Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Changi Airport to allow transit from 2nd June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changi Airport to allow transit from 2nd June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by s0ssos
But what if you do just buy 2 point-to-point tickets on SQ? You can check in online. Bags can be checked through. What's the issue?
you need Changi to be free for all transit passengers, which is unlikely the case.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
you need Changi to be free for all transit passengers, which is unlikely the case.
Huh? Didn't it say Changi to open for transit June 2? If you cannot transit it isn't open for transit.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Huh? Didn't it say Changi to open for transit June 2? If you cannot transit it isn't open for transit.
it open for transit but need the airlines to submit their plan/ route etc for approval. Not that paxes can transit freely.

If u r on two separate tickets, they won’t allow for check through to final destination right now.

And if you are not singapore residents, you will simply be denied boarding.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:51 am

it is open for transit, not free transit to wherever you like.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
But what if you do just buy 2 point-to-point tickets on SQ? You can check in online. Bags can be checked through. What's the issue?
You will not be allowed to board your originating flight because you do not have permission to enter Singapore.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
it open for transit but need the airlines to submit their plan/ route etc for approval. Not that paxes can transit freely.

If u r on two separate tickets, they won’t allow for check through to final destination right now.

And if you are not singapore residents, you will simply be denied boarding.
it is open for transit, not free transit to wherever you like.
So how is Changi open for transit? There is no transit at Changi currently. So this whole statement was basically, at its best, meaningless, at its worst, a lie. The title says "Changi Airport to allow transit from 2nd June" and it is already past that by quite a few days and there is no transit?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
So how is Changi open for transit? There is no transit at Changi currently. So this whole statement was basically, at its best, meaningless, at its worst, a lie. The title says "Changi Airport to allow transit from 2nd June" and it is already past that by quite a few days and there is no transit?
If you read beyond the headlines you'll find that they never said it was unconditional transit. Currently no airline has a plan in place to meet the transit pax segregation requirements, but the option is there. It wasn't even an option between March 23 and June 2.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
If you read beyond the headlines you'll find that they never said it was unconditional transit. Currently no airline has a plan in place to meet the transit pax segregation requirements, but the option is there. It wasn't even an option between March 23 and June 2.
It's still not an option now. It is silly to say it is an option. Because to a traveller it is wrong and meaningless.
Now HKG is actually allowing transit. SIN is not.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:21 pm

It's still not an option now. It is silly to say it is an option. Because to a traveller it is wrong and meaningless.
Now HKG is actually allowing transit. SIN is not.
You mean you personally transit at HKG?

Which airline has allowed transit at HKG?

Rumor is that Changi will have significant US-China transit soon. Airlines reserve capacity on SIN-China routes for transit passengers.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:57 am

Rumor is that Changi will have significant US-China transit soon. Airlines reserve capacity on SIN-China routes for transit passengers.
It's sort of obvious. That would be Cathay Pacific. You can buy it on their website.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...Hong-Kong.html
Old Jun 8, 2020, 1:28 am

It's sort of obvious. That would be Cathay Pacific. You can buy it on their website.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...Hong-Kong.html

Can you buy 2 point to point and transit in HKG as you asked for free transit?

If I remember it correctly, HKG is open for transit on June 1st and CX was not ready to offer transit fare on June 1st.

if rumor is confirmed, Singapore Airlines and Changi will have more Chinese passengers transit. There is no point for SQ and Changi to fight CX and HKG for the few other transit passengers.

Last edited by freed0m; Jun 8, 2020 at 1:40 am
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:07 am

Can you buy 2 point to point and transit in HKG as you asked for free transit?

If I remember it correctly, HKG is open for transit on June 1st and CX was not ready to offer transit fare on June 1st.

if rumor is confirmed, Singapore Airlines and Changi will have more Chinese passengers transit. There is no point for SQ and Changi to fight CX and HKG for the few other transit passengers.
I asked for any type of transit. For which Changi airport has 0. No airline offers a ticket transiting and you cannot buy 2 separate tickets. So there is no transit.

You have a rumor that Changi will have transit. Which actually doesn't mean anything. CX is already offering transit at HKG. Your point that there is no point for SQ and Changi to compete for transit doesn't actually mean anything. You said Changi offered transit. I don't see it. You said that HKG doesn't offer transit. Which is wrong. CX offers transit there.

For any person whose goal is to fly Changi Airport doesn't actually offer transit. So don't bother planning an itinerary that routes through SIN. It currently doesn't exist.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:13 am

I asked for any type of transit. For which Changi airport has 0. No airline offers a ticket transiting and you cannot buy 2 separate tickets. So there is no transit.

You have a rumor that Changi will have transit. Which actually doesn't mean anything. CX is already offering transit at HKG. Your point that there is no point for SQ and Changi to compete for transit doesn't actually mean anything. You said Changi offered transit. I don't see it. You said that HKG doesn't offer transit. Which is wrong. CX offers transit there.

For any person whose goal is to fly Changi Airport doesn't actually offer transit. So don't bother planning an itinerary that routes through SIN. It currently doesn't exist.
That Changi allows transit and no airlines offer transit at Changi are two different matters.

It is official that Changi is open to transit. It is not rumor.

Rumor is SQ plans to offer transit to China from US.

It is great that CX offers transit at HKG and I would say SQ and Changi can't compete with CX and HKG for transit now. How many in their right mind would choose SQ and Changi over CX and HKG? ANZ is not really open.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:25 am

Dear s0ssos,

Perhaps I can help to shed some light on the situation.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (not Singapore Airlines) announced that Singapore (as a country) would gradually allow travellers to transit through Changi Airport with effect from 2 June, only on the condition that the airlines (Singapore Airlines included) submitted proposals for new special transfer lanes, before specific transit between flights would be allowed. Should these proposals have been submitted and approved, the earliest that transfers could happen for any airline, would have been 2 June, however to date no airlines have had proposals submitted and approved.

Thus in effect, as it is after 2 June, airlines now have "permission" to offer strict transits, but only subject to their proposals being approved first, and not that from 2 June, general free transit would be allowed as per the past.

I hope that I have helped in some way to explain the situation as I understand it )) Please have a good and safe day!
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by maestro1981
Dear s0ssos,

Perhaps I can help to shed some light on the situation.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (not Singapore Airlines) announced that Singapore (as a country) would gradually allow travellers to transit through Changi Airport with effect from 2 June, only on the condition that the airlines (Singapore Airlines included) submitted proposals for new special transfer lanes, before specific transit between flights would be allowed. Should these proposals have been submitted and approved, the earliest that transfers could happen for any airline, would have been 2 June, however to date no airlines have had proposals submitted and approved.

Thus in effect, as it is after 2 June, airlines now have "permission" to offer strict transits, but only subject to their proposals being approved first, and not that from 2 June, general free transit would be allowed as per the past.

I hope that I have helped in some way to explain the situation as I understand it )) Please have a good and safe day!
Thank you. I do understand basically there are extreme conditions attached to this "allowance", and the fact is I cannot get a ticket that transits through Singapore so basically there is no transit.
However, the whole first page of the thread never mentioned anything of that sort. You might well read it and be under the opinion that you can transit through Singapore. Even though you cannot. Because there is no airline allowed to transit through Singapore.

The best analogy I can come up with is Vietnam allowing e-visas to be issued starting July 1. Many people thought that meant Vietnam is going to open up to foreigners again. It actually has nothing to do with that. So, what does it mean? Nothing, as far as I can tell. You can get an e-visa but you cannot enter? Or they will not issue an e-visa? It is basically the same as Singapore saying you can transit starting June 2, except you cannot transit. You might as well say you can transit Singapore if you swim to Singapore. It doesn't actually mean anything.

This announcement is just stupid, I feel. Either be like Taiwan which still bars transit or like Hong Kong which allows transit and actually has transit. I don't see how this is helping anyone. Why not just make an announcement when it actually happens, instead of announcing something which may happen, oh, in the next few months?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.