satay: Chicken pho & satay recommended, ribs & dim sum were ok. Don't skip the private room/ lounge or small bites, the SQ meals onboard are quite small servings!

SIN - FRA (supper) Chargrilled soya beef: It was overcooked, dry and tiny but I still finished (cannot compare to the beef on JAL)

SIN- FRA (supper) Classic lobster thermidor: It was slightly chewy BUT tasted ok, luke-warm.

SIN - FRA (Breakfast): Waffle was slightly soggy but the mascarpone cream/ cranberry was quite good and made the dish.

SIN - FRA (Bfast) Bak chor mee: It was okay, Not amazing but sufficient to have soup on the plane (I am a soup 🍜 person)

FRA- JFK (Brunch) Boston lobster thermidor, Chicken stir-fried noodles, 7oz beef fillet: The lobster on this flight was MUCH better than classic, more creamy and hot. Chicken noodles were fantastic and was not BTC but ordered from in-flight menu. The beef fillet was too char on the outside (hard), the middle was medium cooked.

FRA-JFK (lunch) Prawn wanton noodle soup: wasn't bad as long as you dressed it up with condiments.

FRA- SIN (Lunch) Honey glazed duckling: It was okay, it was better after soy sauce and hot chili peppers.

I've flown in J on SQ twice before and this was my first time in F. BTC, in my opinion, is sufficient and pretty dam cool to order your personal meal. It is not amazing like the earlier years I've flown in J. The classic lobster (SIN-FRA) was ok and not as warm as I liked. The Boston lobster (FRA-JFK) was much better. Honestly, the lobster I had on EVA in J was much much better. Keep in mind the portions were all pretty tiny, it's still an airplane meal. Service and crew always top-notch and BTC (J or F) SQ experience is still unique, fantastic and enjoyable.

Last edited by san88; Jan 6, 20 at 11:38 am
Old Jan 12, 20, 3:27 am
tub

Programs: IHG Ambassador, KrisFlyer
It's been a while, but here's some pictures of the SIN-LHR Book the Cook options when travelling in Suites Class! (Click here)

TLDR: The Kaiseki isn't really worth it and the Lobster Thermidor is too similar to the business class offering!

Also, people seemed to appreciate my other Business Class Book the Cook thread, I'll relink it here ICYMI
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:53 pm

any recommendations for gluten free and egg free and milk free options for kids?
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:29 am

Hi all, I have an upcoming flight on SQ22/SQ21 in Premium Economy on February, and the inflight menu options are as follows:

SQ22 SIN to EWR Supper
- Roasted Chicken Thigh with Lemon Pepper Gravy (with sauteed vegetables and mashed potatoes)
- Wok Fried Pork with Yellow Bean Sauce (with vegetables and plain rice)
- Roasted Cauliflower Steak with Walnut Muhamarrah (with braised lentil, Swiss chard, grapes, garlic and tahini)

SQ22 SIN to EWR Breakfast
- Scrambled Eggs (served with chicken sausage, tomato and potatoes)
- Braised Egg Noodles (with pork, Szechuan vegetable and black mushrooms)
- Golden Waffles with Maple Syrup (served with baked egg and veal sausage)
----------
SQ21 EWR to SIN Lunch
- Barbecued Chicken with Habenero Mango Barbecue Sauce (with sauted vegetablers and paprika-garlic roasted potatoes)
- Fried Prawns in Sweet-Sour Sauce (with vegetables and egg fried rice)
- Rosemary Braised leg of Lamb (with sweet potato-spinach hash, sauteed mushrooms and parsley Marcona gremolata)

SQ21 EWR to SIN Dinner
- Asado Style Grilled Beef (with vegetables, mashed potato and chimichurri sauce)
- Steamed Ginger Marinated Chicken with Shiitake Mushroom (with Chinese vegetables and fried rice)
- Pan Roasted Fillet of Fish with Creamed Lentils (with sauteed potatoes with parsley)

Any recommendations on the options, or should I consider book-the-cook instead?
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL 0 Million Miler (and PM), Amtrak Select Plus, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by orionmiz View Post
Hi all, I have an upcoming flight on SQ22/SQ21 in Premium Economy on February, and the inflight menu options are as follows:

SQ22 SIN to EWR Supper
- Roasted Chicken Thigh with Lemon Pepper Gravy (with sauteed vegetables and mashed potatoes)
- Wok Fried Pork with Yellow Bean Sauce (with vegetables and plain rice)
- Roasted Cauliflower Steak with Walnut Muhamarrah (with braised lentil, Swiss chard, grapes, garlic and tahini)

SQ22 SIN to EWR Breakfast
- Scrambled Eggs (served with chicken sausage, tomato and potatoes)
- Braised Egg Noodles (with pork, Szechuan vegetable and black mushrooms)
- Golden Waffles with Maple Syrup (served with baked egg and veal sausage)
----------
SQ21 EWR to SIN Lunch
- Barbecued Chicken with Habenero Mango Barbecue Sauce (with sauted vegetablers and paprika-garlic roasted potatoes)
- Fried Prawns in Sweet-Sour Sauce (with vegetables and egg fried rice)
- Rosemary Braised leg of Lamb (with sweet potato-spinach hash, sauteed mushrooms and parsley Marcona gremolata)

SQ21 EWR to SIN Dinner
- Asado Style Grilled Beef (with vegetables, mashed potato and chimichurri sauce)
- Steamed Ginger Marinated Chicken with Shiitake Mushroom (with Chinese vegetables and fried rice)
- Pan Roasted Fillet of Fish with Creamed Lentils (with sauteed potatoes with parsley)

Any recommendations on the options, or should I consider book-the-cook instead?
The SQ22 options are very meh so would go BTC if I were you.
As for SQ21 here's a picture of the lamb from last February — I found it really good, lots of flavour and portion was big:

And this is the beef from the second meal — the picture doesn't quite do it justice but it was surprisingly decent for airplane beef and not overcooked / still pink in the middle:

Have not had BTC ex-EWR but PY BTC ex-JFK was pretty disappointing for whatever that's worth
Old Jan 24, 20, 12:33 pm

Recently flew HKG-SIN-FRA-JFK. Heres a few photos of what I ordered from Book the Cook.

HKG-SIN
Panfried lamb rack with mustard rosemary sauce
Spoiler

SIN-FRA
Bavarian style pork belly - this was pretty good, good ratio of meat to fat.
and
Char siew wanton noodle soup

Spoiler

FRA-JFK
Boston lobster thermidor
and
Roast rack of lamb with mint jus

Didn't take any photos of these.
Old Jan 25, 20, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL 0 Million Miler (and PM), Amtrak Select Plus, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
BTC on SQ25 JFK-FRA-SIN in J last week:

JFK-FRA dinner
Roast Rack of Lamb
US rack of lamb with natural jus, roasted vegetables, and creamy garlic mash.

Presentation was great; food tasted fine lamb wasn't overcooked, but not the best. Best part was probably the spicy orange sauce thing that I am guessing was meant for the vegetables

FRA-SIN breakfast
Prawn Wanton Noodles
Prawn wanton noodle soup with chye sim, pickled green chili, roasted onions and spring onions

This was meh (although my taste buds were probably shot after 10 hours in the air), although probably better than the offerings on the regular menu. Prawn wantons didn't really taste like anything, but the green chili was actually spicy and helped salvage some of the flavour.

Search this Thread