Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK SIN VTL Flight questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
One risk of taking SQ25 JFK-FRA and then the VTL SQ325 after 12 hours in FRA is you will need a PCR test done within 48 hours of the SQ 325 FRA- SIN flight and depending on when you did your PCR test in USA before you take the SQ 25 JFK- FRA flight, you might not catch the 48 hour window for the PCR test before boarding SQ325 in FRA.

To avoid the risk I ended up buying East Coast to LAX connecting to SQ 37 VTL LAX SIN flight for DS in PE to protect and will try to waitlist for miles upgrade but chances are slim.
But may be the load in PE on SQ 37 might be light given the type of plane as discussed in another thread here so he might be OK In PE too
For 25/325, it seems to me the earliest time the swab can be done is around 5pm EST the day before SQ25, taking into account the time difference. Doesn't appear to be a test requirement to enter Germany at this time. It does present a risk in case of irrops - not sure if the scheduled flight departure time or actual will be used.

Flying to LAX or other west coast options is another option - but it does come at a cost of more potential exposure vectors with the domestic legs involved.

For me, another pesky issue is the so called "smart" pass - vax sites I used doesn't support it - we'll have to see how that pans out.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by pWei

For me, another pesky issue is the so called "smart" pass - vax sites I used doesn't support it - we'll have to see how that pans out.
Yes I too just realized the issue with middle name in passport/ ticket versus no middle name in “smart pass”

Hopefully the minions in the Singapore ministries will work out the kinks by the time the Christmas travel begins

In my case DS always uses middle name in bookings and in his SQ KF profile, so he will just have to find a way to add his middle name to the smart pass ( DC issued)

DD usually does not use middle name in bookings/ ticket or her SQ KF profile and I guess her NYC issued smart pas does nothing have middle name too

checking in with no middle name on ticket versus middle name in passport has never been an issue with SQ before, but wonder if with all these VTL rules checkin staff will start insisting on all three to match - booking/ ticket, passport & smart pass !

I wonder if having / not having a middle name in the PCR test email is also an issue??

And while at it, don’t start me going on about the 6 month wait list for pet quarantine at Changi - without this quarantine booking you can’t board the SQ flight with your pet at JFK!!
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:27 am

I hope I am not hijacking this thread. If I am feel free to move this to a new thread.

I am hoping to book 2 JFK-SIN business class awards for January or February 2023. In normal times I would just book the flight 11 months in advance to ensure I get a saver award; however, it looks like the VTL flights from JFK are only available through March 2022. Any idea of how I should handle this situation? Should I just monitor the situation and wait for VTL flights to be added to the system for 2023 or should I book SQ25 when it becomes available (presuming SQ23 is not entered into the system at that time) in hopes VTL is a thing of the past by 2023.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:24 pm

In my case DS always uses middle name in bookings and in his SQ KF profile, so he will just have to find a way to add his middle name to the smart pass ( DC issued)

DD usually does not use middle name in bookings/ ticket or her SQ KF profile and I guess her NYC issued smart pas does nothing have middle name too

checking in with no middle name on ticket versus middle name in passport has never been an issue
I've had the opposite problem, post 9/11, before where the reservation system dropped half of my first name. Thankfully it wasn't an issue checking in at JFK. There's even more scrutiny on names these days.

Let's see what changes are made to accommodate the logistical headaches the narrow requirements are causing.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by setho212
I hope I am not hijacking this thread. If I am feel free to move this to a new thread.

I am hoping to book 2 JFK-SIN business class awards for January or February 2023. In normal times I would just book the flight 11 months in advance to ensure I get a saver award; however, it looks like the VTL flights from JFK are only available through March 2022. Any idea of how I should handle this situation? Should I just monitor the situation and wait for VTL flights to be added to the system for 2023 or should I book SQ25 when it becomes available (presuming SQ23 is not entered into the system at that time) in hopes VTL is a thing of the past by 2023.
I read on a blog somewhere that SQ was reintroducing the EWR-SIN flight in January and for a while would operate non-stops from both JFK and EWR but that the intent was to go back to pre-Covid pattern of JFK-FRA-SIN and EWR-SIN. When that occurs one assumes that the VTL flight would become the non-stop from EWR.

DAK
Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:18 am

Do redemption seats / upgrades usually open up closer to flight date? Flying outbound to SIN Dec 14, inbound JFK Jan 7.

Have so many points to redeem and trying to get this PE -> Business upgrade but nothing is available!
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
One risk of taking SQ25 JFK-FRA and then the VTL SQ325 after 12 hours in FRA is you will need a PCR test done within 48 hours of the SQ 325 FRA- SIN flight and depending on when you did your PCR test in USA before you take the SQ 25 JFK- FRA flight, you might not catch the 48 hour window for the PCR test before boarding SQ325 in FRA.

To avoid the risk I ended up buying East Coast to LAX connecting to SQ 37 VTL LAX SIN flight for DS in PE to protect and will try to waitlist for miles upgrade but chances are slim.
But may be the load in PE on SQ 37 might be light given the type of plane as discussed in another thread here so he might be OK In PE too
I’m not sure this is correct. Singapore’s PCR requirement has generally been 48 hours from the first departing flight if there’s a connection.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by Melodsal
I’m not sure this is correct. Singapore’s PCR requirement has generally been 48 hours from the first departing flight if there’s a connection.
Not true. SQ 25 from JFK-FRA is not a VTL flight - Germany does not require it. So no need for PCR test before boarding SQ 25 at JFK. However SW25 JFK-FRA-SIN is NOT designated as a VTL flight
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Not true. SQ 25 from JFK-FRA is not a VTL flight - Germany does not require it. So no need for PCR test before boarding SQ 25 at JFK. However SW25 JFK-FRA-SIN is NOT designated as a VTL flight
SQ sells SQ25-SQ325 as a single ticket. Thus, the connection in Frankfurt is deemed transit and the PCR requirements would apply at the start of the journey.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpk6h
SQ sells SQ25-SQ325 as a single ticket. Thus, the connection in Frankfurt is deemed transit and the PCR requirements would apply at the start of the journey.

But isn’t the SQ25/SQ325 combo is clearly marked as a non VTL flight. ( or did I get it wrong? ) So if you are using it to enter SIN, may be you will overcome the PCR test before boarding SQ325 in FRA issue, but you will enter SIN as a non VTL pax with all the visa, quarantine etc requirements

come to think of it the SQ 25 SIN-FRA-SIN is marked nom VTL

However I think SQ 25 SIN- FRA does not require PRE boarding PCR test ( why would Pax going to Germany need it? ) so the PRE- boarding PCR will be required at FRA when boarding the SQ 325 FRA- SIN VTL flight the next day

Last edited by SingaporeDon; Oct 26, 2021 at 5:32 am
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:28 am

But isn’t the SQ25/SQ325 combo is clearly marked as a non VTL flight. ( or did I get it wrong? ) So if you are using it to enter SIN, may be you will overcome the PCR test before boarding SQ325 in FRA issue, but you will enter SIN as a non VTL pax with all the visa, quarantine etc requirements

come to think of it the SQ 25 SIN-FRA-SIN is marked nom VTL

However I think SQ 25 SIN- FRA does not require PRE boarding PCR test ( why would Pax going to Germany need it? ) so ibtjikk BKK the PRE- boarding PCR will be required when boarding the SQ 335 FRA- SIN VTL flight the next day
I think you might be misunderstanding how this process works. One can take a connecting flight to a VTL flight. I am doing just that in a couple months with a route of LHR-FRA-SIN (LH/SQ). Obviously the LHR-FRA flight is not a VTL flight but the UK and Germany are both VTL countries (Just as the US and Germany are VTL countries in the SQ25 to SQ325 example) and as long I am connecting to SQ325 I qualify as arriving on a VTL flight.

Lastly, note in this screenprint how SQ sells the SQ25 to SQ325 connection. They are highlighting that VTL rules apply to SQ25 as the passenger is connecting to the SQ325 VTL flight.

Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpk6h
I think you might be misunderstanding how this process works. One can take a connecting flight to a VTL flight. I am doing just that in a couple months with a route of LHR-FRA-SIN (LH/SQ). Obviously the LHR-FRA flight is not a VTL flight but the UK and Germany are both VTL countries (Just as the US and Germany are VTL countries in the SQ25 to SQ325 example) and as long I am connecting to SQ325 I qualify as arriving on a VTL flight.

Lastly, note in this screenprint how SQ sells the SQ25 to SQ325 connection. They are highlighting that VTL rules apply to SQ25 as the passenger is connecting to the SQ325 VTL flight.

so the PCR Test is only needed at JFK for SQ 25 and not at FRA for SQ 325 the next day, right? But there must be pax going from JFK - FRA only on Sq 25. Do they need a PCR at JFK too? My worry is about needing a PCR to board SW 325 in FRA and whether the PCR I took 3 days ago in NYC before boarding SQ 25 will be valid although taken more than 48 hours before SQ 325 leaves FRA

Trust Singapore Inc to come up with the most confusing rules !!

Last edited by SingaporeDon; Oct 26, 2021 at 9:57 am
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:09 pm

You'd likely need a PCR test taken at most 48 hours before SQ325. Thus, after ~5pm the day before you board SQ25, assuming you are doing a same-day transit.

Don't see why a PCR test would be required to board SQ25 to FRA.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by pWei
You'd likely need a PCR test taken at most 48 hours before SQ325. Thus, after ~5pm the day before you board SQ25, assuming you are doing a same-day transit.

Don't see why a PCR test would be required to board SQ25 to FRA.
Because it's a connecting flight and specifically sold as such by SQ. I'm happy to be corrected if the below rules do not apply to a VTL flight...but as the rules stand it's pretty clear that you would have 48hrs in advance of SQ25 to complete a PCR test as the transit in FRA is under 24hrs. And just to be clear, passengers only flying JFK-FRA would not need to furnish a PCR test.

Passengers on direct flights to Singapore​​​

The 48 hours will be counted from the scheduled departure of the flight to Singapore. For example, if the flight is scheduled to depart on 10 September 2021, the Covid-19 PCR test must be taken no earlier than 8 September 2021.​​

Passengers who are taking a connecting flight to Singapore​​​

(i) If the scheduled transit duration is within 24 hours, the 48 hours will be counted from the scheduled day of departure of the passenger’s first point of embarkation in his journey to Singapore. For example, if the passenger’s flight itinerary is Los Angeles-Tokyo-Singapore and his transit duration in Tokyo is within 24 hours, the Covid-19 PCR test must be taken within 48 hours before the scheduled day of departure of his flight from Los Angeles. Or,

(ii) If the scheduled transit duration exceeds 24 hours, the 48 hours will be counted from the scheduled day of departure of the last flight in his journey to Singapore (i.e. the flight to Singapore). For example, if the passenger’s flight itinerary is Los Angeles-Tokyo-Hong Kong-Singapore, and his total scheduled transit duration at Tokyo and Hong Kong adds up to more than 24 hours, the Covid-19 PCR test must be taken within 48 hours before the scheduled day of departure of his flight from Hong Kong.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:46 pm

Probably best to get SQ's take on it then. Wouldn't want any unpleasant surprises when boarding either flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.