Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

First time international business class flyer.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

So in December I will be making my first ever international business class flight, and would like to know what to expect from check in at the airport through TSA, lounges etc. To be more specific if you have experience flying IAH-Man-SIN would be great. Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by diverg
So in December I will be making my first ever international business class flight, and would like to know what to expect from check in at the airport through TSA, lounges etc. To be more specific if you have experience flying IAH-Man-SIN would be great. Thanks.
I've flown IAH-MAN on SQ. From a lounge perspective you'll have access to the United Polaris Lounge (this isn't the normal United Club). This wasn't open when I traveled, but I know some airlines (LH) don't even tell their customers this is an option. This lounge is about a 10 minute walk from the D concourse but is all connected air side (behind security).

OMAAT just did a review of the IAH Polaris Lounge

In terms of the SQ seats, its depends on preference. You can't just hit a button and hold it as the seat keep reclining until flat (like AA, UA, DL, etc.). You'll need to ask an FA to make the bed (the seat actually folds down). However, I think the bed is good (others think its a bit hard). Another odd thing about the seat is where your feet go when in bed mode. You'll need top lay at an angle so your feet slide into the foot well. If you can get a bulkhead seat that is preferred (no angle).

Overall, SQ is great. You're starting near the top in terms of service/experience. Only way from here is down
Dover2Golf and jsn55 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by JHake10
You can't just hit a button and hold it as the seat keep reclining until flat (like AA, UA, DL, etc.). You'll need to ask an FA to make the bed (the seat actually folds down).
Well you can do that yourself, there's nothing to it that is too complicated. It might be fiddly to return to the full seat, only because you to depress the catch in order to release it. Compared to the Suites seat which is a mystery to me... hahaha.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:30 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
BYO pyjamas as SQ do not give them out in bus class *serious*
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Is there any benefits flying business class, and getting through TSA checkpoints? I'll be at the airport way early to check out the lounge, but I still dislike long lines. My flight is on December 23, so I'm hoping the majority of the Christmas travel will have taken place on Friday and Saturday.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by diverg
Is there any benefits flying business class, and getting through TSA checkpoints? I'll be at the airport way early to check out the lounge, but I still dislike long lines. My flight is on December 23, so I'm hoping the majority of the Christmas travel will have taken place on Friday and Saturday.
Singapore Airlines participates in TSA PreCheck. Not sure if they offer that privilege to Business class travelers. At most airports there are separate lines for Business and First Class, so even if you dont get PreCheck, you will most likely be on a (relatively) shorter line.
jsn55 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, KF Gold/PPS
Originally Posted by knit-in
Singapore Airlines participates in TSA PreCheck. Not sure if they offer that privilege to Business class travelers. At most airports there are separate lines for Business and First Class, so even if you dont get PreCheck, you will most likely be on a (relatively) shorter line.
Anecdote: when I flew SQ J out of JFK back home a month ago, it was faster to go to the precheck line vs the biz/first line for security.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:33 pm

A couple of things:

1. Get on/off plane first (before economy pax)
2. Check-in luggage at business class counter (shorter line)
3. Check-in luggage will be priority and will be at carousel first

Enjoy your first longhaul J trip.
jsn55 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
don't think IAH int'l terminal doesn't have a precheck line, but you can walk over to the other terminals that have precheck
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by srs507

Anecdote: when I flew SQ J out of JFK back home a month ago, it was faster to go to the precheck line vs the biz/first line for security.
i was just in JFK past weekend and the J/F line feeds into the normal security line now. Which has the upside of now clearing security faster if there is a long line for J/F pax. It used to only feed into one security line and shared with a priority needs/handicapped services line which just made for a very slow experience. Not sure if it was a temporary thing as they also had a sniffer dog and everyone had to walk past it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.