Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

TK reduces its meal service. Will SQ do the same?

TK reduces its meal service. Will SQ do the same?

Old May 31, 20, 11:58 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 411
TK reduces its meal service. Will SQ do the same?

An american/german blogger wrote on TK reducing its J meal service to cold meal boxes on flights more than 8 hours.
Will SQ follow suit?
I go for the hard product (especially bed) when flying J/F. But... replacing hot meals to cold meal boxes on long haul is just low.
Whether using covid-19 as an excuse or not as the "new normal" is also low.
Hopefully SQ won't go to this extend as it's "new normal" slogan. Or at least lower service lower ticket price offerings?
craig44485 likes this.

Last edited by terbangalways; May 31, 20 at 11:58 am Reason: typo
terbangalways is offline  
Old May 31, 20, 5:04 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 4,013
Thereís always a way to protect crew and passengers without scrimping on meals. Miserable bottle of water for TK flights below 2 hours yells of cheapness.

SQ will do what its closest regional competitor CX does - which hasnít reduced meals, only the way that they are served.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old May 31, 20, 9:16 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 411
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Thereís always a way to protect crew and passengers without scrimping on meals. Miserable bottle of water for TK flights below 2 hours yells of cheapness.
Exactly!
Interesting how struggling and desperate companies use covid-19 as a reason for everything.
Cheap soft product offering in premium cabin is fine as long as airlines offer cheap prices to reflect on it too.
Pretty much gone are the days for business travel for now.
terbangalways is offline  
Old May 31, 20, 10:59 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Seat 1A
Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Posts: 3,922
I remember reading a trip report where the poster flew LHR-SIN in SQ J during COVID and was given an Economy Class meal.
daniellam is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 12:50 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: BRU, SIN, PEK
Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Posts: 3,220
Originally Posted by daniellam View Post
I remember reading a trip report where the poster flew LHR-SIN in SQ J during COVID and was given an Economy Class meal.
Can you share the link? Interested to read this.
fimo is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 3:55 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by terbangalways View Post
An american/german blogger wrote on TK reducing its J meal service to cold meal boxes on flights more than 8 hours.
Will SQ follow suit?
I go for the hard product (especially bed) when flying J/F. But... replacing hot meals to cold meal boxes on long haul is just low.
Whether using covid-19 as an excuse or not as the "new normal" is also low.
Hopefully SQ won't go to this extend as it's "new normal" slogan. Or at least lower service lower ticket price offerings?
1705 euro well spent .. glad i didn't book it yet.
Mcflyneo is online now  
Old Jun 1, 20, 6:07 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 922
From SQ website, there is still book the cook for flights departing Sin. But the options will be lesser

First class n business class served as 1 tray service with appetizer main course n dessert


sbs2716g is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 8:19 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 8,072
Glad I read this. I had been considering booking a flight for an upcoming trip on TK. That shall no longer be happening.
Mcflyneo and terbangalways like this.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 8:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: DCA/PHL and sometimes HKG
Programs: CX Silver
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by fimo View Post
Can you share the link? Interested to read this.
Here you go:

Travelling during the time of corona ...
MisterTanaka is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 7:24 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,624
Originally Posted by MisterTanaka View Post
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Thereís always a way to protect crew and passengers without scrimping on meals. Miserable bottle of water for TK flights below 2 hours yells of cheapness.

SQ will do what its closest regional competitor CX does - which hasnít reduced meals, only the way that they are served.
That would be me ... and to summarise, it was like eating a BA economy class meal!
SQTraveller is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 8:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Seat 1A
Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Posts: 3,922
Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
That would be me ... and to summarise, it was like eating a BA economy class meal!
I would assume this would be the video version of your trip report?


daniellam is offline  
Old Jun 3, 20, 4:29 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: JAL ANA
Posts: 22
Cool

Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
From SQ website, there is still book the cook for flights departing Sin. But the options will be lesser

First class n business class served as 1 tray service with appetizer main course n dessert


What does "adjusting the alcohol offerings" mean?
VAAGE is offline  
Old Jun 3, 20, 9:44 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 411
Originally Posted by VAAGE View Post
What does "adjusting the alcohol offerings" mean?
Cut cost coincidentally maybe?
No premium champagne etc..
terbangalways is offline  
Old Jun 4, 20, 5:38 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,624
Originally Posted by daniellam View Post
I would assume this would be the video version of your trip report?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MkvmjXPFq4
yes indeed... and what terrible quality it is too ... many apologies

Originally Posted by VAAGE View Post
What does "adjusting the alcohol offerings" mean?
In the case of my London to Singapore flight alcohol wasn't served in any classes - there was a notice to that effect at check in.
SQTraveller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: