SQ J lounge in SIN?

Old Sep 11, 19, 5:10 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Posts: 558
SQ J lounge in SIN?

We'll have a long connection in SIN in November, and I've asked elsewhere on FT about where to stay, so that's not the question here.

But when we return to the airport, rather early in the morning, what is our best choice of lounge while we wait?
These days, we prefer to arrive early, especially if there is a comfortable place to stay.

In addition to whatever SQ J "gets us", we have Amex Plat (and Priority Pass through that).

And how early to any recommended lounges open?
It will be a Thursday, and our destination will be AKL, in case that matters.

Thank you.

GC
GeezerCouple is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:14 pm
  #2  
Ambassador: Air New Zealand
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wellington NZ
Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,263
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple View Post
We'll have a long connection in SIN in November, and I've asked elsewhere on FT about where to stay, so that's not the question here.

But when we return to the airport, rather early in the morning, what is our best choice of lounge while we wait?
These days, we prefer to arrive early, especially if there is a comfortable place to stay.

In addition to whatever SQ J "gets us", we have Amex Plat (and Priority Pass through that).

And how early to any recommended lounges open?
It will be a Thursday, and our destination will be AKL, in case that matters.

Thank you.

GC
Assuming you’re on SQ281 departing at 08:45.

You will be departing from Terminal 3. Best lounge will be SQ SilverKris Lounge. It is open 24 hours.
WLG Base is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:10 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,077
The mentioned SKL will probably be your best option. Not sure if it counts as „a comfortable place to stay“. Definitely not the kind of lounge one would go to the airport early for.
chris63 likes this.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:33 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
The mentioned SKL will probably be your best option. Not sure if it counts as „a comfortable place to stay“. Definitely not the kind of lounge one would go to the airport early for.
Pardon, slightly off topic. What is the best Lounge available to Singapore Air J Tix in Changi Airport (long layover).
Chang11 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 3:24 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,077
Originally Posted by Chang11 View Post
Pardon, slightly off topic. What is the best Lounge available to Singapore Air J Tix in Changi Airport (long layover).
Your nearest SKL will be the best option. For a long layover, however, I would go into town or use a hotel at the airport, as the lounges are mediocre at best.
eponymous_coward and chris63 like this.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:54 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
Your nearest SKL will be the best option. For a long layover, however, I would go into town or use a hotel at the airport, as the lounges are mediocre at best.
Thank you worldclubber, so the SKL lounges are better than any other Airline Lounge in Changi.

I've already booked a room in a transit Hotel at the airport. My arrival time is midnight and I depart 9:30 the next morning, so going into Singapore would be a waste of time/money.
Chang11 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:59 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 572
Originally Posted by Chang11 View Post
Thank you worldclubber, so the SKL lounges are better than any other Airline Lounge in Changi.

I've already booked a room in a transit Hotel at the airport. My arrival time is midnight and I depart 9:30 the next morning, so going into Singapore would be a waste of time/money.
If you arrive at midnight - transit hotel might be worthwhile. Although at that time of night the SKL lounge is very quiet so you could grab one of the long couches at the back and get some sleep there. I’ve seen this happen. Showers and toilets are there too.
kaffir76 likes this.
Mlee888 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:48 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,077
Originally Posted by Chang11 View Post
Thank you worldclubber, so the SKL lounges are better than any other Airline Lounge in Changi.

I've already booked a room in a transit Hotel at the airport. My arrival time is midnight and I depart 9:30 the next morning, so going into Singapore would be a waste of time/money.
As a SQ customer, you don‘t have many other or better options at SIN than the SKLs.

For that scenario, a transit hotel is probably best.
RTWFF likes this.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 8:17 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PVG, FRA, SEA, HEL
Programs: UA Premier Gold
Posts: 3,186
I think you can also access the KrisFlyer Gold lounges, as well.

However, one can discuss whether the QF or SKL is better.
warakorn is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:07 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,077
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
I think you can also access the KrisFlyer Gold lounges, as well.
Well, the Gold lounge is worse than the SKL J lounge
worldclubber is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:17 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,900
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
I think you can also access the KrisFlyer Gold lounges, as well.

However, one can discuss whether the QF or SKL is better.
The Gold lounge is worse. It was created so that SQ isn't forced to admit partner elites flying in coach into its own lounges.

T2 and T3 both have SKLs that are divided into business class and FC sections, with the T3 lounge also having TPR for those departing in FC on SQ (and IIRC certain high level SQ elites, but this doesn't matter here).

There are various PP lounges at SIN, but I don't think there's an advantage to doing them over the SQ lounge, although there might be a restaurant or grocery store option (maybe in T1?) if your PP card still covers those arrangements.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:38 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 384
But I think the temporary gold lounge in T3 is ok accordingly to some review
sbs2716g is online now  
Old Sep 18, 19, 10:07 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Posts: 350
According to Luxury Travel and another online reviews in August the SKL lounge in T2 is better and serves Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve Champagne. I visited the SKL T3 lounge in August was underwhelmed, no Champagne too.

Last edited by Chang11; Sep 18, 19 at 10:14 am
Chang11 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 3:44 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SIN, KUL, BKK
Programs: THAI ROP SL, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, SQ KF GO, LCAH GO, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The Gold lounge is worse. It was created so that SQ isn't forced to admit partner elites flying in coach into its own lounges.

T2 and T3 both have SKLs that are divided into business class and FC sections, with the T3 lounge also having TPR for those departing in FC on SQ (and IIRC certain high level SQ elites, but this doesn't matter here).

There are various PP lounges at SIN, but I don't think there's an advantage to doing them over the SQ lounge, although there might be a restaurant or grocery store option (maybe in T1?) if your PP card still covers those arrangements.
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple View Post
We'll have a long connection in SIN in November, and I've asked elsewhere on FT about where to stay, so that's not the question here.
But when we return to the airport, rather early in the morning, what is our best choice of lounge while we wait?
These days, we prefer to arrive early, especially if there is a comfortable place to stay.
In addition to whatever SQ J "gets us", we have Amex Plat (and Priority Pass through that).
And how early to any recommended lounges open?
It will be a Thursday, and our destination will be AKL, in case that matters.
Thank you.
GC
T2 & T3 SKL lounges are open 24 hours, and so is the Plaza Premium lounge @ T1 - I believe that's a PP lounge
If you enjoy breakfast foods in an airport lounge then definitely 3 hours before departure - otherwise sleep an extra hour or two at the hotel
Airline lounge food isn't worth getting up early for ...
So how much do you love your nasi lemak?


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The Gold lounge is worse. It was created so that SQ isn't forced to admit partner elites flying in coach into its own lounges.
T2 and T3 both have SKLs that are divided into business class and FC sections, with the T3 lounge also having TPR for those departing in FC on SQ (and IIRC certain high level SQ elites, but this doesn't matter here).
There are various PP lounges at SIN, but I don't think there's an advantage to doing them over the SQ lounge, although there might be a restaurant or grocery store option (maybe in T1?) if your PP card still covers those arrangements.
No it's not ... not ATM at least
Have you been to the new/temporary SQ Gold lounge @ T3 - Marhaba by DNATA?
It's definitely heads & shoulders above the old one & the current one @ T2

Originally Posted by Chang11 View Post
According to Luxury Travel and another online reviews in August the SKL lounge in T2 is better and serves Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve Champagne.
I visited the SKL T3 lounge in August was underwhelmed, no Champagne too.
Travel blogs?
T3 SKL is better - it's bigger, more hot food options especially the weekly specials of local foods like chicken rendang, gado-gado Asian salad etc.
There always champagne when I've been there, and I've been there a lot the past 5-6 months
The brand of champagne is on rotation & not always catered the same as T2's SKL - they were serving LP the last 2-3 months & it was a good one IMO - better than CH
kaffir76 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 19, 10:55 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
Travel blogs?
T3 SKL is better - it's bigger, more hot food options especially the weekly specials of local foods like chicken rendang, gado-gado Asian salad etc.
There always champagne when I've been there, and I've been there a lot the past 5-6 months
The brand of champagne is on rotation & not always catered the same as T2's SKL - they were serving LP the last 2-3 months & it was a good one IMO - better than CH
Thanks Kaffir76. Was flying Singapore J, maybe I accidently stumbled into the T3 Gold lounge then.
Chang11 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread