Search

J or F FRA to JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, BA, AF
J or F FRA to JFK?

Hi all,
I am planning my honeymoon for next summer, after having never flown anything but coach on US based airlines. I already snagged Business Direct JFK to ZHR on Swiss Air, and the rest of my intra-Europe flights will be cheap cash tickets. Where I'm stuck is on my return, where I'd like to experience SQ from FRA to JFK. TL;DR: Is F worth advantage award, should I book confirmed J and lose ability to waitlist, or be patient and do neither and hope another waitlist F opens up first?

Initially their website was showing 2 waitlist F tickets (76k each, 152k total), so I was going to waitlist those and then redeem 160k for confirmed J. However, once I transferred my 160k to first waitlist the F tickets, it turns out only 1 was available as I got the SQ website error about calling in. I waitlisted the 1 that was available, but have yet to redeem the 160k for confirmed J since I want the ability to waitlist other seats if I need (e.g. if another F waitlist opens up). So currently I have 160k Krisflyer, two individual waitlisted saver F seats on separate dates, and a waitlist for saver J for 2 since I knew I'd be waiting anyways as I decide what's best.

Now I'm at the point where I'm considering transferring another 100,000 Chase UR to SQ to just book two confirmed F for 260k total. (yes, I know it's old suites). Currently have 200k UR.

So my question is: Would you transfer the 100k UR and book the confirmed F, don't book anything/transfer anything yet and hope another waitlist F opens up and then cross my fingers and book confirmed J, or just book confirmed J and give up on the F waitlist (since I only have one ticket in F waitlisted, and we won't fly separate).
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
F on this route is the old suites. Its very nice but awards on this flight are tricky if you dont secire them the day they become available. J on SQ is going to blow away anything you have ever experienced in coach on a US Airline. Id probably just book in J and save myself the anxiety/headache. Its still going to be a HUGE step up from what you are used to
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

That is what I was thinking. 100k is almost two full one ways on another trip. I'll try and secure saver F in the future.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Also this is a 6hrs flight, J on SQ will be very comfortable, no need for F. SIN-JFK or vv. is a different consideration though personally I would be fine in J even for that longer haul. YMMV
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
F on SQ is best when you have a good Lounge to use. I don’t believe FRA has a great lounge option.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:17 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Originally Posted by zrs70
F on SQ is best when you have a good Lounge to use. I don’t believe FRA has a great lounge option.
SQ J lounge will be Lufthansa Business or Air Canada MLL (your choice).
SQ F lounge will be Lufthansa Senator or Air Canada MLL (your choice).

LH is same as above, EXCEPT in F add the First Class Terminal. Worth considering if you have the time to enjoy it.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
You may also redeem intra European flights for as low as 8K miles (UA). Non ULCC cash fares may be high depending on the season.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:14 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Not clear if you may already realize this / have this in mind, but Lufthansa First Class awards generally only become available to partner airlines about 2 weeks before the departure date, but are often fairly readily available within that window, especially if you have a day or two wiggle room on your dates. I think SQ F would be better than LH F, but LH F is probably better than SQ J, especially because you'd get to use the First Class Terminal at FRA, which you don't get when flying SQ.

So, one option would be to book SQ J now, but keep an eye on LH availability around 2 weeks out (assuming that's not the day you're getting married, anyway!) and if it becomes available, book LH F using those same SQ miles (or other *A miles if you preferred) -- SQ's fees to change/cancel awards are fairly modest.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

That's a good idea. I highly doubt I'll ever get 2 seats on the SQ F waitlist, so may as well just book the 80K J seats (not much worse than the 70k United Saver I booked), and if something opens up on LH F next June, see if I can get on that.

I've never looked into partner awards through SQ, looks like it'd be 95k/person in first on a partner from Europe to North America. For fun I looked for next week on SQ.com and couldn't get any LH flights to show up FRA->JFK. Maybe it's just since it's Christmas time, but I'll keep checking in June!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by bgriff
I think SQ F would be better than LH F, but LH F is probably better than SQ J, especially because you'd get to use the First Class Terminal at FRA, which you don't get when flying SQ.
LH F is on par with SQ old Suites & a different planet from SQ J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.