Search

HKG lounge refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Yup, it's open now.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bpk6h
Yup, it's open now.
Is the bathroom / shower open?
Old May 19, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Kacee
For much of this year, neither SQ nor UA lounges have even had functioning restrooms. I consider that an embarrassment.

I've been to all three of these lounges, UC and SQ many, many times (TG I visited once and never found any reason to return). And yes, they fall far below the competition, i.e., the CX lounges at HKIA. They are also inferior to the *A options at BKK and NRT, to name two comparable Asian airports. I also find them inferior to LH Bus or Sen lounges in major airports where LH has a lounge.
Completely agree *A lounges at HKG are very poor, after the demise of UAGF, it’s even prompted LH to pay for Plaza Premium First Class lounge at HKG for F pax & HON

Amazing SQ closed the lounge after so much of it had been out of action for ages & so soon after it was re opened.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Is the bathroom / shower open?
Yes, for now
Kacee likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

I've been to all three of these lounges, UC and SQ many, many times (TG I visited once and never found any reason to return). And yes, they fall far below the competition, i.e., the CX lounges at HKIA.
The “competition” is hubbed in HKG. This is sort of like complaining that BA doesn’t have a first class terminal in FRA. But OK. I’ve been to all three as well and clearly we think differently.

Personally, I don’t think NH’s, BR’s or TG’s J lounges in their respective hubs are all that, if not an “embarrassment”- they just tick various lounge boxes satisfactorily, if that (TG’s J lounge is kind of mediocre J warehousing, but not “embarrassing”, just kind of “OK” and huge). The TG Spa is nice and is the distinctive thing out of all those lounges (or maybe BR’s lounge having lounge decor out of Tron, which is... uh, unique).

Oh yeah, LH J lounges at FRA (haven’t been to SEN ones)? Not a fan, crowded. But they ticked the boxes without being “embarrassing”.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 20, 2019 at 8:36 am
Old May 20, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The “competition” is hubbed in HKG. This is sort of like complaining that BA doesn’t have a first class terminal in FRA.
I don't agree at all. Have you been to CX "outstation" lounges in BKK, TPE, or SFO? They are all superior to the *A options at HKG. Similar story with EK "outstation" lounges at various airports around the world (including HKIA).

There's a lengthy thread on the LH forum about how sucky the *A options are at HKG. HKG lounge recommendation. So you are, as usual, on your own here.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I don't agree at all.
That seems pretty clear to me.

Have you been to CX "outstation" lounges in BKK, TPE, or SFO?
Two of the three (BKK and SFO).

They are all superior to the *A options at HKG.
If you say so. CX puts more work into theming their lounges in general than most airlines (for example, SQ at TPE is kind of "meh" for decor, but they do have decent food). And CX has showers at SFO, so OK, sure, better lounge. Though I find the location of that lounge a pain (though not an "embarrassment")- I actually used the BA lounge waiting for my last CX flight out of SFO- not as nice in the decor (BA is an airline that generally has less nice lounges IME) but a lot more convenient for waiting for my flight.

Similar story with EK "outstation" lounges at various airports around the world (including HKIA).
Another case of an airline putting more work into theming (though I think their decor's stuck in the 1980's). But they do tick all the boxes.

I've been in that PP lounge LH is using- LX used it for a while for their F passengers, SQ has used it too. I wasn't exactly amazed.

I find the *A lounges at HKG "OKish" (as someone in that thread put it). Much like the LH J lounges at FRA or TG J lounges at BKK. I would probably say that business class lounges in your hub that you offer to customers paying thousands of dollars for a ticket being "OKish" might meet the standards of "embarrassing" (more so than in an outstation), but LH and TG both have lounge service models that sort of lead to that mediocre, not terrible but not noteworthy experience; LH J lounges are third on the totem pole and TG has really inconsistent service levels.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 20, 2019 at 12:34 pm
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:34 pm

The toilets remain closed, years later (!), and for some weeks porcelain, glasses and cutlery have all been plastic apparently as there is no water for dishwashing.
In its current state, the lounge is an embarrassment to SQ.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
The toilets remain closed, years later (!), and for some weeks porcelain, glasses and cutlery have all been plastic apparently as there is no water for dishwashing.
When did you visit? When I was there 2 months ago in August 2019, the bathrooms were open, and so were the showers. The bathroom/shower facilities looked newly renovated. A temporary service issue, perhaps?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: KF EG
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
the last time i heard, they need to knock down the wall and floors to repair the pipes or something but upper management refused to close down the lounge to repair it.
did they finally manage to repair it without closing the lounge?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by sqyf
When did you visit? When I was there 2 months ago in August 2019, the bathrooms were open, and so were the showers. The bathroom/shower facilities looked newly renovated. A temporary service issue, perhaps?
I was there on October 7 and the restrooms and showers were closed. You have to exit to the terminal and use the public restrooms.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:41 pm

I've been there several times over the past couple of months and the toilets and showers have been closed every time.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:49 am

restroom and shower still closed as of last week. any one knows the reason why?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Lounge was so ghetto that I opted to use the United Club and the Centurion lounge. The Singapore lounge in Hong Kong is an embarrassment and should be shuttered until it can be refurbished.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Im flying out of HK ON SQ F presume there is no reason to go to airport early?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.