SQ values KrisMiles at USD .7 cent

Old Jun 3, 20, 6:05 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy gold. hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX, Citi
Posts: 1,659
SQ values KrisMiles at USD .7 cent

SQ bizarrely offered to exchange my miles for cash towards to a ticket. The literal value of a KrisMile is roughly USD .7 cent. This was their offer, from a reservation supervisor who called me. I have no idea how they came up with the conversion rate but it does show you how SQ truly values its miles. I declined this absurd valuation.
saaveraward is offline  
Old Jun 3, 20, 7:26 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: Alaska
Posts: 1,140
it is right on the website. it is called "cash + points". the value is Singapore dollar 1 cent per mile.
freed0m is offline  
Old Jun 3, 20, 9:16 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Posts: 1,864
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
SQ bizarrely offered to exchange my miles for cash towards to a ticket.
Hardly bizarre, this exchange at sgd0.01/mile has been offered when booking tickets on their website for ages. Value's no good of course, except for perhaps using up orphaned miles that would otherwise expire anyway.
shuigao is offline  
Old Jun 3, 20, 9:33 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy gold. hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX, Citi
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by shuigao View Post
Hardly bizarre, this exchange at sgd0.01/mile has been offered when booking tickets on their website for ages. Value's no good of course, except for perhaps using up orphaned miles that would otherwise expire anyway.
SQ's called you and directed you to convert your miles in to cash at that rate in order to fly with them?
saaveraward is offline  
Old Jun 3, 20, 9:52 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: Alaska
Posts: 1,140
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
SQ's called you and directed you to convert your miles in to cash at that rate in order to fly with them?

Did you push for award? It will happen if you want to fly but no award availability.

It is the same on website. if the award is not there, it will ask you whether you want to book revenue ticket with "cash + points".
freed0m is offline  
Old Jun 3, 20, 10:37 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy gold. hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX, Citi
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
Did you push for award? It will happen if you want to fly but no award availability.

It is the same on website. if the award is not there, it will ask you whether you want to book revenue ticket with "cash + points".
I did push for an award. And made some comments in another thread. Flights canceled due to COVID. They called me and offered to convert my miles at .7 cent AND charge me an extra USD $10,000 no matter what day I pick from now until EOC. This was a "GOODWILL GESTURE" to me, mind you.

So to recap:

original ticket = X miles
new ticket = X miles + USD $10,000

I'm not allowed to post what I think of that offer.
saaveraward is offline  
Old Jun 4, 20, 1:00 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Posts: 1,864
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
I did push for an award. And made some comments in another thread. Flights canceled due to COVID. They called me and offered to convert my miles at .7 cent AND charge me an extra USD $10,000 no matter what day I pick from now until EOC. This was a "GOODWILL GESTURE" to me, mind you.

So to recap:
original ticket = X miles
new ticket = X miles + USD $10,000

I'm not allowed to post what I think of that offer.
Hmm I see what's happening here. You had an award that was cancelled, and are then unable to get SQ to open up saver availability to rebook. This same problem affects basically everyone else too (even for me. My new suites savers were cancelled, SQ refused to open up award space, so I gave up and just booked J instead and will figure out some use for the leftover miles).

I assume SQ is now giving you the option of a revenue ticket booking, which would be USD 20,000 (example) minus the value of your miles using their sgd0.01 conversion --> net payment of USD 10k. It's just an option, you don't have to take it if you don't want to, but in any case it's a bit wishful thinking to expect that SQ will take ~6 months of cancelled saver awards and open up enough award space in 2021 onwards for all of them on a reduced flight schedule.
shuigao is offline  
Old Jun 4, 20, 11:20 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Programs: A3 Gold, KF Classic, Accor Plus Platinum, HHonors Diamond, M&C Loyalty Gold
Posts: 405
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
I did push for an award. And made some comments in another thread. Flights canceled due to COVID. They called me and offered to convert my miles at .7 cent AND charge me an extra USD $10,000 no matter what day I pick from now until EOC. This was a "GOODWILL GESTURE" to me, mind you.

So to recap:

original ticket = X miles
new ticket = X miles + USD $10,000

I'm not allowed to post what I think of that offer.
Sound like something new to you, something known to us maybe?
yauee is offline  
Old Jun 4, 20, 11:47 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy gold. hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX, Citi
Posts: 1,659
Perhaps. And perhaps why I won't fly SQ because of them trying to fleece me. Guess they left everyone out in the cold and don't care.
saaveraward is offline  
Old Jun 5, 20, 1:01 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: Alaska
Posts: 1,140
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
Perhaps. And perhaps why I won't fly SQ because of them trying to fleece me. Guess they left everyone out in the cold and don't care.
SQ will not miss you, I guess.
freed0m is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: