Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

TR8122 / SQ8122 - Scoot seemingly replaced with SQ charter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:47 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Hello everyone,

I just want to ask a question about TR8122/SQ8122. My sister was booked to fly on TR3 on Nov 18, which was subsequently changed to either TR8122 or SQ8122. I say either, because the OTA (yes, I know I shouldn't have used an OTA) that was used, sent an email saying that her flight has been changed to SQ8122. However, when I pull up the booking on the Scoot website, it says TR8122, and still says that it is to be operated by a Scoot 787-9.

A search for a flight booking on Scoot on Nov 18 between Sydney and Singapore renders no results, and searching up SQ8122 on Expertflyer pulls up a seat map, for a 777-200 operating at the same time that the supposed TR8122 flight would operate. Neither flight can be booked online.

I have not gotten any information from Scoot, and judging from their website, everything is business as usual.

So what exactly is happening here?

Additionally, I understand SQ has been doing these charters for Scoot in the past, what is it like? Does anyone have any experience?

Thank you for your time,

Clubeurope
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:36 am

This is most likely related to Rolls Royce Trent engine issues: https://mothership.sg/2018/06/scoot-...without-perks/
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:45 am

Assuming you're booked in Economy expect to get a regular meal with soft drinks and juice only (no buy on board menu and no alcohol for purchase), the IFE will be switched off.

More details here:
https://onemileatatime.com/scoot-leasing-singapore-777/
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
This is most likely related to Rolls Royce Trent engine issues: https://mothership.sg/2018/06/scoot-...without-perks/
Originally Posted by henrus
Assuming you're booked in Economy expect to get a regular meal with soft drinks and juice only (no buy on board menu and no alcohol for purchase), the IFE will be switched off.

More details here:
https://onemileatatime.com/scoot-leasing-singapore-777/
thanks for your replies everyone, unfortunately I've read those, and was hoping for some insight from actual experience.

in spite of that, thank you for your time.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
thanks for your replies everyone, unfortunately I've read those, and was hoping for some insight from actual experience.

in spite of that, thank you for your time.
Given that very few of the charter flights are operatng you're very unlikely to find an actual review.

They did also use an SQ aircraft instead of a TR one to Melbourne last year and I remember reading a trip report online but can't find it anywhere.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:09 am

The kind of equipment swap you want... - SQTalk
little bit of info here

but think what you've read is correct - no TV, no alcohol, everyone gets a standard meal and that's about it
clubeurope likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
The kind of equipment swap you want... - SQTalk
little bit of info here

but think what you've read is correct - no TV, no alcohol, everyone gets a standard meal and that's about it
thanks for the link sammyg901, I suppose that is informative enough being from an actual passenger.

cheers
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Well it has to be a positive with SQ aircraft ... we took Scoot down to MEL a couple of weeks ago and I assume due to the engine issues it took a very easterly route (close to DRW) and took an hour longer than all other flights to MEL +/- 24 hrs from the flight including a Scoot 787 flight 14 hrs earlier.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:34 am

Has anyone noticed any pattern to when they are scheduling these wet lease substitutions on the SYD flight? There seem to have been a few 2 week blocks throughout the year where they've been doing it and I'm wondering if there is any rhyme or reason or ability to predict. Not urgent by any means but we're on TR3 in January and I'd just kind of like to know what to expect.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Hello everyone,

I just want to ask a question about TR8122/SQ8122. My sister was booked to fly on TR3 on Nov 18, which was subsequently changed to either TR8122 or SQ8122. I say either, because the OTA (yes, I know I shouldn't have used an OTA) that was used, sent an email saying that her flight has been changed to SQ8122. However, when I pull up the booking on the Scoot website, it says TR8122, and still says that it is to be operated by a Scoot 787-9.

A search for a flight booking on Scoot on Nov 18 between Sydney and Singapore renders no results, and searching up SQ8122 on Expertflyer pulls up a seat map, for a 777-200 operating at the same time that the supposed TR8122 flight would operate. Neither flight can be booked online.

I have not gotten any information from Scoot, and judging from their website, everything is business as usual.

So what exactly is happening here?

Additionally, I understand SQ has been doing these charters for Scoot in the past, what is it like? Does anyone have any experience?

Thank you for your time,

Clubeurope
ScootBiz,
I had similar situation of being forced to change from TR12(ScootBiz) to SQ8122. They can not tell me if I will be placed in premium class, wonder what normally happens in this situation ( I mean will I be put in random economy seat near the toilets as I am not allowed to mark seat before flight)? Thanks for any insights.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by FTF3333
ScootBiz,
I had similar situation of being forced to change from TR12(ScootBiz) to SQ8122. They can not tell me if I will be placed in premium class, wonder what normally happens in this situation ( I mean will I be put in random economy seat near the toilets as I am not allowed to mark seat before flight)? Thanks for any insights.
I expect you will be assigned a seat in the SQ business cabin, providing there are enough seats to accommodate those booked into ScootBiz - that would depend on which version of SQ's 777-200 is used and numbers of ScootBiz pax.

If you cannot be accommodated in the biz cabin, then you should offered either a full refund, a free date change, or perhaps an emergency exit economy seat.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
If you cannot be accommodated in the biz cabin, then you should offered either a full refund, a free date change, or perhaps an emergency exit economy seat.
Ha ha mate this is Scoot we're talking about here, you'd be lucky to be offered any of those. Have experienced an invol downgrade on Scoot and it was VERY unpleasant.
a) The downgrade took place at the airport, there was no earlier offer to reschedule etc
b) Scoot employees in Australia are not permitted to handle compensation for downgrades, nor indeed will they supply any downgrade-info in writing - of course this is contrary to Australian CAA regulations. They will verbally direct you to contact their awful call center to discuss compensation. In the end we got a refund thru an Amex chargeback
c) We were indeed moved to "preferred" bulkhead seats in Y, and the people who thought they had paid for those bulkhead seats were kicked out into more disagreeable Y seats. Except, on the Scoot 787 the bulkhead Y seats in the middle section are possibly the worst seats in the world because...
d) ..where there is normally a passage between the two aisles at the entrance-door, Scoot has crammed this with extra Y seats (however did they get that past the safety certification?) There's two aisles and no connecting passages. So , for example, when people are boarding, if their seats are across the other aisle they have to climb through the row of middle seats at the bulkhead, or go all the way down the back of the aircraft around thru the galley to get to the other aisle. Similarly there is only one middle-section toilet and it's on the far side so we had a constant stream of climbers over us the whole journey.

Be grateful if they wet-lease a plane from someone - anyone - else, it can't be as bad as the Scoot planes
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:08 am

Looks like this is continuing through at least the end Jan. Currently my Feb flight is zero'd out but still scheduled on a Scoot 787, but flights aren't back on sale until Feb 6th so I'm a little in no-mans land currently!

Unfortunately the flights since 1st Jan seem to be operated by a regional config 777-200 vs a long haul configured 777-200ER and according to the seat maps remain so throughout Jan, so not quite the win for ScootBiz passengers as it was previously!

Also - seems like they assign the seats in advance- e.g. it's currently Monday night and the seats are assigned for Wednesday flight already. So showing up early at the airport seemingly wouldn't make any difference in being able to score a better/specific seat

Last edited by sammyg901; Jan 7, 2019 at 5:24 am
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:56 pm

Edited

Last edited by lkar; Jan 8, 2019 at 8:52 pm
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:57 pm

I flew TR3/SQ8122 a couple of days ago. It was hard to find too much information about it before flying it so I thought I’d recap the experience here since it appears that this has been going on now for nearly a year. We were booked in scootbiz, so I can’t speak to the experience in economy. For about $520 per person, it was a pretty excellent experience. I may try to add some pictures after we download all of our vacation pictures.

I noticed that Scoot appeared to stop selling TR2 and TR3 on a rolling basis about 3 weeks or so in advance throughout December, and so I monitored our flight. About three weeks prior, they stopped selling it. Two and a half weeks before the flight, I received the e-mail from Scoot about the charter. As others have mentioned, it noted no IFE and lifting of the ban on bringing outside food. Rather ridiculously, the email said that changes would be allowed up to a week before the flight by calling in, but only upon paying a change fee and the difference in fare. I guess this is more liberal than Scoot’s ordinary and apparently very harsh no-changes policy, but barely.

We were four travelling together on two different bookings and I couldn’t figure out any way to view the reservation on line – either on Scoot’s website or SQ’s – so I tried calling to see if they could keep our seats together. Scoot said that would have to be requested at check in.

We used a car service from our hotel in Sydney, and the driver used an app to figure out whether there were flight delays and to figure out where to drop off, and said he couldn’t see our flight. We asked to be brought to Singapore’s check in area, because that’s what the e-mail said. When we got to the airport, our flight also wasn’t on any of the monitors, either as a TR or SQ flight. The SQ desks were easy enough to find, though, but they directed us to a separate area away from the regular SQ queues – pretty close just around the corner. Staff were wearing Singapore Airlines uniforms but they enforced all the Scoot conditions like luggage allowance, etc. (As an aside, I had a funny conversation with the agent who checked us in. She asked us how long we were staying in Singapore. I said 2 days. She noted that since we were from USA flying one way from Sydney to Singapore, there was a good chance the Singapore immigration officer would ask us for written proof of return to the United States. I noted that we were flying SQ from Singapore to the USA in a couple days and asked whether she might be able to print us something. She said words to the effect that “I am Scoot.” I started to say something and she saw me looking at her Singapore Airlines badge, and sort of mumbled, “well, today I am Scoot.”)

Our seats mapped over to pretty equivalent what we had reserved on Scoot so that was good. Tickets were on SQ business class stock. I asked about whether we could use the lounge. She said no. I was going to test it, but we ended up getting 4 good seats together in the Amex lounge so I saw no reason to leave there.

Boarding was easy and efficient. All gate crew were in Singapore uniforms and seemed to have SQ sensibilities and service attitudes. We were on the regular 772, not the ER, so the seating was 2-2-2 in the reclining seats, no lie flat. Still, I found the seats to be fine for the flight, and probably significantly better than Scootbiz, though I can’t say for sure. TR3 is a day flight and so the absence of lie flat wasn’t that important but it would be more significant for TR2, the night flight from Singapore, I think. I was overall happy with the flight, though there was something funky going on with the cabin pressure. I could feel it more than usual and an unopened bag of chips that we brought was bursting at the seams due to unequal pressure inside and outside the bag. There were a couple of little kids on the plan who were really miserable I think maybe with the pressure.

After the safety video, they turned off the IFE and the electrical outlets did not work. We had charged up our devices and had a couple of spare chargers so this was fine. We knew in advance to download entertainment. So, all good. There was a small blanket at each business class seat.

The flight itself was a bit surreal. The forward galley was completely empty and deserted. The crew didn’t even sit up there. All service was from the galley between the two business class sections. The lav near the forward galley was open, though, and one time I went up there to see one of the pilots basically returning to the cockpit from the lav.

The meal was served immediately after reaching cruise altitude. Those who had reserved vegetarian or special meals got stickers put on their seats and all were served first. Everyone else was given a choice between chicken curry or beef stew. I had the chicken. It was ok. It was a single plate with some packaged cheese and crackers, a roll, and a salmon looking appetizer (I didn’t eat it). Beverages were limited to water or juice. After the meal service, which lasted maybe an hour into the flight, the crew essentially just hung out in the galley talking to one another and brought trays of pre-poured water and juice around every once in a while.

None of the little Singapore touches were present, but for an 8 hour flight the seat was plenty comfortable and it was a nice ride. Arrival was in T2 at what appeared to be a Scoot station and baggage came quickly. Immigration was severely backed up at T2, but that isn’t Scoot’s issue.

When I bought the tickets, they were a third of the price as SQ, BA or QF business class. I feel like it was a really good deal in how it worked out. Happy to answer any questions.
NetJets Germany likes this.

Last edited by lkar; Jan 8, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.