Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ286-322 'thru flight' logistics at SIN

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:54 am
Original Poster

SQ286-322 'thru flight' logistics at SIN

A New Zealand newspaper is reporting "A Singapore Airlines spokesman said 450 to 460 people were expected to fly out of Auckland at 4.10pm today on a special flight to London with a "gas and go" stopover in Singapore where no one will be allowed off the plane except for about 80 Singaporeans who will stay there." https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12320685

The aircraft is 9V-SKZ and is presently en route to SIN as the normal SQ286. I assume once it lands in SIN it will be turned round to become the normal SQ322. If it is correct that no one is allowed off: (a) that will be a long flight for people on board without even a cabin refresh midway; and (b) this might possibly be the world's first 'thru flight' with a change in flight number en route!
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Essentially the same as the BA SYD-SIN-LHR flights of recent days.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:10 am

I saw somewhere else there was a similar Denpasar-Singapore-London flight yesterday
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer
So... I've been following 9V-SKZ on its mammoth journey from AKL to LHR:
  • SQ286 departed AKL on time at 16:20 NZDT, arriving in SIN 10hr19min later at 21:39 SST, 21 minutes earlier than scheduled.
  • SQ322 departed SIN just under 2 hours later at 23:34 SST, arriving in LHR 13hr13min later at 05:47 BST, 8 minutes earlier than scheduled.
9V-SKZ is of course a refurbed bird so lucky those that were in the new Suites (would they even have passengers travelling in the Suites?).
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by MathNerd
SQ322 departed SIN just under 2 hours later at 23:34 SST, arriving in LHR 13hr13min later at 05:47 BST, 8 minutes earlier than scheduled.9V-SKZ is of course a refurbed bird so lucky those that were in the new Suites (would they even have passengers travelling in the Suites?).
People are paying for the seats, this isn't free - so yes, if someone decides to buy a ticket in Suites. In the days before US closed borders to Europe and there was confusion as to who is exempt, US citizens were paying mad monies just to make sure they could get home.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:29 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by fimo
People are paying for the seats, this isn't free - so yes, if someone decides to buy a ticket in Suites. In the days before US closed borders to Europe and there was confusion as to who is exempt, US citizens were paying mad monies just to make sure they could get home.
You're right - especially on SQ26 (the FRA-JFK component) - I reckon Y would have sold out, then J, and anyone who was really desperate to get home would've forked out a fortune for a single seat (a single seat on SQ26 FRA-JFK in Suites runs at 4,098.11 EUR (approx. 4,500 USD) at the time of checking). Not too bad actually, given that I've heard of stories of stranded Australians forking out upwards of 10,000 AUD for a Y seat to get back home from LHR or LIM!
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
One thing I'm wondering: A lot of flights like this require everyone to get off, clear immigration (I think), and get back on. I seem to recall that this was the case on the EB CX flight through YVR. I'm guessing that Singapore is just sort of nodding everyone through?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
One thing I'm wondering: A lot of flights like this require everyone to get off, clear immigration (I think), and get back on. I seem to recall that this was the case on the EB CX flight through YVR. I'm guessing that Singapore is just sort of nodding everyone through?
These are exceptional arrangements, and SIN is only 'gas & go' for the through travel pax. Only pax ending their journey in SIN are allowed off the plane. Everybody else stays on the plane.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Top of climb
(b) this might possibly be the world's first 'thru flight' with a change in flight number en route!
What, specifically, do you mean by a 'thru flight'?

There were any number of triangular flights in the past where passengers leave and join at one port, while others remain onboard, and the flight number changes.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
What, specifically, do you mean by a 'thru flight'?

There were any number of triangular flights in the past where passengers leave and join at one port, while others remain onboard, and the flight number changes.
Probably the change to the flight number. Most flights with a brief technical stop for fuel/pas usually retained the same flight number eg SQ248 WLG-MEL-SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.