FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on what happens when I miss a connecting flight by going out landside
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:47 pm
behyx

Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually if you misconnect at LAX, CM, not UA would be obligated to reroute you. That said, I would direct my efforts to UA, as CM customer service in IRROPS is absolutely awful. I would point out that the real underlying cause of the miss was UA's schedule change, which left inadequate time to connect.

This would possibly include putting you on another carrier same day (QF, VA, DL, or AA), or rerouting the following day via LAX or SFO. UA's default is likely to be a next day routing on UA metal. You are likely to get the best results using an agent in the Polaris lounge (your departing BP will get you in). Insist on a J reroute, and don't let them tell you they can only rebook you in open award space - they can either open space on their own metal, or endorse your ticket over to another carrier.

This is no time to be shy about what you are entitled to.

OP has been posting about this in the UA forum, and the connection is indeed problematic. Any meaningful delay at inbound immigration, and it's a potential miss. There's also a risk of misconnect at SFO.
Thanks Kacee!

Actually, I found out that this journey seems to be on 1 ticket. When I logged in to United using my SQ booking reference, I can see that it looks like this :

Flight to Sydney
SCL-PTY
4h46m connection
PTY-LAX
2h10m connection
LAX-SFO
1h50m connection
SFO-SYD

And yes I agree that because my 1st flight SCL-PTY is with CM, they should handle any reroute. But I will definitely be looking for UA to say "hey it's your fault!".

I'm not sure how backend of IRROPS or airline booking system works, but can I say that if I have boarded the 1st sector for this journey to Sydney, there is no difference between a revenue and award ticketed pax? And any missed connection mid-way will be quite straightforward for the airline to put me on the next available flight without having to check award space, please correct me if i'm wrong.