Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Transit at Changi questions: different booking possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,

I’ve run into a very strange problem after SQ decided to change my JFK-SIN flight (for JFK-SIN-HKT) into a VTL flight. Problem is I have been fully vaccinated outside of the VTL countries thus no longer eligible to fly even if I’m just transiting.

I tried my best to change my flight. Then another problem arises: my new flight now has 1 day and 11 hours layover in SIN due to Award Biz seat not being available on the next flight to HKT. And the worst thing is that this layover is a “Transit Holding Area” layover - practically prison in Changi.

So my flight now is LAX - SIN (layover 1d11h) - HKT.

The call centre did say only possibility is to downgrade the entire trip LAX-SIN-HKT into a Y ticket. Which I refused. So she booked me for the LAX-SIN-HKT with the massive layover regardless. I then suggested to her given there’s availability in Y for the next SIN-HKT flight which is going to be only 55m layover. So I decided to book this flight separately with the hope of doing the LAX-SIN on the old booking and to switch to SIN-HKT on a new booking.

Question: Is this usually allowed? Me buying a separate ticket and then rectify this at check-in in LAX where I tell them I am going to board this new SIN-HKT flight instead of the one listed on the same booking. Given it’s the same airline, I do not see this as a problem. The call centre suggested this is also okay as long as it’s all rectified at check-in in LAX.

What do you think? I’m not exactly confident about this arrangement yet.

Thank you in advance guys.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:09 pm

are you sure your LAX-SIN isn't VTL as well?

you can book transit hotel now, but you'll be stuck on hotel until next flight. maybe pay for that (instead of a separate flight) to reset body clock?

i guess you'll still be fine (you have an "actual" SIN-HKT flight on single ticket for LAX-SIN-HKT)

try calling back and asking for the shorter connection?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Yes, you need to be on SQ11 (LAX-NRT-SIN) which is a non-VTL flight. The non-stop LAX-SIN SQ37 is a VTL flight. Of course, if you are booking a trip months from now things may change substantially.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:52 pm

I would think SQ should help to open up the award space on HKT in Y or J. (Y should be ok since it is on the 738, unless you are on the A350 during end December)

just call n ask again
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:33 pm

Programs: Alaska
call center can issue mixed class award ticket. Why buy a new SIN-HKT ticket?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
call center can issue mixed class award ticket. Why buy a new SIN-HKT ticket?
because the agent claim no award space

since it is an involuntary rebook, the agent should check with his/her superior and open up the award space. And kinda weird that why He was not rebooked directly to SQ25? The arrival time is 0650 and should be able to connect to the original HKT flight? Unless his flight is in Oct where SQ25 is not operating to JFK?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
because the agent claim no award space

since it is an involuntary rebook, the agent should check with his/her superior and open up the award space. And kinda weird that why He was not rebooked directly to SQ25? The arrival time is 0650 and should be able to connect to the original HKT flight? Unless his flight is in Oct where SQ25 is not operating to JFK?
no business award space. But can be downgraded to Y entirely, so SIN-HKT should have Y space.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:51 am

no business award space. But can be downgraded to Y entirely, so SIN-HKT should have Y space.
so basically it is the agent issue who is not sure about of mixed class awards. Maybe in the past year, very little ppl book mixed class awards.

and if the rebooked LAX flight arrive on the same date as the original SQ23, then there should be award space for SIN-HKT (from the original booking). Basically agent should have just change the booking from JFK to LAX.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: SQ KF, Marriott Bonvoy, GA Miles, QR Privilege
Originally Posted by pandalama
Hi there,

I’ve run into a very strange problem after SQ decided to change my JFK-SIN flight (for JFK-SIN-HKT) into a VTL flight. Problem is I have been fully vaccinated outside of the VTL countries thus no longer eligible to fly even if I’m just transiting.

Pardon my limited knowledge.
Can I get an explanation why the OP can't board the VTL flights just because the vaccination were from outside the VTL countries? I was searching this information and got no luck to find the answer.
My wife and I would probably experience the same, as we are aiming SFO or LAX flights (even we are only transiting at SIN).
Thank you!

Found the answer, the vaccination record must be readable by certain apps.
Apologize for wasting your time

Last edited by aritrixa; Oct 14, 2021 at 1:12 am Reason: Find the answer
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by aritrixa
Pardon my limited knowledge.
Can I get an explanation why the OP can't board the VTL flights just because the vaccination were from outside the VTL countries? I was searching this information and got no luck to find the answer.
My wife and I would probably experience the same, as we are aiming SFO or LAX flights (even we are only transiting at SIN).
Thank you!

Found the answer, the vaccination record must be readable by certain apps.
Apologize for wasting your time

not just vaccination. VTL has higher requirements, e.g. PCR tests 48 hours before departure, which the final destination may or may not require. arrival tests, so probably will be led to arrival tests instead of boarding the next flight.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:35 am

not just vaccination. VTL has higher requirements, e.g. PCR tests 48 hours before departure, which the final destination may or may not require. arrival tests, so probably will be led to arrival tests instead of boarding the next flight.
Note taken, thank you...

By the way, a bit funny as the VTL flight from SFO (SQ33) never appeared in my dummy booking searches. So, we will stick to SQ31
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:08 am

No, this is incorrect. All passengers transiting through Singapore originating from any country other than a Category 1 country must complete a PCR test within 48hrs of the flight. This requirement is not specific to VTL flights. You would not be led to an arrival test as you are permitted to transit in Singapore using a VTL flight as long as you have met the requirements. Lastly, to answer aritrixa's question, the primary reason that the OP cannot travel currently on a VTL flight is that their vaccination is not from one of the currently designated VTL countries (irrespective of whether that country has a digital certificate/record/QR Code).
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:55 am

Thank you, bpk6h!
Make us more confidence arranging the itinerary
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by bpk6h
No, this is incorrect. All passengers transiting through Singapore originating from any country other than a Category 1 country must complete a PCR test within 48hrs of the flight. This requirement is not specific to VTL flights. You would not be led to an arrival test as you are permitted to transit in Singapore using a VTL flight as long as you have met the requirements. Lastly, to answer aritrixa's question, the primary reason that the OP cannot travel currently on a VTL flight is that their vaccination is not from one of the currently designated VTL countries (irrespective of whether that country has a digital certificate/record/QR Code).
so May I know where passengers on VTL flights go if not entering Singapore? Will someone take them straight to the next flights?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:14 pm

so May I know where passengers on VTL flights go if not entering Singapore? Will someone take them straight to the next flights?
VTL flights are available to use with a transfer at Changi.

SQ website confirms transit pax will be free to roam Changi:

If you are from flying into Singapore from a Category 1 country or on a VTL flight there will be little impact to your transit experience. However, some eateries and attractions may be closed during this time. You will generally be free to roam within transit. For passengers transiting onto Category III or IV countries, you are advised to proceed to your boarding gates no earlier than 60 minutes prior to your flight departure. The rest of this section does not apply to you.

Last edited by bpk6h; Oct 14, 2021 at 6:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.