Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore is suspected to be misleading customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore is suspected to be misleading customers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
You are suspected of making false claims...
RTWFF likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:05 pm

OP obviously didn't read FlyerTalk first LOL
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by indogulf
SQ's website is extremely misleading in its terms and conditions. I have booked many flights directly on the website and selected fares that state Complimentary Changes and when trying to change I have been asked to pay a $100 change fee. The whole point of my buying the higher fare was the fact that changes were free.

I always keep a screenshot of the fare rules and use that when they say a fee applies. Even the documentation they email you shows $0 change fees. My last time in Singapore I finally found an airport agent who admitted that their website does not sync with the filed fare rules and that this is not an isolated case. I suspect the same applies to Upgrade requirements on their website.
you sure it is complimentary change or change is allowable.

many people got confused, and assume the later means free change
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by ermen
i stand corrected. on closer look on a desktop - the booking screenshot does say one-class upgrade.
don't think OP now has a leg to stand on - and SQ have reasonably put everything out there in plain English.
There is zero basis to say that SQ is misleading.
the screen shot also show eco to biz upgrade.

the issue is there are flights that one class upgrade means eco to biz
clubeurope likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by ermen
think about it from a lay person's perspective who aint know anything about the upgrade game, they could be justified in feeling mislead given their website in the booking phase did try to "helpfully" but in the miles neede for upgrade, but ended up giving extraneous info (ie the Y to J) upgrade. you could reasonably believe that such am upgrade would be allowed. however, not sure if its like the law "ignorance of the T&C is no excuse" .

unfortunately, whats done is done.

is there a non-PE flight available on the SIN-PEK route? perhaps try to move into that, THEN apply for upgrade.

otherwise, maybe cancel the ticket and try to redeem a straight business saver upgrade?

edit: the more I think about it i think OP may have a prima facie case to argue misleading conduct. the fact is on the booking screen it lists Y to J upgrade miles - OP could have a reasonable basis to rely (and believe) it could be done. note again it would have been simple to but a plain text asterix * that says one class only allowed.

now upgrades though are at the discretion of SQ though - can SQ just apply an arbitrary rule and deny OP the upgrade?
I am quite sure KF rules will dictate one class upgrade. Actually sometimes discounted pe is cheaper than almost flexible eco fare.

why not book pe and upgrade to biz?
RTWFF likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:59 pm

Actually it will be better to redeem a business class ticket at 35K instead of upgrading at 33k?
clubeurope likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Actually it will be better to redeem a business class ticket at 35K instead of upgrading at 33k?
if you are upgrading, you still get the actual miles you flying. SIN-PEK-SIN will earn you around 5,500 miles... so technically you are paying only 27,500 for upgrade.

I do not now for SQ, but in some airlines, upgrade normally "easier" to secure.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lingua101

you sure it is complimentary change or change is allowable.

many people got confused, and assume the later means free change

Definitely free change - clearly written as "Complimentary" on the E-ticket document I received. After sending it to their reservations center they acknowledged that the document states Complimentary and that there is an issue with their systems.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by indogulf
Definitely free change - clearly written as "Complimentary" on the E-ticket document I received. After sending it to their reservations center they acknowledged that the document states Complimentary and that there is an issue with their systems.
In my experience, it's not only their systems, but SQ has got to have some of the dumbest non-flight staff in the entire industry. Absolutely believable they have no clue your tix allows for the change, and insist it doesn't, though it obviously does. I booked a flight once, from NA - Asia, on SQ, and cancelled 10 hours later, because of a change in plans. Called SQ to cancel per US 24 hour rule, and they insisted I was pass 24 hours, not realizing there was a time difference. I assured the person that I even have a email time stamped with my receipt showing I'm well within 24 hours; but, to no avail--person insisted I'm pass the 24 hour rule (either didn't care, didn't understand the time difference, or just thick as a brick), and will not cancel absent the fee.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:49 am

To OPs point if there is the term 'Upgrade to one class only basis' why does the screen show 'Upgrade from Economy to Business' as an option for 33-65k points as well?

Is it really that hard for SQ to have different hover statements reflecting to the type of plane used/fare products offered for specific flights?

Looking at it amaturishly from a customer standpoint, the conflicting statements creates confusion.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:22 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
I agree with you.
"Saver upgrade from Economy Standard to Business: 33000 miles required" says it all.
You have to add 33 000 miles to your economy ticket to access a Business seat
it's TOTALLY misleading !
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

I also agree its very misleading. the average consumer, and even FTers like myself who haven't had this specific situation, would be mislead into thinking its 22K miles to upgrade from Y -> PEY and 33K miles to upgrade from Y -> J. Its kind of logical, more miles to upgrade to the higher class.
If the airline booking page shows this info, then there is no reasonable assumption that I would still need to take my magnifying glass out and examine the fine print from the KrisFlyer upgrade chart.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:39 am

I believe this is the same for BA as well.... not sure about other airlines
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe now we can change the thread title to something meaningful?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.