Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The SQ 787 - shockingly bad J-class seat :( !!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SQ 787 - shockingly bad J-class seat :( !!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by maestro1981
Is it just me, or does that photo look like the 777 long-haul seat (and not the 787 seat)??
Originally Posted by Troopers
Just flew the 787 (fortunately that our 787 was not grounded). That photo is NOT the 787. But the OP’s point remains...you do have to lean forward quite a bit to talk to your partner.
Woops, you're right, my mistake -- mixed up my albums & photos. That was the 777 seat
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
787 seat config (along with new A350 seat config) are my favourite SQ ones. The ones I can't stand are the 'at an angle' J seats (e.g. 777) that twist my back when I recline if I were to have any legroom at all.

I always try to pick the 787 flights on SQ where possible, although I don't actually like the 787 itself. I wish all the A350s had the 'regional' non-twist seat config.
Totally agree, was on the new A359 with the regional J seats and I enjoyed that flight better than the one where I was on the 77W with the long haul J seat or the A359 that goes to Europe. I do not like the lounging position of the long-haul configurations as you have to sit in a twisted manner and it is a strain on the back for a day flight. On a flight where you spend most of the time sleeping (red eyes) then it is of no issue. Thus I would actively seek out the 787 or the A359 with regional configurations for day time flights. But a question here is how do I differentiate between regional or long haul configurations for the A359?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
I flew SQ's 787-10 in J from Singapore to Perth and back in December 2018, and found the new regional J seats to be superb. I found the seats good enough for long haul. I am of average Asian build, so perhaps that was a factor. For reference, I did a trip report here (Links to external SQTalk site).
kaffir76 and jinrop like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sqyf
I flew SQ's 787-10 in J from Singapore to Perth and back in December 2018, and found the new regional J seats to be superb. I found the seats good enough for long haul. I am of average Asian build, so perhaps that was a factor. For reference, I did a trip report here (Links to external SQTalk site).
fantastic TR, thanks for this, really informative and thorough.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by jinrop
fantastic TR, thanks for this, really informative and thorough.
Thanks, jinrop, glad you enjoyed reading it! I think it's always useful to include facts and photos so that the reader can decide for himself/herself whether a product is "shockingly bad" or, conversely, really quite excellent.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up

I flew SQ's 787-10 in J from Singapore to Perth and back in December 2018, and found the new regional J seats to be superb.
I found the seats good enough for long haul. I am of average Asian build, so perhaps that was a factor.
For reference, I did a trip report here (Links to external SQTalk site).
LOL - so you are saying it's not "shockingly bad"?

I've got a couple of MNL flights coming up thru' Oct. in J (& once in Y in Nov. but I've already tried the back of the bus) so it'll be interesting to find out for myself.
p/s I love your TR's esp. the current one - thanks for taking the time & effort to write, I know it's very time consuming!
I'm sure some local travel blogs would love to get you on as a guest writer or contributor
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
Don’t bring CX into the discussion as the stage length for their regional flights with regional J class product differs greatly from SQ’s deployment.
I had to Google this -
Stage-Length. The average distance flown, measure in statute miles, per aircraft departure. The measure is calculated by dividing total aircraft miles flown by the number of total aircraft departures performed.

How is it different? A regional light is based on the distance flown or the flight time though the definition of "regional" may differ - but safe to say that intra-Asia & any flights over 2 hours but under 6-8 is considered regional - or at least to me it is.
So how is it different at CX vs SQ as they both fly within the region - SE Asia & N. Asia etc. as well as to Europe & USA?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:35 pm

Thanks, jinrop, glad you enjoyed reading it! I think it's always useful to include facts and photos so that the reader can decide for himself/herself whether a product is "shockingly bad" or, conversely, really quite excellent.
Nah, here on SQ FT it is all "shockingly bad" ..
You should check out the A350 "shockingly bad" thread ... LOL
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76
LOL - so you are saying it's not "shockingly bad"?

I've got a couple of MNL flights coming up thru' Oct. in J (& once in Y in Nov. but I've already tried the back of the bus) so it'll be interesting to find out for myself.
p/s I love your TR's esp. the current one - thanks for taking the time & effort to write, I know it's very time consuming!
I'm sure some local travel blogs would love to get you on as a guest writer or contributor
Thanks for your kind comments, kaffir76! Appreciated!

Something to note for your upcoming MNL flights: SIA has had some issues with the engines on their 787-10's recently, and some of them are now grounded. This has meant that a number of 787-10 services have been subbed with other equipment types.

I flew SQ to Manila last week, and was disappointed when both flights were subbed from 787-10's to 777's with the old Y and J cabin products (2-2-2 Regional J). The catering was good and cabin crew were still wonderful (Outbound Y, inbound J) but still, it's never fun when the newest cabin products are swapped out for older products. Hopefully these issues are resolved by the time you fly.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I had to Google this -
Stage-Length. The average distance flown, measure in statute miles, per aircraft departure. The measure is calculated by dividing total aircraft miles flown by the number of total aircraft departures performed.

How is it different? A regional light is based on the distance flown or the flight time though the definition of "regional" may differ - but safe to say that intra-Asia & any flights over 2 hours but under 6-8 is considered regional - or at least to me it is.
So how is it different at CX vs SQ as they both fly within the region - SE Asia & N. Asia etc. as well as to Europe & USA?
Compare CX flying A330s with longhaul configured HKG-Australia flights vs. SQ flying regional configured SIN-Australia (HKG-PER is similar stage length to SIN-SYD). Conversely, SQ flies regionally-configured A359s on SIN-BLR (lie-flat), and CX flies regionally configured planes with recliner J HKG-SIN, and the stage lengths aren't grossly dissimilar.

It all boils down to that SQ is willing to do some longer flights with regional J than CX does (especially Australia) so they need a better product, whereas CX doesn't seem to think they can derive a premium from having a consistent lie-flat J product to places like Tokyo/Singapore/Osaka/Seoul (which would take away from space from Y), so they put in recliner J seats with 45" pitch (essentially equivalent to their longhaul Y+ product) into their regional 773s/A330s and cram in as many Y seats as they can. It's a different fleet concept- CX has more overall seats in a regional config A330 than SQ does in a regional A359, even though the A359 is a considerably bigger plane.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
I flew SQ to Manila last week, and was disappointed when both flights were subbed from 787-10's to 777's with the old Y and J cabin products (2-2-2 Regional J). The catering was good and cabin crew were still wonderful (Outbound Y, inbound J) but still, it's never fun when the newest cabin products are swapped out for older products. Hopefully these issues are resolved by the time you fly.
This happened to me too. I was quite annoyed. Thankfully, I got to try the J seat on DPS-SIN recently. Sat in the middle section on the last row. I have to say that I’m quite pleased with the seat. It is a substantial improvement over the old regional J product. I also like that the space for your feet isn’t at an angle to the seat.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:51 am

Thanks for your kind comments, kaffir76! Appreciated!
Something to note for your upcoming MNL flights: SIA has had some issues with the engines on their 787-10's recently, and some of them are now grounded. This has meant that a number of 787-10 services have been subbed with other equipment types.
Urrrgh ... my flight this month has just been swapped to the A330 & it seems like it's till the end of May before it goes back to the 787.
I'll call in to see if I can be put on the 77W or 773 flights instead.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Urrrgh ... my flight this month has just been swapped to the A330 & it seems like it's till the end of May before it goes back to the 787.
I'll call in to see if I can be put on the 77W or 773 flights instead.
Which cabin class are you in? In economy, the A330 would have the best seat of the lot compared to all the old 777s. SQ doesn’t fly the 77W to MNL unless it’s a last minute swap. In JCL, the A330 seat is no different to the 773. The flights you’ll wanna catch is 912/919 flight pair operated by the 77E which has the 2006 lie-flat seats
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I flew this from BKK earlier this week, and agree that it is shockingly bad. For me the issue was the wrap-around portion of the seat back that extends around one side.
Besides obstructing most of the window view, I found it terribly constricting. It would have been a wonderful seat if that portion had been removed - I think the only
useful feature on it are the light switches.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:58 pm
Original Poster
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I flew this from BKK earlier this week, and agree that it is shockingly bad. For me the issue was the wrap-around portion of the seat back that extends around one side.
Besides obstructing most of the window view, I found it terribly constricting. It would have been a wonderful seat if that portion had been removed - I think the only
useful feature on it are the light switches.
Ahh , someone else who gets it .
Got to fly it again on a day flight few days ago , not short enough a duration .
Where one plugs in the earphones on this AC could surely have been positioned better , my arm was jabbed about the whole time I was sitting ( with earphones plugged in ) . Actually , I ended up standing most of the flight .

And again on the return .. but sat all the way this time with a pillow as buffer .. tried not to move or the other control may be touched & the seat position might be moved , etcetera
The window is just too far away especially with the seat belt on .. Being in 11A .

As for the windows , with the auto shading , one cannot have them partially closed now , only varied shades or blackout for whole window . With manual ones , one can have them open or partially shut .

An opportunity for a great seat design has been missed by SIA .

Seems crew & other staff have received negative feedback

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 14, 2019 at 6:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.