Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ cancels flight, no substitute flight offered, no fare adjustment or refund

SQ cancels flight, no substitute flight offered, no fare adjustment or refund

Old Aug 9, 18, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy SQ cancels flight, no substitute flight offered, no fare adjustment or refund

I purchased roundtrip travel on Singapore Airlines from IND to MDC through a travel agent for $1,583. The final fight segment scheduled for mid-October SFO - IND is shown on my ticket as SQ1449.

Last week, SQ notified me that SQ1449 is canceled and will not operate. SQ neither offered me an alternative replacement flight nor a fare adjustment. Apparently, SQ intended to simply abandon me, leaving me stranded at SFO!

I booked United Airlines flight UA317 for the canceled segment (same day, approximately same time) at a one way fare of $162

SQ refuses to reimburse me the price of the substitute flight SFO-IND or any other compensation.

If the flight I paid for is not operating because the airline canceled it then shouldn't I be compensated? I am not at all at fault and have no control whatsoever over SQ flight schedules.

As it stands, I am paying twice for the SFO-IND segment. Singapore Air is unjustly enriched by taking money from me then failing and refusing to provide the promised service, a reasonable substitute, or fare adjustment.
Old Aug 9, 18, 5:06 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Did you try the hang up and call again option?

Mid October is still a while away. Having now bought a 2nd separate ticket they probably won’t touch it.

Personally i wouldn’t have bought the UA ticket / you’ll now need to check how much time between flights you have.
Old Aug 9, 18, 5:12 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
If it was booked through a travel agent, did you contact them?
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
If it was booked through a travel agent, did you contact them?
Yes, this is the pertinent question.
royng and kevinoh like this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC E35K, AS MVP, Delta GM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG/UA Plat
This is because SQ1449 is a codeshare Alaska flight. AS is terminating the route on September 30.
Old Aug 9, 18, 6:32 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
OP should deal with the TA on this. And presumably a full refund should be an option in such a circumstance.
royng likes this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller View Post
Did you try the hang up and call again option?
Mid October is still a while away. Having now bought a 2nd separate ticket they probably won’t touch it.
Personally i wouldn’t have bought the UA ticket / you’ll now need to check how much time between flights you have.
Phoning them a waste of time. Mid-October not far away at all considering only about 40 days to departure. Now that Alaska Air has pulled out, not many options to fly SFO-IND (actually, only two non-stop flights per day, both on United, and only one at the time I need), and at the price. Checking now, the price has increased 5% since I purchased.
Old Aug 9, 18, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes, this is the pertinent question.
Agent is of no help. Copied me on SQ reply which states no fare adjustment will be considered or made.
Old Aug 9, 18, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC E35K, AS MVP, Delta GM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG/UA Plat
Was the entire intinerary on one ticket?
Old Aug 9, 18, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
OP should deal with the TA on this. And presumably a full refund should be an option in such a circumstance.
I don't want a full refund, I want to make the trip. I only need reimbursement for the one way fare on the last leg of a 7 leg trip.
Old Aug 9, 18, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Was the entire intinerary on one ticket?
Yes.
Old Aug 9, 18, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by down2biz View Post
Yes.
I ask because routing through IND (airport) when you have to go all the way to Indonesia is not common. Curious what the routing is from (after) IND?

It sounds like IND is the final destination?
Old Aug 9, 18, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by down2biz View Post
Agent is of no help. Copied me on SQ reply which states no fare adjustment will be considered or made.
Sue them in small claims court for breach of contract. Consider complaint to your state AG.
Old Aug 9, 18, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA, AS
File a DOT complaint?
Old Aug 9, 18, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is an issue for your TA. Where is the TA located? Where are you located? Did you use a US-based credit card? Is this covered by your travel insurance?

Without knowing the above, it's impossible to give solid advice.

But, one piece of advice is to leave this be until after your return. It is highly unlikely that SQ will reimburse the separate ticket you chose to buy, but you certainly are entitled to a refund for the value of the segment cancelled. Fair warning: that may be a minimal amount or even $0 (and that may be why you have the answer you now have).

The reason for leaving this alone is that, pushed hard, either the TA or SQ may simply cancel and refund your entire ticket. That really leaves you stuck having to piece together a new itinerary. Once your trip is completed, you can deal with this mess.

Search this Thread