Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance redemption between India & Uzbekistan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold

Hi all,

My primary Star Alliance program is Singapore Krisflyer.

Recent developments about Uzbekistan e-visa got me thinking of probable options from Mumbai (BOM) to Tashkent (TAS).

I turned to SQ Krisflyer chart and to my joy, discovered that India and Uzbekistan are categorized as same region for Star alliance awards. So a roundtrip costs 25000 miles in economy and 45000 miles in business class.

Turned out that there were a very few airlines who operate into Tashkent; and even fewer Star Alliance members. In fact only one, Turkish Airlines.

So as far as redemption on Star Alliance is concerned, the only routing is BOM-IST-TAS. And thats a huge detour. BOM-TAS is 1542 miles as the crow flies, while BOM-IST-TAS comes out to be 5090 miles.

So my question is - Will Singapore let me book that routing, given that they specifically mention the number of miles between India and Uzbekistan and this is the only star alliance routing?

Any and every response is appreciated.

Update: I actually called them up and asked them if they could do it, and the answer is yes. So just leaving this here as a data point if anyone finds this useful.
mediator, NetJets Germany and Vyvd like this.

Last edited by deovrat; Jul 6, 2018 at 6:23 am Reason: Update
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by deovrat
Hi all,

My primary Star Alliance program is Singapore Krisflyer.

Recent developments about Uzbekistan e-visa got me thinking of probable options from Mumbai (BOM) to Tashkent (TAS).

I turned to SQ Krisflyer chart and to my joy, discovered that India and Uzbekistan are categorized as same region for Star alliance awards. So a roundtrip costs 25000 miles in economy and 45000 miles in business class.

Turned out that there were a very few airlines who operate into Tashkent; and even fewer Star Alliance members. In fact only one, Turkish Airlines.

So as far as redemption on Star Alliance is concerned, the only routing is BOM-IST-TAS. And thats a huge detour. BOM-TAS is 1542 miles as the crow flies, while BOM-IST-TAS comes out to be 5090 miles.

So my question is - Will Singapore let me book that routing, given that they specifically mention the number of miles between India and Uzbekistan and this is the only star alliance routing?

Any and every response is appreciated.

Update: I actually called them up and asked them if they could do it, and the answer is yes. So just leaving this here as a data point if anyone finds this useful.
Thanks for that info - not a route I had in mind but I have been thinking of SEZ-IST-SIN-SYD and wondering if SQ would price it as Africa - South Pacific @ 78,000 one-way in business class as it's the only (well almost) *A routing. Unfortunately the timing on the flights is not very "friendly" - i.e. you arrive at 4am in IST and depart at 2am the following day. Clearly the above route is also very round-about.
deovrat likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pschafer
Thanks for that info - not a route I had in mind but I have been thinking of SEZ-IST-SIN-SYD and wondering if SQ would price it as Africa - South Pacific @ 78,000 one-way in business class as it's the only (well almost) *A routing. Unfortunately the timing on the flights is not very "friendly" - i.e. you arrive at 4am in IST and depart at 2am the following day. Clearly the above route is also very round-about.
The good thing is that the SQ agent I spoke to, did not even need any convincing or feeding her routes or anything. In fact, without me prompting, she even suggested me BOM-FRA-IST-TAS and BOM-CAI-IST-TAS, both of which were longer than my itinerary !
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by deovrat
The good thing is that the SQ agent I spoke to, did not even need any convincing or feeding her routes or anything. In fact, without me prompting, she even suggested me BOM-FRA-IST-TAS and BOM-CAI-IST-TAS, both of which were longer than my itinerary !
What was the YQ on these flights?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The agent may have suggested those routes, but they also confirm the mileage required in line with your expectations?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Yes they did confirm the mileage required, which was exactly in-line with their award chart.

They also told me the YQ, which was more or less expected (read: high for LH, low for others).
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Wow, unexpectedly generous. I would have thought MPM will bust that option. Good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.