Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ Routing Options from East Coast to Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Routing Options from East Coast to Asia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AS (Alaska) is also an SQ partner. AS flies LAX/SFO-DCA/IAD...
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JuliusPIV
Well, the flights I'm seeing are $4,771.52 per person and candidly I don't have that kind of money. I've been saving points for the past 4-5 years specifically for this trip.

I'm not an expert on this so I've got some knowledge gaps. Although there's some transfer partner overlap between Amex, Chase and Marriott, it's not 100%. My understanding is that I'm not limited to flying on these carriers as I can transfer points to them and book flights on any other carrier within the same alliance. If that's the case, how are flights priced when multiple carriers are involved?
For example:
  • I find the key flights I need on SQ's site that show a cost of 95k KrisFlyer points for each traveler
  • For flights I can't find on SQ's site, I check another Star Alliance member's site (e.g.: United, ANA etc.)
  • I find the flights I need on Star Alliance member's site, like UA, for 90k United miles for each traveler
  • If I call SQ customer service to book, how will they charge for all the flights? Is it 95k + 90k per person? Or do they use some other metric to calculate the cost?
Hm it's actually JFK-KUL for $2,209 per person and JFK-TPE for $2,082 per person. Yesterday JFK-KUL was below $2,100 when I checked.

Anyway, your "deadweight cost of travel" right now is 190k KF miles per person, let's say a conservative 1.25 cpm valuation and $80 taxes, that'd be $2,455

If you took JL JFK-TPE, you'd earn 36,454 AS miles with no tier bonus, which at a 1.45 cpm valuation is worth $528, so "deadweight cost of travel" is $2,082 - $528 = $1,554.

It's quite a substantial difference ($901 of cost avoidance). KF miles really should be used on sweet spots of the KF charts, which are few and far between due to successive devaluations, but of course the decision is yours to make.

In your shoes, I would reposition to Europe either in economy or on a SQ redemption involving IAH-MAN, because it's only slightly longer than repositioning to the West Coast, and then grab a cheap QR J, BA J or LX F/J fare from there.

Last edited by Unionruler; Jan 21, 2020 at 5:28 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JuliusPIV
I was under the impression that because SQ was a member of Star Alliance that, if I saw availability on United.com for X, Y, Z flights, I could call SQ customer service to book those United flights using KrisFlyer points. If that is not the case, I do appreciate the correction here!
It's not always the case that UA = partner.

Originally Posted by Unionruler
It's quite a substantial difference ($901 of cost avoidance). KF miles really should be used on sweet spots of the KF charts, which are few and far between due to successive devaluations, but of course the decision is yours to make.

Well, if you've been accumulating KF miles for umpteen years to make this trip (and you don't necessarily travel enough to use them elsewhere- especially considering it's a family trip), what else are you going to do with them? At this point might as well burn them even if it's not "best and highest use" and use your cash for other things you can't use KF miles on (and those miles would expire worthless eventually anyway).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 21, 2020 at 12:17 pm
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Hm it's actually JFK-KUL for $2,209 per person and JFK-TPE for $2,082 per person. Yesterday JFK-KUL was below $2,100 when I checked.

Anyway, your "deadweight cost of travel" right now is 190k KF miles per person, let's say a conservative 1.25 cpm valuation and $80 taxes, that'd be $2,455

If you took JL JFK-TPE, you'd earn 36,454 AS miles with no tier bonus, which at a 1.45 cpm valuation is worth $528, so "deadweight cost of travel" is $2,082 - $528 = $1,554.

In your shoes, I would reposition to Europe either in economy or on a SQ redemption involving IAH-MAN, because it's only slightly longer than repositioning to the West Coast, and then grab a cheap QR J, BA J or LX F/J fare from there.
Thanks for showing me where your head is at - it's incredibly helpful.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Is there any reason why you're not buying the JFK-KUL JL business fare? This is one of the cases that if the difference between carriers isn't so important to you, it likely makes more sense to spend cash than miles.
My dyslexia kicked in completely misread 'JL' as 'J business fare'; I was looking at SQ business class fare hence the super high price. Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's not always the case that UA = partner.
Understood.

Well, if you've been accumulating KF miles for umpteen years to make this trip (and you don't necessarily travel enough to use them elsewhere- especially considering it's a family trip), what else are you going to do with them? At this point might as well burn them even if it's not "best and highest use" and use your cash for other things you can't use KF miles on (and those miles would expire worthless eventually anyway).
I hear you. I've been accumulating points on CC's with the hopeful intention of redeeming them as smartly as possible. That said however, I've now mostly committed us to SQ because I transferred a sizable amount CC points into KF miles. It wasn't intentional in the sense we had to be on SQ because of some affinity or loyalty to SQ. Candidly although we do like some airlines (LH and NH in particular), we couldn't care less what airline took just as long as it got us to where we needed to go. At this point I think I'm 'stuck' with my LAX-NRT(stop)-SIN(stop)-MLE(stop)-SIN(stop)-LAX in business. I don't mean that in a truly negative way - because it really isn't a bad thing - just that I've unintentionally [and potentially significantly] limited redemption options. The only really sad story here is that "it's not the best and highest use" which can be chalked up to me not fully appreciating the ins and outs of alliances, partners and smart routing.

I really do appreciate the feedback. Thanks again!

Last edited by JuliusPIV; Jan 24, 2020 at 9:49 am
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, you still may want to check Alaska availability transcon... it’s likely to be better than United.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So, you still may want to check Alaska availability transcon... it’s likely to be better than United.
This is a good idea. When I was looking for JFK-SIN, AS would show me JFK-LAX/SFO-SIN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.