Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

EU to NZ via Sin trip now redundant - likely next steps?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU to NZ via Sin trip now redundant - likely next steps?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by jmlaser
If no restrictions are enforced between now and later this week, I'm flying AMS-ARN on the 19th March and then ARN-SIN-CHC on the 20th/21st to land in CHC on the 22nd. My return leg is booked CHC-SIN-CPH on the 22nd April (will cross that bridge when we reach it as it's likely the Danish border will still be closed).

If Sweden closes its borders or Singapore stops entry for me then my contingency is Emirates via DXB to CHC if I can get my insurer (AMEX Platinum) to refund the original booking.

It's a fluid situation but will update if this all goes to plan. The restrictions on transit passengers from Europe to Singapore still allows people who have resided in Netherlands or Sweden in the last 14 days so I'm safe on that front but it does feel like the walls are closing.

Edit: Booked in Business Lite (D) - changed the flight last week from original booking for travel on the 31st March for a change fee of USD250 (agent managed to find the same category (D) for travel on the 20th (but requires booking in advance minimum of 7 days before date of travel).

Additional Edit: Just read on another forum that it looks like ARN-DME is going to be canned from tomorrow onwards - will be speaking to insurer and SQ - if anyone has any advise please share as I would like to get back home to NZ.
fly direct from AMS-SIN-CHC? Not sure whether you can get through to SQ.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Just read on another forum that it looks like ARN-DME is going to be canned from tomorrow onwards - will be speaking to insurer and SQ - if anyone has any advise please share as I would like to get back home to NZ.
I can’t add anything except to say I hope it goes well for you - it seems you have done everything you can for the moment to preserve your flight.
I am interested about the potential ARN-DME cancellation - can you share details of the forum where you read it, or PM me please?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
fly direct from AMS-SIN-CHC? Not sure whether you can get through to SQ.
Thanks, will be trying for that when the Netherlands call center start tomorrow, they have been quite easy to get through to last week. Will update this thread on the outcome.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:24 am

For anyone who is still trying to travel:

Current booking (split PNR):
AMS-ARN 19th March on SK (ever after all the cancellations from SAS this flight still looks to be operational)
ARN-DME-SIN-CHC 20th - 22nd March on SQ (reflects as confirmed on my booking)

Got through to SQ but given my travel is not until 20th they can't do much, it looks like currently they have rolling cancellations every 24 hours for the ARN-DME leg and only when that is enacted will a re-routing can take place.

Is there anyone who is booked on today's or tomorrow's flight have an update on what SQ is doing to re-accommodate? Do they put you on another flight to DME?

Update (17/3): Just caught wind that they are cancelling SIN-CHC from 21st March-30th April, so wanted to make sure we didn't get routed via AKL and also wanted to find out about the ARN-SIN situation. Called SQ in Singapore, pinned in my ID code, there was an automated message that read out my flights and after about 45 mins got through to customer service. The person helping (Dominic) was superb. Reissued the flight:
AMS-SIN on the 19th
SIN-CHC on the 20th (last flight out before cancellations kick in).
Times are difficult but the way in which SQ have handled this was excellent - they just wanted to help me. If you are having any challenges - call Singapore (make sure its within 72 hours of travel and you will likely get through to someone - my number is registered to my account so that may be a factor with being connected relatively quickly - less than an hour is acceptable all things considered). Loyalty (KFEG) may have helped me get through quicker.

I realise there may be more changes between now and the 19th but as I am now checked in for these flights my confidence in SQ has been restored. Will happily send my custom their way when we all get back to unrestricted travel, based on how they treated me in this circumstance they have definitely won me over.
sbs2716g likes this.

Last edited by jmlaser; Mar 17, 2020 at 8:44 am Reason: Update
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:51 pm

@jmlaser where did you hear about the restrictions to SIN-CHC?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
@jmlaser where did you hear about the restrictions to SIN-CHC?
there is a post at mainlymiles.com.

https://mainlymiles.com/2020/03/17/s...aland-flights/
jmlaser likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
there is a post at mainlymiles.com.

https://mainlymiles.com/2020/03/17/s...aland-flights/
Thanks - this is a useful resource for me.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold
For anyone who is still trying to travel:

Current booking (split PNR):
AMS-ARN 19th March on SK (ever after all the cancellations from SAS this flight still looks to be operational)
ARN-DME-SIN-CHC 20th - 22nd March on SQ (reflects as confirmed on my booking)

Got through to SQ but given my travel is not until 20th they can't do much, it looks like currently they have rolling cancellations every 24 hours for the ARN-DME leg and only when that is enacted will a re-routing can take place.

Is there anyone who is booked on today's or tomorrow's flight have an update on what SQ is doing to re-accommodate? Do they put you on another flight to DME?

Update (17/3): Just caught wind that they are cancelling SIN-CHC from 21st March-30th April, so wanted to make sure we didn't get routed via AKL and also wanted to find out about the ARN-SIN situation. Called SQ in Singapore, pinned in my ID code, there was an automated message that read out my flights and after about 45 mins got through to customer service. The person helping (Dominic) was superb. Reissued the flight:
AMS-SIN on the 19th
SIN-CHC on the 20th (last flight out before cancellations kick in).
Times are difficult but the way in which SQ have handled this was excellent - they just wanted to help me. If you are having any challenges - call Singapore (make sure its within 72 hours of travel and you will likely get through to someone - my number is registered to my account so that may be a factor with being connected relatively quickly - less than an hour is acceptable all things considered). Loyalty (KFEG) may have helped me get through quicker.

I realise there may be more changes between now and the 19th but as I am now checked in for these flights my confidence in SQ has been restored. Will happily send my custom their way when we all get back to unrestricted travel, based on how they treated me in this circumstance they have definitely won me over.
How did you get on?
Did you get back to CHC?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:32 pm

Hello from Kaikoura NZ,

All good in the end, flew AMS-SIN on the 19th, left the transit area (only passengers exiting the airport at T3) and stayed in the Crowne Plaza at Changi for a few hours to catch up on some sleep. After reclearing immigration, the KF lounge was absolutely disgusting (in the sense that everything was as normal and this was the 20th March) - lines to get in and basically full with no checks in place, still quite a few pax tucking in to the buffet and occasional audible coughs heard throughout the lounge. Considering we had our temperature checked going into the hotel (had to fill out various forms etc) there was really not a care in the world for transit and outgoing passengers in the lounge. I sat down for about 10 mins and then high tailed it out of there with a can of heineken to observe some social distancing a few meters away from some rowdy Japanese passengers consuming a bottle of whisky in the transit area where I felt much safer/healthier.

The flight SIN-CHC was delayed by about 30 mins as there was a suspected case on the incoming flight (I think from Sydney but haven't checked online to verify), they only announced it was for operational reasons but I overheard the staff talking about it at the gate. Only Kiwis or residents flew out but still a decent amount of pax - circa 150-200 or so.

Both flights were basically SOP - great service and very comfortable. Still have the return legs (currently cancelled but booked for 22nd April) so will see what gets proposed.

Kia Kaha everyone.
Gorcat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.