Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Advice on what happens when I miss a connecting flight by going out landside

Advice on what happens when I miss a connecting flight by going out landside

Old Jun 3, 19, 2:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 207
Advice on what happens when I miss a connecting flight by going out landside

This is part of my *A RTW trip redeemed with SQ KF miles.

There was some rescheduling by partner airline (UA). Hence 1 of my journey SCL - SYD changed from SCL - PTY - LAX - SYD to SCL - PTY - LAX - SFO - SYD.

It was meant to be international flights throughout and I can check my baggage in SCL all the way to SYD, but now I have a LAX-SFO (UA283) domestic connection added, which means my bags at SCL can only tagged to LAX. At LAX I land at TBIT, clear immigration, collect baggage, drop off baggage, walk to T7, clear security, clear immigration in order to board my flight to SFO. I have to do all these within 2hr10mins. Some people in other forums said it's possible, just that it will be rushed.

Currently there is no way to resolve/rebook because SQ said there's no saver award availability on alternate flights -1 +1 day. Called UA, they said it's none of their business.

So my question is, IF by all means I tried my very best to do what was required in LAX, BUT I still missed the boarding time for UA283, is it straightforward for UA to put me on the next flight to SFO, and subsequently SYD?

Or they can't do anything because I have to contact SQ to find me a solution since it's ticketed by SQ?

Sorry because I don't really know how ticketed airlines and partner airlines work with each other when there's missed airside to landside to airside connection. I'm just worried that I will be stranded in LAX (airside or landside) and UA saying 'contact SQ'. SQ will say 'sorry our system shows no saver award seat availability since it's an award booking'.
behyx is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 4:43 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SIN
Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Posts: 329
Originally Posted by behyx View Post
It was meant to be international flights throughout and I can check my baggage in SCL all the way to SYD, but now I have a LAX-SFO (UA283) domestic connection added, which means my bags at SCL can only tagged to LAX. At LAX I land at TBIT, clear immigration, collect baggage, drop off baggage, walk to T7, clear security, clear immigration in order to board my flight to SFO. I have to do all these within 2hr10mins. Some people in other forums said it's possible, just that it will be rushed.
I might be wrong, but I recall that the USA does not have airside international transfer facilities. So you would still need to clear immigration etc at TBIT regardless if you are connecting to SYD or SFO. Happy to be corrected on this.
RTWFF, lokijuh and TWA884 like this.
tango3 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 4:54 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 2,475
United would reroute you to Sydney if you misconnect

2h10 isn't unreasonable, I wouldn't get too worked up over this
ajeleonard is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:52 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 207
Originally Posted by tango3 View Post
I might be wrong, but I recall that the USA does not have airside international transfer facilities. So you would still need to clear immigration etc at TBIT regardless if you are connecting to SYD or SFO. Happy to be corrected on this.
Thanks! Yup I have to do landside international transfer.

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
United would reroute you to Sydney if you misconnect

2h10 isn't unreasonable, I wouldn't get too worked up over this
Thanks! Got it. Assuring to know United will still find ways to reroute me to Sydney. This is despite it being an award redemption correct?
behyx is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 6:08 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 2,475
Yep, IRROPs are the responsibility of the operating carrier, regardless of how you obtained your ticket
ajeleonard is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 6:42 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,831
Yes, UA will reroute you. But, at the last minute, it may not be in the nicest seats or on a direct route. SQ can request that UA open award space, but it is a manual process, may take a few days, and is not guaranteed, I would request that, especially if you are not a US National travelling on a US passport.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 7:20 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
Actually if you misconnect at LAX, CM, not UA would be obligated to reroute you. That said, I would direct my efforts to UA, as CM customer service in IRROPS is absolutely awful. I would point out that the real underlying cause of the miss was UA's schedule change, which left inadequate time to connect.

This would possibly include putting you on another carrier same day (QF, VA, DL, or AA), or rerouting the following day via LAX or SFO. UA's default is likely to be a next day routing on UA metal. You are likely to get the best results using an agent in the Polaris lounge (your departing BP will get you in). Insist on a J reroute, and don't let them tell you they can only rebook you in open award space - they can either open space on their own metal, or endorse your ticket over to another carrier.

This is no time to be shy about what you are entitled to.
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
2h10 isn't unreasonable, I wouldn't get too worked up over this
OP has been posting about this in the UA forum, and the connection is indeed problematic. Any meaningful delay at inbound immigration, and it's a potential miss. There's also a risk of misconnect at SFO.
Often1, eponymous_coward and behyx like this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 4:48 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Posts: 935
Another thing to keep in mind - UA often release award seats close in - so keep checking award space on LAX-SYD - you may be able to avoid routing via SFO and more easily make the ex-LAX flight - if seats open up, would KF need to make the change and re-issue the ticket (I just thought they might not do this once travel has commenced - i.e. even first leg flown).
pschafer is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 6:04 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,038
Originally Posted by pschafer View Post
Another thing to keep in mind - UA often release award seats close in - so keep checking award space on LAX-SYD - you may be able to avoid routing via SFO ).
I think the reason for the change was lack of flight, not lack of availability, as OP was originally on LAX-SYD but that has been reduced in the northern summer timetable to 3x weekly.

The other option would be to reroute LAX-MEL and open jaw, but then the OP would have to purchase a MEL-SYD flight separately (either with cash or Krisflyer Miles on VA).

Also, not sure what time the flight arrives but according to customs and immigration website, processing times mid -late afternoon seem to be better than early evening, FWIW.
lokijuh is online now  
Old Jun 3, 19, 8:47 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 207
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Actually if you misconnect at LAX, CM, not UA would be obligated to reroute you. That said, I would direct my efforts to UA, as CM customer service in IRROPS is absolutely awful. I would point out that the real underlying cause of the miss was UA's schedule change, which left inadequate time to connect.

This would possibly include putting you on another carrier same day (QF, VA, DL, or AA), or rerouting the following day via LAX or SFO. UA's default is likely to be a next day routing on UA metal. You are likely to get the best results using an agent in the Polaris lounge (your departing BP will get you in). Insist on a J reroute, and don't let them tell you they can only rebook you in open award space - they can either open space on their own metal, or endorse your ticket over to another carrier.

This is no time to be shy about what you are entitled to.

OP has been posting about this in the UA forum, and the connection is indeed problematic. Any meaningful delay at inbound immigration, and it's a potential miss. There's also a risk of misconnect at SFO.
Thanks Kacee!

Actually, I found out that this journey seems to be on 1 ticket. When I logged in to United using my SQ booking reference, I can see that it looks like this :

Flight to Sydney
SCL-PTY
4h46m connection
PTY-LAX
2h10m connection
LAX-SFO
1h50m connection
SFO-SYD

And yes I agree that because my 1st flight SCL-PTY is with CM, they should handle any reroute. But I will definitely be looking for UA to say "hey it's your fault!".

I'm not sure how backend of IRROPS or airline booking system works, but can I say that if I have boarded the 1st sector for this journey to Sydney, there is no difference between a revenue and award ticketed pax? And any missed connection mid-way will be quite straightforward for the airline to put me on the next available flight without having to check award space, please correct me if i'm wrong.
behyx is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 7:18 am
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
Originally Posted by behyx View Post
I'm not sure how backend of IRROPS or airline booking system works, but can I say that if I have boarded the 1st sector for this journey to Sydney, there is no difference between a revenue and award ticketed pax? And any missed connection mid-way will be quite straightforward for the airline to put me on the next available flight without having to check award space, please correct me if i'm wrong.
In theory. In practice, it's not uncommon for customer service (any airline) to be less accommodating in rebooking award travel. There are certainly plenty of reports of pax being told they can only be rebooked into open award space.
behyx likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 7:23 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,472
and OP should note their options and delays

most (LAX/SFO/DFW/YVR) NorthAmerica-Australia flights leave at 10pm. if you miss the window, you're waiting for the next night.

UA doesn't partner with anyone unfortunately, don't know if they'll put you on any of the LAX-SYD flights at 10:30pm (DL/VS/AA/QF). this should be your last resort if delayed at LAX, trying to get UA to put you on another carrier for LAX-SYD

CM SCL-PTY is usually on time (90%+), though max delay of 64 minutes
CM PTY-LAX is 75% on time, avg 15min delay max delay of 62 minutes <- this might be problematic
behyx likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 4, 19 at 7:32 pm
paperwastage is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 7:58 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,038
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
UA doesn't partner with anyone unfortunately, don't know if they'll put you on any of the LAX-SYD flights at 10:30pm (DL/VS/AA/QF). this should be your last resort if delayed at LAX, trying to get UA to put you on another carrier for LAX-SYD
They might be more inclined (if seats available) to put someone on their own service, LAX-MEL and then on either VA or QF to SYD. Maybe something for OP to consider requesting if things donít go as planned with connection and UA doesnít want to put them on one of the other carriers non stop from LAX.
behyx likes this.

Last edited by lokijuh; Jun 4, 19 at 8:51 pm
lokijuh is online now  
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:59 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 881
Can you see if you can be put onto CMís PTY-SFO flight instead?

Unsure on what day or time you are travelling at, but it might work out better (and cuts out 1 connection) - actually I see you are on UA283, so the timing works out perfectly if they can put you on CM208 PTY-SFO instead. Your connection in PTY should be pretty painless, deplane SCL flight and walk to gate for LAX/SFO flight. Bags should transfer automatically

2* flights to SFO per day by CM. One arrives at just after midnight. The other just after 3pm

*This is summer schedule, it will drop to 1.5 flights per day after the summer
pmarrsouth is offline  
Old Jun 9, 19, 10:02 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 207
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
Can you see if you can be put onto CMís PTY-SFO flight instead?

Unsure on what day or time you are travelling at, but it might work out better (and cuts out 1 connection) - actually I see you are on UA283, so the timing works out perfectly if they can put you on CM208 PTY-SFO instead. Your connection in PTY should be pretty painless, deplane SCL flight and walk to gate for LAX/SFO flight. Bags should transfer automatically

2* flights to SFO per day by CM. One arrives at just after midnight. The other just after 3pm

*This is summer schedule, it will drop to 1.5 flights per day after the summer
Thanks! Unfortunately SQ said no availability on PTY-SFO
behyx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread