Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ offer fee waivers n flexible rebooking!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ offer fee waivers n flexible rebooking!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
How is the US not on the waiver list yet?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Extra condition re flexible re-booking?

A week ago I contacted customer services by email to enquire about changing the travel dates on an existing Business Lite booking (ARN-SIN-SYD via DME) from April to September. At the time of my enquiry the SQ Travel Waiver Policy did not cover existing bookings, so I expected to pay a change fee.

Of course so much has changed over the last few days, not only the SQ Travel Waiver Policy which now covers our booking, but also the entry restrictions and quarantine/isolation rules for visitors to Singapore and Australia and the UK FCO advisory against unnecessary global travel.

My husband and I decided that cancelling and retaining the value of the tickets under the amended policy would suit us better than moving the dates to September, so that we can think about things further and rebook at a later date for travel up to 31/03/21. But we want to hold off doing anything at all for a week or so in case any of the flights are cancelled by SQ (in which case we might be able to get a full refund)

I got an email earlier today to say that new flights had been held for September and that I would get a phonecall to discuss costs. So I got the call, explained our change of heart and was surprised to be told that we have to decide the new travel dates before the original ticket expiry date (in August 2020). I asked where I could find this condition on the SQ website and was told that customers will be advised on a case by case basis when they request cancellation under the amended policy. (Tbh I did feel I was being pressured by the agent to make a decision about new dates on the spot ).
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yup, that seems to be the modus operandi. I also got email that someone would call me and that I need to use the value by 13 Sep for travel up to 31 Mar 2021.

Now it is silly, but I think this is more of a limitation of the reservation system than SQs own doing. The concept of a travel credit / value doesn't exist quite like some folks may think and that makes it hard for SIA. Ideally, you would either get some voucher code that can be used for the new flight(s) or just enter your old eticket number during new booking and value is applied.

I don't know yet, but suspect that the new ticket you book needs to cost the same or more than the original one, but only time will tell. For our corporate travel, residual ticket value can only be used for flights with same start point where new ticket price is equal or higher the residual value.

If so it'll drive some customers mad, I do feel sorry for the agents having to explain that to inexperienced travelers if it proves true.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: Alaska
I think what happens is that SQ just open dated the tickets. No vouchers are actually created. The tickets are still valid. Kinda like no-show, but without charge to change the ticket. That’s why the passengers have to change date or destination by the original ticket expiry.

change of origin is possible. You need check the original fare conditions to find allowed origins. Of course with fare difference.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Since my post above all the flights in our itinerary have been cancelled, soI am going to ask for a full refund under EC261, but if this doesn’t work I will need clarification about the re-booking rules. The cancellation email, like the waiver policy, makes no mention of a deadline for firming up new dates. Just ‘when you are able’.
...the value of your ticket has been retained. You would be able to rebook your travel at a later date, when you are able to firm up your new travel plans. The new flight itinerary should be completed by 31 March 2021. Please note that a fare difference may apply if there is a change in destination or booking class.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
If they cancel your flights, should that not be eligible for a refund? instead of a voucher.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
If they cancel your flights, should that not be eligible for a refund? instead of a voucher.
you will be eligible for a refund. But like what I mention in another post, all airlines are trying to preserve cash n avoid giving refunds. Instead they would prefer giving travel credit.

So pls do insist on refund if they cancelled your flights. Do it via call or via the online form (under others).
PilgrimsProgress likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.