Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore is suspected to be misleading customers

Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Recently I booked a ticket with SQ to fly from SIN to PEK, knowing the aircraft is A380, I planned to redeem some miles to give myself a sweet treat from business class.

Before I made flight booking, I googled the fare class that is eligible for the upgrade with miles and confirmed that Y class is eligible. To double confirm, I even made a dummy booking and saw that the fare class I chose is definitely eligible for upgrade with miles.

So I instructed my travel agent to book the flight, issue the ticket, and I went ahead to call SQ to make upgrade. To my surprise, the SQ agent told me that, I have to pay to upgrade from economy class to premium economy class first, then I can redeem miles to upgrade from PE to business class. I'm like, what? And the agent kept saying so, even the supervisor was telling me the same story: only one-class upgrade is allowed for upgrade with miles, meaning that upgrading from E to Business can only be done when PE doesn't exist on the aircraft or PE is sold out. If PE exists and there's seat available, we have to upgrade from E to PE first, then upgrade from PE to B.

Well, of course I argued and it was in vain, I went to check the award chart from SQ website, and found that there is a small line confirming what the agents
said:

Now it comes to another question: Is SQ misleading the customers during booking? As when customer makes booking online, what they see is just "Allowed" or "Not Allowed" for upgrade with miles, you can see the detailed mileage requirement for the upgrade, it even lists out different mileage requirement for different types of upgrade (From E to PE, or from E to B) . IT DOESN'T SAY ONE-CLASS UPGRADE ONLY AT ALL.

Sometimes customers intentionally book higher class in order to be eligible for upgrade to business/first class, but look at the booking page, common logic could be that, customers have options to choose from upgrading from E to PE or from E to B. But, reality is, if you are looking at upgrading to B, customers pay more for higher fare class but it's just won't work.

I don't want to use strong word like "fraudulent" to describe how SQ behaves, but "misleading" is definitely what SQ is doing. Of course, they can say "we reserve all the rights" blah blah or provide me like 20-page T&C that only my attorney is paid to read them through. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed with what I just experienced.

Did anyone from here have such experience with SQ? Or maybe I've missed something important from the booking page, please let me know. If I'm right about it, I'm going to file an official complaint against SQ.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lovanda
Now it comes to another question: Is SQ misleading the customers during booking?
No. End of story.

FWIW - there are reasons when frequent travelers resist PEY.
RTWFF and NetJets Germany like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:10 am

Now it comes to another question: Is SQ misleading the customers during booking? As when customer makes booking online, what they see is just "Allowed" or "Not Allowed" for upgrade with miles, you can see the detailed mileage requirement for the upgrade, it even lists out different mileage requirement for different types of upgrade (From E to PE, or from E to B) . IT DOESN'T SAY ONE-CLASS UPGRADE ONLY AT ALL.

Sometimes customers intentionally book higher class in order to be eligible for upgrade to business/first class, but look at the booking page, common logic could be that, customers have options to choose from upgrading from E to PE or from E to B. But, reality is, if you are looking at upgrading to B, customers pay more for higher fare class but it's just won't work.

I don't want to use strong word like "fraudulent" to describe how SQ behaves, but "misleading" is definitely what SQ is doing. Of course, they can say "we reserve all the rights" blah blah or provide me like 20-page T&C that only my attorney is paid to read them through. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed with what I just experienced.

Did anyone from here have such experience with SQ? Or maybe I've missed something important from the booking page, please let me know. If I'm right about it, I'm going to file an official complaint against SQ.
U claim that SQ did not mention one class upgrade in the above image. But it clearly show that it mention one class upgrade.
wxman22, clubeurope, RTWFF and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta PM
Next time, I would call SQ to purchase ticket and for the upgrade since the two are linked.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:56 am

I assume members who play the mileage game all know that krisflyer miles upgrade can only be done one class up, not 2 classes. The T&C did indicate so.

On the condition of the above rule, what you've highlighted is for:
1) PEY UG to J (for flights w PEY)
2) Y UG to J (for flights w/o PEY)

Probably better to ask around in future to avoid such misunderstanding in future.
​​
RTWFF likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: SQ & QF
You don't do your homework properly and can't do what you want. So you come to the conclusion that SQ is misleading customers?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
SQ's website is extremely misleading in its terms and conditions. I have booked many flights directly on the website and selected fares that state Complimentary Changes and when trying to change I have been asked to pay a $100 change fee. The whole point of my buying the higher fare was the fact that changes were free.

I always keep a screenshot of the fare rules and use that when they say a fee applies. Even the documentation they email you shows $0 change fees. My last time in Singapore I finally found an airport agent who admitted that their website does not sync with the filed fare rules and that this is not an isolated case. I suspect the same applies to Upgrade requirements on their website.
s115 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
The one class upgrade rule isn't even unique to SQ. Pretty much any major airline follows this same guideline, otherwise they would be giving away too much value for their miles.
RTWFF and JaysonW like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Very frustrating for someone who doesn't know the minutiae of the rules, but the screenshot does state the "one class basis" rule. I agree it's confusing that they list upgrade options that aren't relevant to the route flown, such as Y to J, but I guess it would be a lot of work to have the website pull information from the award chart database AND from a database that was kept up to date with information about which of the 12 aircraft configurations flies each route (and, of course, SQ reserves the right to alter the type of plane at their discretion). Just unfortunate your TA didn't know the upgrade rules.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
think about it from a lay person's perspective who aint know anything about the upgrade game, they could be justified in feeling mislead given their website in the booking phase did try to "helpfully" but in the miles neede for upgrade, but ended up giving extraneous info (ie the Y to J) upgrade. you could reasonably believe that such am upgrade would be allowed. however, not sure if its like the law "ignorance of the T&C is no excuse" .

unfortunately, whats done is done.

is there a non-PE flight available on the SIN-PEK route? perhaps try to move into that, THEN apply for upgrade.

otherwise, maybe cancel the ticket and try to redeem a straight business saver upgrade?

edit: the more I think about it i think OP may have a prima facie case to argue misleading conduct. the fact is on the booking screen it lists Y to J upgrade miles - OP could have a reasonable basis to rely (and believe) it could be done. note again it would have been simple to but a plain text asterix * that says one class only allowed.

now upgrades though are at the discretion of SQ though - can SQ just apply an arbitrary rule and deny OP the upgrade?

Last edited by ermen; Nov 4, 2018 at 2:28 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by onlySIA

options that aren't relevant to the route flown, such as Y to J, but I guess it would be a lot of work to have the website pull information from the award chart database AND from a database that was kept up to date with information about which of the 12 aircraft configurations flies each route.
actually i dont think it is that difficult at all. the fact there is a PE fare n the same screen as the Y to J upgrade miles needed is quite telling and suggests the script already checks for PE fares.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
And is the same for CX
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Sounds more like ignorance on the OPs part rather than SQ being misleading.

Still dont know what the OPs beef with Singapore is, though.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
IT DOESN'T SAY ONE-CLASS UPGRADE ONLY AT ALL.
It says "Upgrade awards are offered on a one-class upgrade basis" just above the area that you highlighted in yellow.
sozq2121 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by ermen

edit: the more I think about it i think OP may have a prima facie case to argue misleading conduct. the fact is on the booking screen it lists Y to J upgrade miles - OP could have a reasonable basis to rely (and believe) it could be done. note again it would have been simple to but a plain text asterix * that says one class only allowed.
i stand corrected. on closer look on a desktop - the booking screenshot does say one-class upgrade.
don't think OP now has a leg to stand on - and SQ have reasonably put everything out there in plain English.
There is zero basis to say that SQ is misleading.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.