Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ Routing Options from East Coast to Asia

Old Jan 19, 20, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi All. I'm no expert - as you're about to see - and after having not taken a trip in over 4 years, I could use your expertise to help me fill in some gaps. The short of it is I'm taking a family of 3 to Asia in business class by dipping into a modest stash of points to hopefully make it happen.

I thought I would try booking through VS to fly on NH but I wasn't seeing any non-wait-listed flights so I abandoned that effort.

At the moment the SQ generated itinerary from SFO to CGK looks like this:
  1. SFO -> HKG - I plan to use the complimentary stopover to visit other places
    1. Separately book the following (which I have not sorted yet): HKG -> ICN -> TPE -> HKG (or HKG -> TPE -> ICN -> HKG)
  2. HKG -> SIN
  3. SIN -> CGK

And the SQ generated return flight from CGK to SFO is the reverse of the above
  1. CGK -> SIN
  2. SIN -> HKG - Plan to purchase a stopover
    1. Separately book the following (which I have not sorted yet): HKG -> NRT/HND -> HKG
  3. HKG -> SFO

At the moment I've got a few questions
  • My biggest pain point right now finding flights out of IAD to hook into this itinerary. Right now it looks like I'll have to book that separately but I'm hoping I've overlooked something that will solve this problem for me. (Note: I checked NYC -> CGK but didn't see any availability for my dates +/- 1 week)
  • Is there anyway to get to Japan without having to book a separate flight?
    • Modify existing return to be: CGK -> NRT/HND -> SFO/IAD?
    • Two one ways and the return one-way would be
      • SIN -> NRT/HND -> SFO/IAD?
      • HKG -> NRT/HND -> SFO/IAD?
    • Something else?
  • Are there any optimizations to the above that I should consider?
  • Is my understanding correct that I can have up to 3 stopovers on a round trip award? 1x complimentary and 2x purchased separately?
Thanks for taking the time to read, I appreciate any guidance you can share and welcome constructive criticism.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:55 pm

Looking forward to see all the replies, as I am planning the same as OP, only one difference, I will do the opposite route
Old Jan 19, 20, 11:33 pm

Programs: Alaska
There is SIN-NRT-LAX which can stopover at NRT by paying US$100.

I don't think you can find availability to connect to IAD with UA. By the time UA releases its award inventory, SQ availability would have been long gone.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Is there any reason why you're not buying the JFK-KUL JL business fare? This is one of the cases that if the difference between carriers isn't so important to you, it likely makes more sense to spend cash than miles.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
There is SIN-NRT-LAX which can stopover at NRT by paying US$100.
Yes, I've seen that as well.
  • On the one hand I like the SFO-HKG-SIN-CGK route because of the easy stopovers in HKG and SIN before reaching my final destination, CGK.
  • However, SIN-NRT-LAX almost hits two birds with one stone by stopping in Japan and getting me to LAX for an easy return flight to IAD on AA.
Would an open-jaw like this be permitted and would it count as a stopover?
  1. Original outbound itinerary: SFO-HKG-SIN-CGK
  2. I fly myself back from CGK to SIN
  3. Return inbound itinerary:SIN-NRT-LAX

I don't think you can find availability to connect to IAD with UA. By the time UA releases its award inventory, SQ availability would have been long gone.
Thank you for that. I won't hold my breath & waste my time.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post
Is there any reason why you're not buying the JFK-KUL JL business fare? This is one of the cases that if the difference between carriers isn't so important to you, it likely makes more sense to spend cash than miles.
Well, the flights I'm seeing are $4,771.52 per person and candidly I don't have that kind of money. I've been saving points for the past 4-5 years specifically for this trip.

I'm not an expert on this so I've got some knowledge gaps. Although there's some transfer partner overlap between Amex, Chase and Marriott, it's not 100%. My understanding is that I'm not limited to flying on these carriers as I can transfer points to them and book flights on any other carrier within the same alliance. If that's the case, how are flights priced when multiple carriers are involved?
For example:
  • I find the key flights I need on SQ's site that show a cost of 95k KrisFlyer points for each traveler
  • For flights I can't find on SQ's site, I check another Star Alliance member's site (e.g.: United, ANA etc.)
  • I find the flights I need on Star Alliance member's site, like UA, for 90k United miles for each traveler
  • If I call SQ customer service to book, how will they charge for all the flights? Is it 95k + 90k per person? Or do they use some other metric to calculate the cost?

Last edited by JuliusPIV; Jan 20, 20 at 12:49 pm
Old Jan 20, 20, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Uh, that’s not how it works, you can only use United miles to book at United prices on United’s site. This isn’t like converting Singapore to US dollars at the bank. The programs are separate.

So, have you actually verified that you can book 3 business class seats on SQ for your intended itinerary on the dates you want?
Old Jan 20, 20, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Uh, thatís not how it works, you can only use United miles to book at United prices on Unitedís site. This isnít like converting Singapore to US dollars at the bank. The programs are separate.

So, have you actually verified that you can book 3 business class seats on SQ for your intended itinerary on the dates you want?
Also: you might consider booking JFK-FRA-SIN(stop)-CGK-SIN(stop)-NRT(stop)-LAX if you are looking at positioning flights or travel. Do your intra-Asia flying during the SIN or NRT stopovers, and you could just take Amtrak up to NYC outbound.
Old Jan 20, 20, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Uh, thatís not how it works, you can only use United miles to book at United prices on Unitedís site. This isnít like converting Singapore to US dollars at the bank. The programs are separate.
I was under the impression that because SQ was a member of Star Alliance that, if I saw availability on United.com for X, Y, Z flights, I could call SQ customer service to book those United flights using KrisFlyer points. If that is not the case, I do appreciate the correction here!

I did check the SQ site and found some non-wait-listed availability on a variety of itineraries for a few dates and destinations along those routes and I did not see anything that suggested booking those flights it would not be possible.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Also: you might consider booking JFK-FRA-SIN(stop)-CGK-SIN(stop)-NRT(stop)-LAX if you are looking at positioning flights or travel. Do your intra-Asia flying during the SIN or NRT stopovers, and you could just take Amtrak up to NYC outbound.
Yes this is a great suggestion! Unfortunately, and admittedly it's only been a handful of days so far, I have not been able to find any saver awards for +/- 1 week of my dates for JFK-FRA-SIN and I suspect because it's the A380 route with the first class suites. Also the cost is 260k+ which exceeds the maximum of 250k/ per person I can afford.
I'm OK with the 777's out of LAX (-NRT-SIN) and SFO (-HKG-SIN); it's just getting from IAD to LAX/SFO on the same booking that's proving challenging.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by JuliusPIV View Post
Yes this is a great suggestion! Unfortunately, and admittedly it's only been a handful of days so far, I have not been able to find any saver awards for +/- 1 week of my dates for JFK-FRA-SIN and I suspect because it's the A380 route with the first class suites. Also the cost is 260k+ which exceeds the maximum of 250k/ per person I can afford.
I'm OK with the 777's out of LAX (-NRT-SIN) and SFO (-HKG-SIN); it's just getting from IAD to LAX/SFO on the same booking that's proving challenging.

I would say you are unlikely to find any IAD-LAX/SFO on UA with Krisflyer. UA and SQ have the worst relationship within Star Alliance and UA does not release many if any awards to partners.

you can do SFO-HKG-SIN-CGK, then CGK-SIN(stop)-NRT(stop)-LAX paying 2 X US$100.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

I would say you are unlikely to find any IAD-LAX/SFO on UA with Krisflyer. UA and SQ have the worst relationship within Star Alliance and UA does not release many if any awards to partners.
This is disappointing but good to know. Is this true for other Star Alliance members? What about Air Canada

Thank you!
- I've not seen a multi-city option when booking a reward but presumably, if I see SFO-HKG-SIN-CGK as an option, and separately SIN-NRT-LAX, it will be a valid route.
- Is the maximum number of stopovers 4? 1x complimentary +3x for $100 ea? Asking as there's an interest in doing SFO-HKG(stop)-SIN-CGK-SIN(stop)-NRT(stop)-LAX.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry for the OT, on a 1 way Saver Biz (if I can find one) can I do a stopover in SIN for a few days or must I book 2 different tkts?

So that it will cost 99K and not 99K and 21.5K
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by craz View Post
sorry for the OT, on a 1 way Saver Biz (if I can find one) can I do a stopover in SIN for a few days or must I book 2 different tkts?

So that it will cost 99K and not 99K and 21.5K

you can do stopover, but have to call to book.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by JuliusPIV View Post
This is disappointing but good to know. Is this true for other Star Alliance members? What about Air Canada

Thank you!
- I've not seen a multi-city option when booking a reward but presumably, if I see SFO-HKG-SIN-CGK as an option, and separately SIN-NRT-LAX, it will be a valid route.
- Is the maximum number of stopovers 4? 1x complimentary +3x for $100 ea? Asking as there's an interest in doing SFO-HKG(stop)-SIN-CGK-SIN(stop)-NRT(stop)-LAX.
as many stopover as the routes have by paying US$100 for each stopover, I believe.

Your biggest challenge is to find 3 seats. most of the time, it is difficult to find one.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: