FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Being Krisflyer Gold based in LA flying UA/SQ
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:55 am
BeEasyMark

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by fone
Would have to see what benefit you have now and what you want to enjoy. Assuming UA ticket stock on UA flights:

UA Premier Gold gets
UA MM miles
no SDC fee
free E+ seating at time of booking
100% PQM for most economy flights (50% only on basic economy)
8x fare in RDMs
Complimentary upgrades (if you even get it)

SQ gold gets
at least 25% RDM and EQM, depending on fare class.
Lounge access even when flying domestic.

It seems that if it is economy and "cheapest available economy", then Mileage Plus would be better, especially with the E+ and PQM, otherwise, you might not even qualify for Krisflyer Gold. Assuming about 5k miles roundtrip and 12 trips a year, nets you 60k PQM on Mileage Plus, but depending on the fare class, may net you less than 50k miles a year on Krisflyer.
Thanks for all the replies.

I think the main reason I want to be Krisflyer Gold is to consolidate my AMEX MR and airline miles into one system. Redemption is the main priority. Right now, I am earning AMEX MR points that can only be transferred to Krisflyer or ANA, while my flying on UA earns UA miles. In terms of earning Krisflyer Gold, I'm due for 2 more trips LAX-SIN by the end of the year. 3 trips LAX-SIN on Premium Economy gets me to Gold.

The main benefit on UA Premier Gold to me is EconomyPlus and SDC. I don't think the 100% PQM matters to me if I'm Krisflyer Gold, and I've only been upgraded maybe once or twice on United. There are too many 1Ks on the West Coast.