Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

EU to NZ via Sin trip now redundant - likely next steps?

EU to NZ via Sin trip now redundant - likely next steps?

Old Mar 14, 20, 1:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 74
EU to NZ via Sin trip now redundant - likely next steps?

Hi all,

Parents in law due to travel in 2 weeks on OSL-LHR-SIN-AKL with a 3 day stopover in SIN on Singapore Airlines. Return is 3 weeks later, non-flexible tickets. Given the recent news on NZ quarantine this trip is now pretty pointless, before calling wanted to get thoughts on whether the airline view is more likely to be “that’s fine we’ll refund/reschedule” or “we can get you to NZ so not our problem”? Don’t know whether this technically counts as disinclination to travel?

Thanks in advance!

Russ
rlnnpt is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:27 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 833
Are you also aware of this?

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-you...ing-to-norway/
“Travellers from countries outside of the Nordic region should who are not residents of Norway will be returned to their home country as soon as possible. Please seek information about the further procedure at your arrival airport. Travellers with symptoms will be isolated.”

If your parents are travelling to Norway to start their trip they may not be able to collect and recheck their bags as this would involve entering the country.
rlnnpt likes this.
WickedStepMother is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:39 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: BKK
Posts: 244
I also have a trip to NZ planned I'm going to have to scrap - I'm aware of SQ's change fee waiver policy, but given how long this is going to go on I don't foresee being able to change this into another trip somewhere else. Any chances of being able to get a refund?
GuyIncognito is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:40 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother View Post
Are you also aware of this?

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-you...ing-to-norway/
“Travellers from countries outside of the Nordic region should who are not residents of Norway will be returned to their home country as soon as possible. Please seek information about the further procedure at your arrival airport. Travellers with symptoms will be isolated.”

If your parents are travelling to Norway to start their trip they may not be able to collect and recheck their bags as this would involve entering the country.
Hi, thank you very much for this, had not seen it!
rlnnpt is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:56 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 833
I have an ex-EU trip with SQ from ARN to SYD (via DME with a SIN stopover) in April. The only option I can see is to change the travel dates and push them back as far as possible in the hope that the situation will settle down. My ticket is 'business lite' and changeable for a fee but I cannot change it online for some reason. I have emailed customer services with questions but can expect to wait up to 7 business days for an answer, though I might try to call again.

I fear that I will only be able to push back to the 'travel must commence before' date on the the original fare, and regardless of any fee waivers in place the ticket is non-cancellable so I will probably get nothing back unless SQ cancel the flight
WickedStepMother is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 4:02 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 28,616
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother View Post
Are you also aware of this?

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-you...ing-to-norway/
“Travellers from countries outside of the Nordic region should who are not residents of Norway will be returned to their home country as soon as possible. Please seek information about the further procedure at your arrival airport. Travellers with symptoms will be isolated.”

If your parents are travelling to Norway to start their trip they may not be able to collect and recheck their bags as this would involve entering the country.
Actually, it’s worse than this. They will be met at the gate in OSL. If they are not residents, they are turned around and sent back on the airplane that brought them in.
WickedStepMother likes this.
LondonElite is online now  
Old Mar 14, 20, 4:08 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 833
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Actually, it’s worse than this. They will be met at the gate in OSL. If they are not residents, they are turned around and sent back on the airplane that brought them in.
Would they even be allowed to board their flight to OSL in this situation?
WickedStepMother is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 6:06 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 28,616
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother View Post
Would they even be allowed to board their flight to OSL in this situation?
I suspect not
LondonElite is online now  
Old Mar 14, 20, 7:24 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Renfrew
Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother View Post
I have an ex-EU trip with SQ from ARN to SYD (via DME with a SIN stopover) in April. The only option I can see is to change the travel dates and push them back as far as possible in the hope that the situation will settle down. My ticket is 'business lite' and changeable for a fee but I cannot change it online for some reason. I have emailed customer services with questions but can expect to wait up to 7 business days for an answer, though I might try to call again.

I fear that I will only be able to push back to the 'travel must commence before' date on the the original fare, and regardless of any fee waivers in place the ticket is non-cancellable so I will probably get nothing back unless SQ cancel the flight
I'm almost the exact same as you except I'm not due to fly until the end of June.
Really worrying just now as I can't afford to lose all that money I've paid for our flights, hopefully the insurance covers it if we can't go!
Gorcat is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 7:32 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 833
Originally Posted by Gorcat View Post
I'm almost the exact same as you except I'm not due to fly until the end of June.
Really worrying just now as I can't afford to lose all that money I've paid for our flights, hopefully the insurance covers it if we can't go!
The way things stand at the moment I don't see my how insurance will cover it as there are no restrictions in place that would prevent me travelling. (I have the added complication that my annual travel insurance is up for renewal at the end of the month.)
WickedStepMother is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 7:43 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Land of Oz
Posts: 752
Originally Posted by Gorcat View Post
I'm almost the exact same as you except I'm not due to fly until the end of June.
Really worrying just now as I can't afford to lose all that money I've paid for our flights, hopefully the insurance covers it if we can't go!
I would be reading the terms of your insurance.
The travel insurance we bought in October here in Australia for our trip in April now does not cover us for cancellation because a pandemic has been announced. I need to find out if the extra cancellation cover we purchased included the "cancel for any reason" cover then that would help.
Gorcat likes this.
Firemansam is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 8:31 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Renfrew
Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by Firemansam View Post
I would be reading the terms of your insurance.
The travel insurance we bought in October here in Australia for our trip in April now does not cover us for cancellation because a pandemic has been announced. I need to find out if the extra cancellation cover we purchased included the "cancel for any reason" cover then that would help.
I've just checked and epidemic and pandemic are definitely excluded

I'd be flying to Arn from LHR by BA on a separate booking, then if Sweden let us in get the flight next morning to Australia via DME & SIN
Gorcat is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 6:55 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Posts: 322
I'm coming to the end of an ex-EU similar to yours except it's to AKL. My routing was LHR-ARL-LHR (separate BA booking) then ARL-ZRH-SIN-AKL-SIN-ZRH-ARL and we are due to leave AKL on 31st March and was notified yesterday that my ZRH-ARL leg has been cancelled and rebooked for later in the day which sort of bu**ers up my BA booking as that flight will have departed long before my re-booked flight arrives. My ticket is an SQ ticket but the carriers are SK ARL-ZRH and LX ZRH-ARL so it's Swiss that cancelled. An added complication is that it was booked through a travel agent due to the slightly unusual routing so now I have to contact them to try and re-arrange the ZRH-ARL flight as the booked one is now no good to me, thing is I'm having great difficulty in contacting the agent due to the time differences, the airline instructed me to telephone the agent but I can't do that as the agent states on their web page that the hold times will be in excess of 60 mins and I've no land line here in NZ and the mobile call cost will be horrendous as an alternative I've emailed the agents but the auto-response says that it could take up to 2 weeks to respond due the Corvid-19 volume of traffic!!
Lussac is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 10:01 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 695
Originally Posted by Lussac View Post
I'm coming to the end of an ex-EU similar to yours except it's to AKL. My routing was LHR-ARL-LHR (separate BA booking) then ARL-ZRH-SIN-AKL-SIN-ZRH-ARL and we are due to leave AKL on 31st March and was notified yesterday that my ZRH-ARL leg has been cancelled and rebooked for later in the day which sort of bu**ers up my BA booking as that flight will have departed long before my re-booked flight arrives. My ticket is an SQ ticket but the carriers are SK ARL-ZRH and LX ZRH-ARL so it's Swiss that cancelled. An added complication is that it was booked through a travel agent due to the slightly unusual routing so now I have to contact them to try and re-arrange the ZRH-ARL flight as the booked one is now no good to me, thing is I'm having great difficulty in contacting the agent due to the time differences, the airline instructed me to telephone the agent but I can't do that as the agent states on their web page that the hold times will be in excess of 60 mins and I've no land line here in NZ and the mobile call cost will be horrendous as an alternative I've emailed the agents but the auto-response says that it could take up to 2 weeks to respond due the Corvid-19 volume of traffic!!
install skype and load sone credit to it
then use skype with WiFi
jjjohn is offline  
Old Mar 15, 20, 10:12 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 22
If no restrictions are enforced between now and later this week, I'm flying AMS-ARN on the 19th March and then ARN-SIN-CHC on the 20th/21st to land in CHC on the 22nd. My return leg is booked CHC-SIN-CPH on the 22nd April (will cross that bridge when we reach it as it's likely the Danish border will still be closed).

If Sweden closes its borders or Singapore stops entry for me then my contingency is Emirates via DXB to CHC if I can get my insurer (AMEX Platinum) to refund the original booking.

It's a fluid situation but will update if this all goes to plan. The restrictions on transit passengers from Europe to Singapore still allows people who have resided in Netherlands or Sweden in the last 14 days so I'm safe on that front but it does feel like the walls are closing.

Edit: Booked in Business Lite (D) - changed the flight last week from original booking for travel on the 31st March for a change fee of USD250 (agent managed to find the same category (D) for travel on the 20th (but requires booking in advance minimum of 7 days before date of travel).

Additional Edit: Just read on another forum that it looks like ARN-DME is going to be canned from tomorrow onwards - will be speaking to insurer and SQ - if anyone has any advise please share as I would like to get back home to NZ.

Last edited by jmlaser; Mar 15, 20 at 10:37 am Reason: Add points
jmlaser is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: