Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Singapore, advice sought

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:12 am

ICA will allow extension of visitors visa provided you can show proof that you have the means (ie money) to stay here if you are facing problem going back.

If I am not wrong, ICA extend the visitors visa for many China tourist due to the outbreaks in China in Jan/Feb.

can easily apply online via ICA.gov.sg

https://icaeservices.ica.gov.sg/esvclandingpage/extend
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:54 am
edn

In a similar situation. Was also advised to see if I can extend the social visa, but like you, I am already given the maximum 90 days. Anyway 90 days at least gives us some buffer time vs. a shorter 14 day stay.

Most people I’ve talked to seem to think Singapore is one of the safest places to be now. They say why leave, most people are trying to come here.

Normally based in Myanmar and was supposed to go back this week and return to Singapore in April before making a trip to the US.

Cancelled my Myanmar return flight this week due to 14 day stay home notice if I came back again in April. So decided to stay put. Then moved my US trip up to go at the end of this week. That was before the government announcement to close borders for all short term visitors. Now reconsidering the US trip as it might be months before they open up again/difficulties with flights back.

Not planning on going to Myanmar for a while. The government there is making foreigners and locals coming back from certain countries quarantine 14 days in a government hospital.

For my first return flight to Yangon, I just cancelled it. Couldn’t get any credit since it was half flown and a 14 day ticket. I was able to change my other flight to an open ticket valid for a year, and change US trip dates without fee as per SQ’s travel waiver.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:01 am
edn

The ICA website outlines extension eligibility for social visit/medical treatment as per below:

To submit an application online using the e-Service, you will need to fulfil all of the following conditions:
  • You wish to extend your stay for not more than 89 days from the date of entry into Singapore
  • Your Visit Pass has a remaining validity of at least three days, excluding weekends and public holidays
  • You will not return to Singapore within five days from the departure date of your current trip
  • You will require a local sponsor* if you are seeking an extension of stay up to 89 days from the date of entry or if you are a National of the countries below:
So I interpret it as 90 days max stay?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:00 am

Previous useful discussion on this topic starting around here and continuing for a couple pages: Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
We should all meet up.
Heh.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: Krisflyer
I live in Singapore. Malaysians are a separate category, they arent treated like other foreigners . Exceptions are made for them in housing, work passes, immigration etc so I would not be shocked If other foreigners are asked to leave , If things get worse.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that Singapore has told its medical professionals to prioritize Singaporeans over visitors for health care. This was posted elsewhere on FT within the last few days.
Here is the article https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...g-non-resident

Doctors are being told to turn away foreign non resident new patients and to advise current foreign patients to seek medical care in their own countries. If things get worse choices have to be made, the country has to reserve resources for citizens and residents. So many countries are not able to cope with even their own citizens.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Pleb
Originally Posted by Lightraveller
Here is the article https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...g-non-resident

Doctors are being told to turn away foreign non resident new patients and to advise current foreign patients to seek medical care in their own countries. If things get worse choices have to be made, the country has to reserve resources for citizens and residents. So many countries are not able to cope with even their own citizens.
Yes but that argument does not hold for covid, because by refusing treatment you also jeopardise residents and citizens. Contagious diseases aren’t susceptible to picking and choosing who you treat.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
I am not sure there is an option for you to stay. I have been here for more than 20 years and this is the first time I saw:

- Foreigners with work permits and their family are refused re-entry on a wholesale basis
- Indonesian billionaires arrived in Singapore for medical appointments in their private jets are turned back.
- Permanent residents have their status revoked literally on the spot for disobeying quarantine rules.

Every week the government come up with more new rules to make sure no foreigners will come to Singapore to "ride out" the plague. More draconian measures will probably follow in the next few weeks. I am not sure what they will be but its definitely not going to be pleasant for someone without a home here.

By the way, the government has already announced that they would no longer provide free covid-19 related treatment for foreigners who basically have no business being here. Singapore is not Thailand nor Philippines, 10 days of ICU will easily cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Last edited by williamluk; Mar 23, 2020 at 10:15 am
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by williamluk
By the way, the government has already announced that they would no longer provide free covid-19 related treatment for foreigners who basically have no business being here. Singapore is not Thailand nor Philippines, 10 days of ICU will easily cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Some counterpoints to consider (they've already been mentioned in this thread)

- No measures have been announced retrospectively.
- Indeed, most measures have been announced with at least a couple of days' notice. For example, they were aware when announcing the latest restrictions that some travellers would fly in betwixt announcement and enactment.
- This is precisely the kind of thing where they must act fast otherwise there simply won't be the flights to carry it out.
- There are reputational and reciprocity issues to consider in just kicking foreigners out. It's one thing to lay down a line, it's a completely different thing to change goalposts after the fact.
- Fully aware of the costs of healthcare, but where are you getting 'hundreds of thousands of dollars' from?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by xerosum

- No measures have been announced retrospectively.
- Indeed, most measures have been announced with at least a couple of days' notice. For example, they were aware when announcing the latest restrictions that some travellers would fly in betwixt announcement and enactment.
- This is precisely the kind of thing where they must act fast otherwise there simply won't be the flights to carry it out.
- There are reputational and reciprocity issues to consider in just kicking foreigners out. It's one thing to lay down a line, it's a completely different thing to change goalposts after the fact.
- Fully aware of the costs of healthcare, but where are you getting 'hundreds of thousands of dollars' from?
There is really no point to debate all the points with me, I am not the government and I have no idea what they will do, but political pressure will force them to give priority of all things to local first. That's why literally every country is calling their citizens home (with the notable exception of Britain, sorry to say). You asked for opinions and I gave mine, its up to you to decide whether to take it or not. Feel free to ride it out here if you can. Just beware that anything can happen, its a extraordinary time we are in right now

Intensive Care Unit cost upwards of 7-8k a night. My friend suffered a serious illness last year while visiting and end up in ICU for 2 weeks. The bill came to 130k. Go figure.
xerosum likes this.

Last edited by williamluk; Mar 23, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by xerosum

-
Singapore has been ranked the most expensive place to live for a while now. I have had some experience with their medical costs (mount E) and its utterly ridiculous. If you want to stay beyond the 90 then see if the taxi run on Queen St is a viable option, but if it were me I would rather be stuck in a place like Thailand than Singapore.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:04 pm

[QUOTE=xerosum;32222525]Yes but that argument does not hold for covid, because by refusing treatment you also jeopardise residents and citizens. Contagious diseases aren’t susceptible to picking and choosing who you treat

What happens If you need medical treatment for any other reason? Even local patients with non Emergency situations are having some hospital appointments delayed, procedures postponed. IMHO it is only a matter of time before foreign embassies wil have to arrange to evacuate their own nationals. Singapore and Malaysia have been arranging to bring home their own citizens and PRs. The 4% Singapore Airlines places not grounded are likely being used for such purposes. Hotels may also have to turn away guests if it gets worse . If still accepting guests they may have to impose social distancing measures and restrict movement as well as scale down operations.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:40 pm

I am a Singapore Permanent Resident and I agree with williamluk

If you listen to the speeches by the ministers, the emphasis is on Singaporean citizens. It is election year, they will not want to make Singaporean voters angry. If beds are limited, and a bed is occupied by a foreigner instead of a citizen, then that will really anger the citizens. Hopefully it does not get to that point, but it's a rapidly-changing situation. A few weeks ago, Singapore opened its doors and said it would treat anyone with Covid-19 for free, then it said foreigners would have to pay, and now it's -- no foreigners. If you read the news linked by Lightraveller , it sounds like medical professionals that treat foreigners are at risk of losing their license.

xerosum - They may ask you to isolate yourself and recover from your hotel. That's what they did in China when there weren't enough hospital beds. Hopefully you'll be in the 90% that doesn't need hospitalization. So If you decide to stay in Singapore, I think the best thing you can do is to stay healthy so you won't need medical care. A lot of us are working from home, wearing masks, physical distancing, etc.
xerosum likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by williamluk
There is really no point to debate all the points with me, I am not the government and I have no idea what they will do, but political pressure will force them to give priority of all things to local first.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate very much your point of view; there were a couple of things that didn't immediately make sense in your first reply so thank you for clarifying.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happybelly;32224838If you listen to the speeches by the ministers, the emphasis is on [u
Singaporean citizens. It is election year, they will not want to make Singaporean voters angry.
This makes sense, but I suppose that if other countries took the reciprocal measure of banning Singaporeans (already in country before the situation had worsened) from receiving treatment there would be an equal outcry. It might even be a violation of international treaty obligations. China Chinas.

The issue of the plausibility of not providing treatment to those not actually practising medical tourism was also discussed here: Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.