Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Unaccompany Minor Service between SQ and Lufthansa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Hallo,

I have been reseaching on Unaccompany Minor Service from Singapore Airlines. We live in Berlin and obviously SQ doesn't fly to Berlin, therefore we need a connecting flight with Lufthansa between Munich/Frankfurt/Dusseldorf to Berlin. In June 2019, my kids (age 15 and 10 years) and I will be flying back to Jakarta for a summer holiday. So it would be Berlin Tegel (TXL) - Munich (MUC) - Singapore (SIN) - Jakarta (CGK) round trip. After several calls and exchange email, I booked tickets for all of us.

I will be return in September while the kids need to return back to Berlin on August 2nd from Jakarta (CGK) - Singapore (SIN) - Munich (MUC) - Berlin (TXL). Therefore, I would need to book for Unaccompany Service for the kids. I called Singapore Airlines couple times before booking and asked them since I have connecting with Lufthansa then what should I do? I was told that I should purchase an adult ticket for UM service and contact them to pay the service and arranging UM service with Lufthansa as well.

So few days ago, I booked tickets online with altered age for my 10 years old as what they suggested to me and today, May 6th I called them to book for UM service. They said that first I should fill in the forms and email the forms to them. I called Lufthansa few minutes later and told them that I want to book UM service and after being hold for 13 minutes the staff told me that they couldn't offer me the service. I was shock. So I called Singapore Airlines again and told their Reservation staff what Lufthansa staff told me and to my horror they said that is not possible. They have been booking UM service everyday and never experience this problem. I should contact Lufthansa again and SQ could even issue a letter that said that Lufthansa should help me with arranging the UM service.

So I called second time Lufthansa and insisted to book UM service and again they told me (after they spoke with their supervisor) that they could't offer this service for my children because for security purposes they need a name as a contact person at Departure point. They can't just put any name. This time I was very shock.

Again I called third time back to SQ to sort this out and I need an answer because I have paid an adult ticket for my 10 years old as what they told me to do in order to book UM service. I explained to them what Lufthansa staff told me. I explained to them that even in their UM form that I must write the contact name at Departure point and also the name at the Arrival point. I am ending up at loss now and I decided to go with SQ because of their great reputation but now I am super upset because they can't give me an answer. Lufthansa points fingers to SQ. While SQ isn't very helpful either. The SQ Reservation agent asked her supervisor and told me that SQ can only assist my children and take them until the lufthansa gate in Munchen and that's it. They will be on their own. They told me that they will assist the children throughout Immigration in Munchen. But to be honest, I am not very sure now.

I felt misleading because before I booked the children tickets I made few calls to SQ Reservation and sent them email as well regarding their UM service. When I called today even one of their staff mentioned that they have booked UM service connecting with Lufthansa everyday and never have problem. Well, I do have this problem now. I feel frustrated whole day because of spending lots of time on calls without getting any help and I am very concern that if SQ just abandon my children after they arrive in Munich and they would be lost and confused.

Anyone has experience with this? UM service between different airlines?
Old May 7, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
How responsible is your 15 yo? How comfortable do you feel with them being dropped at LH departure gate by SQ and children being on their own on the flight to TXL, noting the following?

Children aged between 5 and 11 may only fly unaccompanied if they are using our special service or if they are travelling with someone who is at least 12 years old. However, children aged from 12 up to a maximum of 17 years old, who are travelling alone, can also be looked after at the request of their parents

I imagine SQ do have a duty of care to get them to the departure gate of their next flight, and won't dump them, otherwise who else will they hand the children off to once they pass through immigration?

Or would LH allow you to put SQ person as the contact at MUC (trouble is I guess this won't be known until children arrive at MUC)?
Old May 7, 2019, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
How responsible is your 15 yo? How comfortable do you feel with them being dropped at LH departure gate by SQ and children being on their own on the flight to TXL, noting the following?

He has been flying internationally since he was little, both of them actually since we have been living in many countries. But this would be their very first time flying solo and eventho I trust that both of them are quite responsible and would have each other back, but I guess I won't know how it goes until it happens. I really really don't mind and would be grateful if SQ indeed take them to LH departure gate by SQ, however, my concern is that if SQ will indeed do as what they told me. Because in SQ UM service form, they have a declaration which I have to tick as follow :
Should the minor be connecting or transferring to another non-SIA operated flight, I confirm that appropriate arrangements have been made at the point of connection/transfer. I agree that SIA's responsibility and special handling duty towards the Unaccompanied Minor ends at the point of disembarkation of the SIA-operated flight. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if the minor is subsequently found to be unattended to, I authorize the SIA to take whatever action they consider necessary to ensure the minor's safe custody including return of the minor to the airport of original departure. I agree to indemnify and reimburse SIA for the costs and expenses incurred by them in taking such action.

Obviously by taking them to LH gate and leave them there
, they would clearly be unattended which is contrary to what they asked me to declare. There is no guarantee as well that they will take the kids go through Immigration and to the LH gate since SQ final destination is Munich. My frustration is because of the responds I receive from SQ keeps changing and unreliable. At one point I told them that perhaps my husband could fly from Berlin Tegel to Munich and meet the kids at LH gate and the SQ reservation staff said "or they could take a train back to Berlin". I told the lady, "you do aware that their tickets until Berlin Tegel, so why do they need to take train???" ....

I imagine SQ do have a duty of care to get them to the departure gate of their next flight, and won't dump them, otherwise who else will they hand the children off to once they pass through immigration?

Or would LH allow you to put SQ person as the contact at MUC (trouble is I guess this won't be known until children arrive at MUC)?
LH said that they can't just put any random name as a contact person in MUC because none knows who will be assisting (SQ ground staff) my children on that day.

Last night I have emailed SQ customer service and forwarded them the kids UM forms and told them that I will need a written confirmation from them that they will assist my children until LH gate, otherwise we would want them to change my 10 years old ticket from adult ticket to a child ticket fare and reimburse me the difference. I feel that their UM service is very misleading and I have done my part by buying an adult ticket for a 10 years old in order to get UM service and if they can't done their part, I would want them to reimburse me the difference for the child ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.