Wiki Posts
Search

24 hour cancellation experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
24 hour cancellation experience

I booked a flight on the wrong dates and cancelled within an hour. The booking was "non refundable" but under FAA regulations there is supposed to be a 24 hours free cancellation option (the tickets are for the spring). SQ refunded a small amount of the purchase price.

Has anyone had experience with this? I could dispute the credit card charge but I'd prefer not to go this route.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is DOT, not FAA, which requires carriers to provide the 24-hour cancellation for tickets purchased at 7+ days and which are to or from the US.

1. What was the routing you purchased?
2. What was the first departure date on the ticket?
3. At what date and time did you purchase the ticket?
4. At what date and time did you cancel?

Need that information to answer your question.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

It was JFK-FRA-JFK in early April. I cancelled online within 2 hours of booking, it was a few days ago during the SQ sale.

Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In that case you should be able to cancel for full refund regardless if it was a non-refundable fare. As long as you have the time stamped confirmation and cancellation emails from SQ you should be fine.

I would call or email them in the US, share the facts, remind of DOT guidelines and request this refund to be corrected. The automated ticket cancellation process can't handle this scenario I think. This requires a human intervention.
sbs2716g likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:46 am
Original Poster

It was a non refundable fare.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:04 am

Accordingly to SQ website, you can’t cancelled online for this. You need to contact the local SQ office to do the cancellation.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that is just what I was hoping for. I did the cancellation online just to make sure that I had met the deadline.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The cancellation is covered by the DOT on timing, but the Rule permits the carrier to specify how a cancellation is made. SQ requires a call. What I don't know is what happens if you don't call until outside the 24 hours.

At a minimum, I would call back and ask what they are talking about given that you did cancel within 24 hours, even if you did it online.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Seems like you must call to cancel in order to get a full refund. I hope the word must in their conditions below isn’t a deal breaker. I would follow the advice in the post above and hope that does the trick.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...tions-refunds/
Cancellations and refunds
You may cancel your Singapore Airlines ticket online for a refund if you’ve purchased a ticket on a refundable fare. If you cancel a non-refundable ticket, only the taxes will be refunded. The refund will be credited to the credit/debit card used to purchase the ticket. In some instances, a cancellation/refund fee may apply. To qualify for a refund, you must cancel your ticket within the deadline stated on your booking.

If you’ve purchased a ticket for a flight to or from the USA, you may cancel your ticket without penalty within 24 hours of your booking – as long as it’s more than a week before your flight departs. To ensure that you get a full refund, your cancellation must be made with your local Singapore Airlines office.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
It is DOT, not FAA, which requires carriers to provide the 24-hour cancellation for tickets purchased at 7+ days and which are to or from the US.
That's not actually the rule. It applies to all flights marketed in the US.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:51 am

It does NOT require 24 hour free cancellation. It requires 24 hour free cancellation..OR,,,a 24 hour fare hold. Don't get caught with the latter by thinking the former always applies....
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:02 am
Original Poster

I will call them and let people know what happens. I have a good friend who is a lawyer, and sometimes a strongly worded lawyer letter will resolve issues like this if they are being recalcitrant.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Rom Sac
I will call them and let people know what happens. I have a good friend who is a lawyer, and sometimes a strongly worded lawyer letter will resolve issues like this if they are being recalcitrant.
If in doubt, bring out the lawyers
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I would have called them as soon as you realized through this forum that it is the best course of action. Waiting longer may unnecessarily complicate resolution, but YMMV.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Rom Sac
Any update?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.