Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Can you change origin on a business lite ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold

I have CMB-SIN-EWR booked in business lite (D) in November. I would like to change this to BKK-SIN-EWR, which also has business lite (D) available. I called to change and am getting quoted $2700 to make this change. When I asked why it was so high they simply said the ticket needs to be reissued. This happened with two different agents. I figured the ticket would need to be reissued and that I'd be on the hook for the fare difference and the change fee but they are saying they can only reissue the ticket as business flexi (J). The business lite fare difference between the new itinerary and what I've already paid is about $400. Can someone tell me if this is correct or not and if it is the change in origin that triggers this hefty price? I very well may be SOL but wanted to check with the experts. What I find kind of silly is that buying a brand new ticket for the route I want would cost $2250.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
OP, correct me if I’m wrong, but the D ticket you bought does not allow you to cancel you ticket, or rather it does, but you would not get refunded anything, right?

If that is indeed the case, I can see why SQ would not allow you to simply change the origin to another country without changing it to a J fare ticket. The D fare ticket is priced comparatively inexpensively because it offers little to no flexibility. If SQ allowed you to change your outport, which does indeed require a reissue, then in their system that would be akin to cancelling the first ticket (Which is not allowed for the fare class you bought) and selling you a new ticket from the new origin.

Do you have the fare rules for your original ticket available to share with us?
Old May 6, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
A D fare sold with POS (point of sale) in Sri Lanka can price out very differently and have different fare conditions attached to it than one from Thailand.

2.7k SGD difference seems very steep though.

Last edited by demue; May 6, 2019 at 8:34 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by demue
A D fare sold with POS (point of sale) in Sri Lanka can price out very differently and have different fare conditions attached to it than one from Thailand.
Got it I think. The cheapest fare showing on expertflyer from BKK-EWR with point of sale = CMB is a "J" fare of about $5980 return or $3441 one way, no D class fares available from Sri Lanka for journeys originating at BKK. The D class fares CMB-EWR start from $1930 oneway or $2760 return. The $2700 extra wouldn't make sense for a one way fare, but certainly would for return.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:35 pm

Most likely SQ is saying that in order to change, u must up fare to J class first. So it all add up.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks for the replies. This is making more sense now though it’s not great for me. Cancellation was not not allowed on my ticket. I guess I never equated reissuing with a corresponding cancellation. Since it said changes were ok with a fee I thought it may be ok. It seems my cheapest course of action may be to take a cheap flight BKK-CMB that allows me to connect to the SQ flights I have purchased. Not ideal but way more cost effective.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Seems the best course of actionfrom a cost point of view to position yourself to CMB.

Changes to routings are usually only permitted on very expensive fully flex fares. A common misconception that "changes" means any type of changes. It does not.
trooper likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by demue
Seems the best course of actionfrom a cost point of view to position yourself to CMB.

Changes to routings are usually only permitted on very expensive fully flex fares. A common misconception that "changes" means any type of changes. It does not.
I suspect, looking at fare rules for the D class from Sri Lanka, then changing destination may not result in a significant difference, so changing from EWR to LAX for example, might only result in change fee + a bit extra. As you indicated earlier, changing country of origin will almost always result in tears though, as still need to issue ticket from original departure country (point of sale).

Other places, with reasonable business class fares, with point of sale = CMB, include CCU, BLR (cheapest) and then RGN & SGN. Might be worth checking these, particularly latter two, as they are obviously closer to BKK than CMB from a positioning viewpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.