Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The SQ 787 - shockingly bad J-class seat :( !!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:28 am
Original Poster
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Has anyone else been on this plane ?

If you think The SQ A350 - shockingly bad J-class seat is disastrous .. well , wait till you try this seat .
Have always preferred Boeing with her larger windows .
But while the AC is alright , what happened to the designers for the interior of the Boeing 787-10 ( 78J ) ?
We were looking forward with anticipation , very disappointed with this new capsule seat . We could not get comfortable even seated . Poor storage & surface to place items .
Folding arm rest is impractical and ‘ in the way ‘ for an already narrow seat .

Bad enough that the KIX - SIN flight was chosen to check out this acclaimed latest / new SIA AC albeit it was a redeye .

What is rather worrying is that this interior design will be what we should expect for all SIA ‘ s new planes !
Time to explore other carriers ?
Paying premium to be uncomfortable for hours does not sit well ..

We are avoiding flights with this AC .
There is no F , so one cannot even opt for F for hopefully wider and possibly more comfortable seat .

Our flight was last November and have been mulling about posting . But some others including non FTers have commented similar so floating it here .

How are the seats in Y ? Perhaps another thread ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 9, 2019 at 11:08 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I found it to be quite good for a regional product. I don't think its a good long haul seat, but for what SQ is using the 787 for I think it's great,
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: VA WP, UA WP, QF LTNB.
Originally Posted by jinrop
I found it to be quite good for a regional product. I don't think its a good long haul seat, but for what SQ is using the 787 for I think it's great,
It's on the redeye PER-SIN with only a five hour flight time wouldn't be enough to get a good rest in any case.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:05 am

For a short flight to Bangkok I thought the seat was a major improvement on the A330 seats and there was good space (albeit not as spacious as the 2013 / 2018 J products obviously).

Looking forward to flying it from Seoul later this year.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's the best regional J seat out there. Compare to CX or NH regional J, and then tell us how awful it is
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I would second that it's a good seat. Narrow for some, I can see that, but the sleeping space and the fact that I don't have to contort my body to fit my feet into some tiny cubby hole appeals to me. YMMV.

Definitely managed some decent sleep when flying it on the NRT route and for KIX would you really prefer the angled flat Weber seat on the A330?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
I find it to be perfectly fine for both the 787 and A350 (regional variant). I am over 190cm tall and had no problem sleeping nor any had any issues with storage space.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by buffegg
It's on the redeye PER-SIN with only a five hour flight time wouldn't be enough to get a good rest in any case.
Having flown all of the current SQ J products out of PER I can see how the 787 is probably not as comfortable for some to sleep in as the 2006 J 772ER seat due to it being much more narrow, but the 787 seat is definitely better than the 772 (Regional) and the A330 (Regional) which are angle flat in 2-2-2.

However the significantly better IFE and being able to recline all the way to flat rather than having to get your bed made means the 787 is my preference on that route. We do normally avoid the red eye though and usually fly on SQ226 (772ER) and SQ215 (787).

Unfortunately we have 2 A330 red eyes booked later in the year as we were using UA miles. I am praying for an aircraft swap.

Last edited by SponsorSFC; Mar 10, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
787 seat config (along with new A350 seat config) are my favourite SQ ones. The ones I can't stand are the 'at an angle' J seats (e.g. 777) that twist my back when I recline if I were to have any legroom at all.

I always try to pick the 787 flights on SQ where possible, although I don't actually like the 787 itself. I wish all the A350s had the 'regional' non-twist seat config.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
I think it's probably the best SQ J seat ... it's significantly better IMHO than the dreaded "angle" seats that seem to be marketed on being the widest but least practical seats in the sky, forcing you to sit near bolt upright, or flip over into a bed and either sit with an aching back against the "backrest", or lie flat at an angle and in a position no other airline has contemplated...there's good reason you don't find it anywhere else!
RTWFF and LTN Phobia like this.

Last edited by EGW1; Mar 11, 2019 at 10:45 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
787 seat config (along with new A350 seat config) are my favourite SQ ones.
I second this entirely. The sleeping position for me is so superior to the sideways nonsense of SQ's long haul J that I'm more than willing to accept the reduction in seat width (I'm a decently-sized 6'0" and 85kg). Plus I actually like being able to switch to bed mode on my own.

I mean my favorite photo of all time is this one from CNN/Richard Quest:

[edit] Having said that, I can also totally understand how one might not appreciate the walls wrapping around closely around one's head and shoulders when in bed mode.
LTN Phobia and kevinoh like this.

Last edited by shuigao; Mar 11, 2019 at 11:12 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Exactly, how can this be a healthy posture? For the not so familiar, this is the longhaul J seat you find on A350 and other SQ long haul planes, not the 787 regional seat. Sideways sleeping with knees pulled up somewhat is the only sensible option for people that are around 1.80m or taller. YMMV
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by shuigao
I second this entirely. The sleeping position for me is so superior to the sideways nonsense of SQ's long haul J that I'm more than willing to accept the reduction in seat width (I'm a decently-sized 6'0" and 85kg). Plus I actually like being able to switch to bed mode on my own.
As a sufferer of bad back (2 x slipped discs), that twist is a real pain.

I just cannot understand who on earth thought it was a good idea.

I was pretty upset to see A350s with those twist seats I really thought they'd have 787-like seats. I was rather relieved to get the A350s with the 787-like ones recently.

Originally Posted by demue
Exactly, how can this be a healthy posture? For the not so familiar, this is the longhaul J seat you find on A350 and other SQ long haul planes, not the 787 regional seat. Sideways sleeping with knees pulled up somewhat is the only sensible option for people that are around 1.80m or taller. YMMV
Thankfully, some of the A350s come with the 787-style seats now, much to my relief, but I wish all of the A350 had them.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Thankfully, some of the A350s come with the 787-style seats now, much to my relief, but I wish all of the A350 had them.
Regional. It's the regional seat.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:40 pm

The 787 seat are definitely a step up from the current angled almost flat regional C. But for my preference the seat is too narrow and the seats directly facing the aisle offer not much privacy. People moving along the aisle will bump into you. Sleeping position is coffin like which I do not like really.

Overall I still prefer the Longhaul J seat with its width as it offers the best sleeping comfort to me (which is most important to me). The flipping and average seating comfort is a compromise I can accept (I flip the seat once to sleeping position and once back before landing, so not really much of a discomfort to me).
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.