Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Being Krisflyer Gold based in LA flying UA/SQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold

Is it worth it?

Currently I am UA Premier Gold and I fly on UA from LAX to the East Coast monthly on Economy, and I fly to Asia 4-5x a year on UA or SQ. I like the perk of being able to book Economy Plus seats with my Gold status and same day flight changes.

I am wondering, because I collect points on AMEX and they don't transfer to UA, should I switch to Krisflyer? Are there disadvantages of being Krisflyer Gold being based in LA? I can access United Club on domestic United flights if I'm Krisflyer Gold right?

Last edited by BeEasyMark; Aug 23, 2019 at 10:10 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:49 pm

Would have to see what benefit you have now and what you want to enjoy. Assuming UA ticket stock on UA flights:

UA Premier Gold gets
UA MM miles
no SDC fee
free E+ seating at time of booking
100% PQM for most economy flights (50% only on basic economy)
8x fare in RDMs
Complimentary upgrades (if you even get it)

SQ gold gets
at least 25% RDM and EQM, depending on fare class.
Lounge access even when flying domestic.

It seems that if it is economy and "cheapest available economy", then Mileage Plus would be better, especially with the E+ and PQM, otherwise, you might not even qualify for Krisflyer Gold. Assuming about 5k miles roundtrip and 12 trips a year, nets you 60k PQM on Mileage Plus, but depending on the fare class, may net you less than 50k miles a year on Krisflyer.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by BeEasyMark
Is it worth it?

Currently I am UA Premier Gold and I fly on UA from LAX to the East Coast monthly on Economy, and I fly to Asia 4-5x a year on UA or SQ. I like the perk of being able to book Economy Plus seats with my Gold status and same day flight changes.

I am wondering, because I collect points on AMEX and they don't transfer to UA, should I switch to Krisflyer? Are there disadvantages of being Krisflyer Gold being based in LA? I can access United Club on domestic United flights if I'm Krisflyer Gold right?
It really depends on what booking classes you normally get booked into-- if you haven't looked already, here is the KF accrual chart for easy reference:

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...FOALLevels.pdf

I don't think KF Gold is easy to maintain. A3 is slightly more lenient in terms of UA economy booking classes-- Q accrues 75% on SQ/ 100% on A3, K/G accrue 25% on SQ/ 50% on A3 (but for some reason W accrues 75% on SQ/ 50% on A3), basic economy still earns 50% RDMs on A3 but nada on SQ. The A3 thresholds are lower (other than from the isolated case where you start from scratch and don't fly any A3 segments, but subsequently renewal will still be lower). Also the A3 award chart has lower rates and more sweet spots than the KF one.

For context, I'm based in SIN. My credit cards give me KF miles, and I had KF Gold for a year from work, but even so I've decided to cross over to A3.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
UA's program is generally better than SQ.

Notwithstanding the miles you can earn, KF Gold will only get you whatever published. You won't get anything more than that. Also, switching to KF means you will lose E+ at check-in, CPU (even slim chance), SDC in exchange for the lounge benefit for your domestic flights, which can practically resolved by paying $400 to Chase (Club Card). I believe E+ along is $600+
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
UA's program is generally better than SQ.

Notwithstanding the miles you can earn, KF Gold will only get you whatever published. You won't get anything more than that. Also, switching to KF means you will lose E+ at check-in, CPU (even slim chance), SDC in exchange for the lounge benefit for your domestic flights, which can practically resolved by paying $400 to Chase (Club Card). I believe E+ along is $600+
Not sure about the first comment, to be honest.

Let's not forget that if OP earns enough miles through flying and cc spend, he can use the miles to upgrade or redeem outright in J or F on SQ if he so chooses. Using UA miles he would not have access to the same inventory at all. I don't know if it is important at all to OP, but it is another factor to consider. On the other hand, if OP plans to redeem his miles on UA or other *A partners, then sticking to UA may be the better option. Where I do agree with garykung is that domestic lounge access may be bought by various means if OP sticks with UA. I'm not familiar with US-based cards, but some may even give it for free as a perk, depending on the card.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fone
Would have to see what benefit you have now and what you want to enjoy. Assuming UA ticket stock on UA flights:

UA Premier Gold gets
UA MM miles
no SDC fee
free E+ seating at time of booking
100% PQM for most economy flights (50% only on basic economy)
8x fare in RDMs
Complimentary upgrades (if you even get it)

SQ gold gets
at least 25% RDM and EQM, depending on fare class.
Lounge access even when flying domestic.

It seems that if it is economy and "cheapest available economy", then Mileage Plus would be better, especially with the E+ and PQM, otherwise, you might not even qualify for Krisflyer Gold. Assuming about 5k miles roundtrip and 12 trips a year, nets you 60k PQM on Mileage Plus, but depending on the fare class, may net you less than 50k miles a year on Krisflyer.
Thanks for all the replies.

I think the main reason I want to be Krisflyer Gold is to consolidate my AMEX MR and airline miles into one system. Redemption is the main priority. Right now, I am earning AMEX MR points that can only be transferred to Krisflyer or ANA, while my flying on UA earns UA miles. In terms of earning Krisflyer Gold, I'm due for 2 more trips LAX-SIN by the end of the year. 3 trips LAX-SIN on Premium Economy gets me to Gold.

The main benefit on UA Premier Gold to me is EconomyPlus and SDC. I don't think the 100% PQM matters to me if I'm Krisflyer Gold, and I've only been upgraded maybe once or twice on United. There are too many 1Ks on the West Coast.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:08 am

Thanks for all the replies.

I think the main reason I want to be Krisflyer Gold is to consolidate my AMEX MR and airline miles into one system. Redemption is the main priority. Right now, I am earning AMEX MR points that can only be transferred to Krisflyer or ANA, while my flying on UA earns UA miles. In terms of earning Krisflyer Gold, I'm due for 2 more trips LAX-SIN by the end of the year. 3 trips LAX-SIN on Premium Economy gets me to Gold.

The main benefit on UA Premier Gold to me is EconomyPlus and SDC. I don't think the 100% PQM matters to me if I'm Krisflyer Gold, and I've only been upgraded maybe once or twice on United. There are too many 1Ks on the West Coast.
I mean, I can understand this in most cases, but putting all your eggs into one basket with KF poses two major disadvantages. KF has had 2 devaluations in 2 years because they're happy with the profits minting miles to sell to CC companies/ US banks, no telling when the next one will be but I wouldn't be surprised if it's 1 year from now. The *A redemption rates are already quite poor compared to other *A FFPs so quite sore about it. Secondly KF has 3 year hard expiry of RDMs. I'd urge you to study the accrual/ redemption charts very closely before you commit to a decision to all in with KF.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I think the main reason I want to be Krisflyer Gold is to consolidate my AMEX MR and airline miles into one system. Redemption is the main priority. Right now, I am earning AMEX MR points that can only be transferred to Krisflyer or ANA, while my flying on UA earns UA miles. In terms of earning Krisflyer Gold, I'm due for 2 more trips LAX-SIN by the end of the year.
Have you considered the indirect route from Amex MR to United MP via a hotel programme such as Marriott Bonvoy?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by garykung
Also, switching to KF means you will lose E+ at check-in, CPU (even slim chance), SDC in exchange for the lounge benefit for your domestic flights, which can practically resolved by paying $400 to Chase (Club Card). I believe E+ along is $600+
Although it's not a published benefit non-UA *Gs do still get free SDCs on the app (and probably over the phone and in person with an agent as well, though have not personally tried those methods yet)
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I disagree. Its only better if

- You need economy plus
- You need to check bags
- You want to participate in Upgrade lottery, which lets agree if a joke

If you buy domestic first outright like me, its pretty worthless. Even with instruments its worthless.
SDC is possible, even if you are not elite on UA.

Last edited by OpenSky; Aug 27, 2019 at 2:24 pm
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:17 pm

OP should be clearing 120k PQM a year (lax-ewr RT is 5k, lax-sin RT is 15k. 12*5k + 4*15k)

*If OP flies SQ lowest fare, it earns 0 PQM. If OP flies basic, 50% PQM

​​​​​​Probably OP is based in USA and is subject to PQD, otherwise this would get OP 1K status on UA

Even so, this will take OP 8-10years to earn 1MM lifetime UA gold. Is it worth it? Probably, especially because UA miles don't expire as long as there's activity, but u don't earn as many miles

KF miles expire after 3 years, (can pay to extend another 6-12 months, but nothing after that)

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 27, 2019 at 3:30 pm
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IMO the only reason to earn KF miles is to redeem on SQ. Correspondingly, the goal of consolidating all points in one program only makes sense if there is a clear goal, e.g., "I'm saving for two RT Suites awards on SQ."
kevinoh likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
IMO the only reason to earn KF miles is to redeem on SQ. Correspondingly, the goal of consolidating all points in one program only makes sense if there is a clear goal, e.g., "I'm saving for two RT Suites awards on SQ."
For sure, the main reason for accumulating KF miles is that I fly to Southeast Asia or Tokyo from LAX. I'd like to be redeem some of those flights on J.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:18 pm

For sure, the main reason for accumulating KF miles is that I fly to Southeast Asia or Tokyo from LAX. I'd like to be redeem some of those flights on J.
The J redemption rates to Southeast Asia one-way are 62.5K with OZ, 68k with NH, 75k with A3, 75-90k with UA MP, 77.5k with Aeroplan and 95/97.5k with SQ KF...unless you really have to have SQ metal (BR is better TPAC these days), choosing KF would be doing your best to pick the losing horse.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Update:

Hit Krisflyer Gold in 2 LAX-SIN trips and 3 LAX-BOS trips in 3 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.