Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Transfered Amex MR points from my wife's account into my Krisflyer account. Consequen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfered Amex MR points from my wife's account into my Krisflyer account. Consequen

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Transferred Amex points from my wife's account into my Krisflyer account. Consequen

I earn American Express Membership Reward points at a much higher rate than my wife does. For a long time I have transferred her points into my frequent flyer accounts. This helps us to keep my balances high which is more useful.
I recently transfer 51k MR points from her MR account into my Krisflyer account and successfully booked three tickets.
After about two weeks I received an email from Krisflyer noting that a mismatched transaction took place and to provide the proof that I owned the account. I provided copies of our passports and explained the situation exactly as above. Krisflyer responded that the ticket must be refunded and the 51k miles must be transferred into my wife's Krisflyer account. I asked Krisflyer to hold off, so I could transfer an additional 51k points from my Amex MR account requesting to leave the ticket intact. Krisflyer rejected that approach and went forward with the cancelation and the transfer. Once the flights were canceled, the award inventory reappeared thankfully and I simply rebooked the flights after transferring 51k miles out of my Amex MR account.
Krisflyer is certainly within their rights to do what they did. I did not receive an answer why cross account transfers are allowed by their IT. It should be easy enough to reject these transfers. The whole process was done via email and took approximately took weeks.
I am positing this as a data point in case anyone else has this issue.

Last edited by michaelr; Oct 16, 2018 at 8:04 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:22 pm

I'm assuming this is Amex USA. Are you an authorized user on your wife's Amex account? Amex USA allows transfers from MR to authorized user's FF accounts, so if KF doesn't like it they should take it up with Amex.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
KF rules that cc transfers must match the name on the account. It is not an Amex/KF issue but it is the rules of KF.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:41 pm

Transferring miles from Citi, names don't match exactly… problem? see post 10. Anyway, it would be a useful data point to know about the AU issue.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As others highlighted, im the case of Amex this isn't always clear cut and people may get confused with Amex rules and KF rules.

In the case described by the OP, KF acted within its rights, but is it really necessary, after hearing the explanation and knowing about the ambiguities on the Amex MR side, to reject an entirely reasonably proposal from OP to transfer in the 51k from his account before cancelling redemption tickets?

In my book, that is just unnecessary punishment and while the OP got lucky that award space reappeared, it could have been worse and SQ would have royally ticked off another customer. Unless someone is a repeat offender, customer centricity looks different.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

I felt as well that Krisflyer was out to punish me for the cross transfer. In the end I am sitting with 51k KF miles in my wife's account. It is a non-issue for me as I am certain I will be able to use these miles one way or another before they expire. It did leave a sour taste in my mouth, however. So far I have always had positive experiences with their customer service.
ofj likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by demue
As others highlighted, im the case of Amex this isn't always clear cut and people may get confused with Amex rules and KF rules.

In the case described by the OP, KF acted within its rights, but is it really necessary, after hearing the explanation and knowing about the ambiguities on the Amex MR side, to reject an entirely reasonably proposal from OP to transfer in the 51k from his account before cancelling redemption tickets?

In my book, that is just unnecessary punishment and while the OP got lucky that award space reappeared, it could have been worse and SQ would have royally ticked off another customer. Unless someone is a repeat offender, customer centricity looks different.
From my experience KF is a stickler and not very good at customer service to begin with. They don't understand "customer centricity".
ofj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.