Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Confused: how many Krisflyer miles for JFK-FRA-AMS in business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, LH, AF, SQ, HAL

I am really confused. I've never flown on Singapore before, but for odd reasons I have a bunch of Krisflyer miles. I'm trying to book an "Advantage" award from JFK-FRA-AMS in business class. There's space on SQ JFK-FRA, and space on LH FRA-AMS. The very sweet lady on the phone told me tonight that it would be 85k Krisflyer miles for the SQ flight, and and another 30,500 miles for the LH flight from FRA-AMS. Is that right? I assumed that JFK-FRA-AMS would only be 85k miles. Perhaps I made a naive assumption that the Krisflyer program worked like United's Mileage plus program?

Sorry to be a pain, I've only been at this 3 years and I'm still such a newbie . . .thanks for any help you can offer.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:14 pm

If I am not wrong , star alliance awards is only based on saver availability. If saver space is available, then u will pay the saver rate for the entire journey.
lokijuh likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:25 am

advantage requires the full miles for each segment. saver would be the one with less miles
Are you able to find JFK-AMS and use FRA as a stopover? Maybe that would be considered one booking instead of your current 2 segments. Are these flights both on SQ? I suspect your FRA-AMS is on another airline since SQ flies to AMS directly from SIN.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by funkydory
advantage requires the full miles for each segment. saver would be the one with less miles
Are you able to find JFK-AMS and use FRA as a stopover? Maybe that would be considered one booking instead of your current 2 segments. Are these flights both on SQ? I suspect your FRA-AMS is on another airline since SQ flies to AMS directly from SIN.
As stated by sbs2716g, the issue it tickets as 2 segments is that the star alliance award chart do not have advantage award. So one cannot book advantage and saver together. It will only ticket as one, if there is saver availability for JFK - FRA, then OP can book as star alliance saver award for JFK - FRA - AMS. Please note that for star alliance one way award, if you have a stopover (ie in FRA), the pricing would also be by per segment.

For OP, a star alliance business saver award for JFK to AMS (via FRA, but not a stopover), should require 72k miles. So OP can waitlist for the JFK - FRA in business saver, and hope that when it clears, the FRA - AMS on LH is still available. Alternatively, OP has to look for (business or first) saver availability for both segments to ticket immediately.

You can have a mixed class booking, but not mixing saver and advantage. Currently, your advantage + saver option works out to 115.5k miles. A star alliance first class saver award is 107.5k miles, cheaper than what you are looking at now, but you'd need saver availability for first/suites for SQ25, then you might book the business class on LH for the FRA - AMS (if first class is unavailable).

Last edited by fone; Apr 27, 2019 at 7:44 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, LH, AF, SQ, HAL
@fone, that's exactly what I needed to know. I was trying to do an advantage award on SQ with a saver award on LH, and the total mile cost is sort of crazy. So I'll have to think of another way to get from JFK to AMS . . . thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.